Warning: Some i7-6820HKs and i7-6700HQ have Uneven Core Temps due to Uneven Heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by iunlock, Oct 25, 2016.

?

Does your 6820HK have cores that are 5c or higher than the others?

1. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 5c.

17 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 10c

24 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 15c

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 20c

24 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. My 6820HK core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

20 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. Yes, I have a 6820HK where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 5c.

17 vote(s)
    10.2%
  8. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 10c.

16 vote(s)
    9.6%
  9. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 15c.

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 20c.

11 vote(s)
    6.6%
  11. My 6700HQ core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

15 vote(s)
    9.0%
  12. Yes, I have a 6700HQ where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Any CPU can has potential problem, it's not limited to only the 6820HK, it can happen to any of the current CPU's, including the 6700k...

Everyone should check their CPU's. I always do. It typically has been a very low percentage of a CPU manufacturered with that fault, but enough of a number to check each time I get a new one.

I would expect everyone that see's this thread realizes it's not just the 6820HK, it can be any CPU, this thread became a point of focus when we noticed a surprising turnout of "hot" core 6820HK's posted.

Check all your new and old CPU's :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    encheels likes this.
  3. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am currently wondering whether this fault just affects the temperature probe (which would result in a CPU swap being necessary but nonetheless...)
    My reason for this train of thought being that my CPU goes from 4X°C to 9X°C in less than 5 seconds once load is applied, which seems to indicate a defective cooling system or non working thermal compound.
    However, there is no "final" temperature for me at which the cores stay!

Even under a continuous load (Prime95, Dell stress test, ...) the temperature will hover between 8X°C and 9X°C, only staying at each temperature for one measuring interval.
    Additionally, the different tools that read temperature (I've tried AIDA64 and HWMonitor) are consistently showing that the cores will jump wildly in temperature at a moment's notice.
    E.g. one core will display a temperature of 75°C, the next interval will show a temperature of 93°C, then 82°C, ...
    This seems impossible to me due to thermal constraints - I can't imagine the core heating / cooling this quickly in such quick succession under a continuous load.

To test this theory, I have run AIDA64 and monitored the 4 cores' temperatures while being idle, measuring once each second.
    Have a look at the screenshot - this is definitely NOT normal.

I have contacted Dell's service and run through the usual built-in diagnostics, which didn't show any faults...
    However, I was asked to provide them with my measurements / screenshots and they will contact me again on Monday to discuss further actions.
    I'll keep you posted ;)

Attached Files:

hmscott likes this.
  4. Pallab

Pallab Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Never attach any images in nbr, give links to other websites. (nbr has image cache server problems, some of they are awake only at specific times)

what is the model of your laptop ?
    Are you on stock clock?
    One probable cause is that AIDA is not working prorperly. Uninstall & Get AIDA Engineer.
    Your CPU usage should be 100% but its pretty low, if its not from aida then this seems like a CPU fault .Maybe as Dell stated, the CPU is not giving proper diagnostic information.
    Use OCCT/hwinfo/prime95/cpu-z/AIDA Engineer and post the results here. (links to image hosting websites)

hmscott likes this.
  5. FrozenLord

Reputations:
    It's an Alienware 15 R3.
    Yes, I am running the system at stock clock and the CPU is idling.
    So there should not be any usage, which AIDA64 also agrees with.
    However, the temperature is bouncing up and down anyway, even though it should be pretty stable in this condition...

Dell has yet to state anything.
    So far, they have just requested my screenshots / measurements.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Pallab

Pallab Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So you are not stressing the cpu while tests??
    That statement was from AW_Umar regarding the CPU problem.

hmscott likes this.
  7. FrozenLord

Reputations:
    Yes, I am stressing the CPU while testing (especially if I am interested in the temperature differential and the maximum temperature).
    However, this screenshot ("AIDA64 idle.png") does show idle temperatures - so there is no stressing of any component involved (besides my nerves ;))

hmscott likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yees I know. Here below more of the same shiity from DELLIENWARE http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...te-guide-results.797373/page-25#post-10374532
    This time only a pitty 15C degrees temp difference between core #0 and core #3:eek:
    [​IMG]

Spartan and hmscott like this.
  9. garcha92

garcha92 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys I am here to talk about a few things i checked and found them to be unusual.

Unlike many people on the inter webs, my Alienware 15 R3 did not show symptoms of having any sort of electronics disease. But i was wrong. Because my laptop did not thermally shut down, I felt i did not have that problem.

At the same time, i did notice that i would get lags and hangs here and there, specifically when a transparent window would be displayed. The whole computer would hang and my mouse would not move and seemingly everything stopped for the moment.Even event viewer would not be able to express such an error. But i was plagued with the dwm.exe -desktop window manager- stopped responding.

The fix for this was completely stopping the intel HD 530 driver and device (using Fn + F7) and thankfully this option is available in our alienwares.

What i did next was to go and properly check my temperatures. I was running at 4GHz OC before this test and had played Witcher 3 and BF1 without any issues (hence my belief that nothing is wrong with my laptop), so i only expected victory. My GPU temps, because of me using MSI Afterburner, were known to me and were 69C max. But i never paid any attentiuon to my CPU. How wrong is was....

This is my CPU graph on load: http://i.imgur.com/xIroQpB.jpg

As you can see, there is a gap of about 20 degrees between the pairs of cores. Which cannot be good.

So thinking, actually fearing, that i might have to get this sexy machine replaced, I got myself some Arctic Silver 5, repasted, and performed the tests again. To my disappointment, and to the wisdom of those on this thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/warning-some-i7-6820hks-have-uneven-core-temps.797477/

it did not work even a bit. In fact this graph is with the paste on.

But even after this, there is a particular issue that has seen very little time in the public. I think it is the general lack of vocabulary for this issue that would make the expression of the problem so difficult, it cannot be searched for, and written about properly. This would result in two people having the same issue but different words for the issues. But here comes something very very peculiar:

This is the graph of my GPU when running both the intel HD 530 and the gtx 1070.

http://i.imgur.com/YN10IWn.jpg

It is very peculiar behavior, and i encourage everybody to install MSI afterburner on their laptops and check for this. As far as i can see, and you can too, by the graph,

http://i.imgur.com/FTixCRc.jpg

It stays onliune for a second, and the next second it turns off. Who do i say off? Because no sir, the temperature doesnt jump between 0 and 49 for example. When it says 49, it is 49 but just the next moment it is a "--" which reads it to be an unreadable value by virtue of the device being shut off completely.

I have decided to upload 3 videos of the same:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzj3rWonpXzaWkJOTHZEejRNUE0/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzj3rWonpXzaakZGU3VxS0ludEE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzj3rWonpXzaN2QxSjVXY2ZsT0k/view?usp=sharing

Please not this: I faced no issues while gaming. The GPU stood at 69C Max guys. This is a hell of a laptop as far as i saw its performance in gaming and temperatures of the GPU. The only gripes i have are the hangs and stutters. It also feels like these would cause DPC latency issues but i am in no mood to check for it anymore.

I have talked to a dell Rep about the GPU stutter, but not about the CPU thing. I will be telling him about my readings and get a new alienware 15 R3.

My system: Alienware 15 R3, FHD display. i7-6820HK. I have uninstalled software like Support Assist and DFS (Dell foundation services). I have performed clean installs on my system.

Regards

FrozenLord and hmscott like this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thanks for the awesome detailed info :)

I assume you have been posting this in AW NBR and other AW forums - if not please do, as that's where it will do the most good.

If you can also link back here for the "Hot Cores" Issue in your posts - where the CPU cores with equal load have a high temperature differential - some cores 10c-20c hotter than the other cores. Like you see even after repasting.

This Hot Core issue also affects the 670 :(

AW will need to replace your motherboard, or swap a new laptop with yours - the only ways to get a new 6820HK.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016