Warranty question

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Dusk Star, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So it's come to that time... My warranty is close to expiration.

And so I have a couple of questions.

I have Accidental Damage coverage through August 7th of 2014, but apparently my In-Home warranty expires on the 7th of August, 2013. (A week). What is the difference between these, and what coverage do I lose with the In-Home portion? Will I have to ship my laptop to the depot for repairs if I have an issue, and will non-accidental damage incidents still be covered? (Motherboard clock chip dying, gpu dying, stuff like that) It would seem odd to have longer accidental coverage than regular coverage - but I don't quite know how Alienware does that.

Thanks for any information you can provide!

2. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's weird. Normally AD cover runs concurrently with Hardware support warranty. You cannot specify AD cover longer than the hardware warranty, but you CAN have LESS AD cover than the main warranty itself if you chose to buy it that way when you got the machine - so from that perspective, it's very odd to see AD cover lasting longer than main warranty - I'd be on the phone checking that out firstly.

I know you have had a replacement recently, but the balance of your main warranty should pass over to the replacement and NOT be shortened. When did you buy the original, how much warranty did you take etc??

As for what AD covers, it won't cover hardware failure - that's what the main warranty is for. AD is purely for accidental damage such as drops etc: CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service | Dell

When your main warranty expires, if you run into hardware issues - that are not a result of an accident - you will not be covered. Eg. if a gpu dies, your machine is not under warranty for that type of hardware failure.

I have a feeling that there is a glitch somewhere with end dates. Get on the dog 'n' bone, check it out....

3. Dusk Star

Reputations:
    I agree, it's really strange to have the standard warranty expiring before the accidental damage warranty. I'll have to call back, hopefully I'll get someone who is better informed this time... (Last time I called I went to sales, thinking that would be the department to talk to to buy a warranty extension - apparently not)

I haven't purchased any warranty extensions thus far, and it seems that at least part of my old warranty transferred over to my replacement laptop. It's just the last year of regular protection that seems to have disappeared.

And having only a month of standard warranty on my replacement would be very unfortunate. So I'll see what talking will get me...

4. Klk450

Klk450 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They both should end on the same day, so it's a bit weird that one ends before the other. My warranty was about to expire so I renewed it and they both have the same expiration date.

5. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    Same here, they both should end on the same date. Having only Accidental Damage will not cover any other hardware related issues. You will only be covered to send the PC in if it had any type of accidental damage. I would suggest you to extend the in-home/phone warranty up to the same date that the CC Warranty covers you.

6. Dusk Star

Reputations:
    I'd just rather get it resolved through some method other than "Pay $450", especially as it seems I couldn't have purchased longer accidental coverage than regular coverage.

And if I had known it was expiring this year, I would have asked for the standard warranty to be extended when I received my replacement... (I was told my warranty went through 2014 then, too)

7. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But it generally doesn't work that way. The warranty of whatever is left is transferred over. I don't see it getting resolved any other way then paying for the extension.

Unless Dell throws you a serious bone here...

8. Dusk Star

Reputations:
    Well, I guess I got lucky then! Apparently my "Complete Care" and "XPS Technical Support" warranties go through 8/10/2014, and it's just the "Next Business Day Support QLX" that expires on the 10th. And apparently the XPS Technical Support part covers everything that the NBD part does. (Sort of makes sense, as the start date for the NBD coverage is listed as "8/10/2012", a year after I purchased my r3 - meaning it just gets updated each year)

And the tech I talked to put a note on my account saying the same! So on the chance that he wasn't correct, I should have at least some way to move forward. I hope.

Semi-related note : getting information from a sales guy is not recommended for your mental health. (I had earlier called sales to extend my warranty, and was told my accidental coverage lasted longer than my regular.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.