Warning: Some i7-6820HKs and i7-6700HQ have Uneven Core Temps due to Uneven Heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by iunlock, Oct 25, 2016.

?

Does your 6820HK have cores that are 5c or higher than the others?

1. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 5c.

17 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 10c

24 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 15c

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 20c

24 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. My 6820HK core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

20 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. Yes, I have a 6820HK where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 5c.

17 vote(s)
    10.2%
  8. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 10c.

16 vote(s)
    9.6%
  9. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 15c.

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 20c.

11 vote(s)
    6.6%
  11. My 6700HQ core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

15 vote(s)
    9.0%
  12. Yes, I have a 6700HQ where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes, when you have a couple of good test runs with temperature readings showing a large core differential, with screen shots of a program like hwinfo64 showing the temperature readings you can submit with your RMA ticket.

hwinfo64 also has a line showing Thermal Throttling. That would also be good to show as part of the readings screenshot, to bolster your RMA case.

A high CPU usage benchmark that pushes the 2 hot cores into Thermal Throttling is what you are looking to submit. This will show the hot cores and show the thermal throttling caused by them.

Show in the RMA that you know there have been other 6820HK CPU's reported with this hot core problem, and you would like a new laptop with a new 6820HK CPU, as this hot core problem won't be solved with a re-paste.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

Papusan likes this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    If you have an in home support agreement with Dell, you can request a replacement laptop or a replacement motherboard.

Normally I would suggest returning to the retailer asap so you don't get stuck with the bad CPU and have to work it out with an RMA to the maker, but if you have Dell support that might be your only practical choice.

When you contact Dell, let them know the CPU is bad and needs replacing, and let them provide you options.

In home replacement of the motherboard might be the quickest - make sure you verify it's a 6820HK motherboard and make sure to do a test run while the repair person is still there to make sure this new one doesn't have a problem.

Please let us know how it works out :)

3. Pallab

Pallab Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    replacement takes 7-10 days max

hmscott likes this.
  4. AndersTJ

AndersTJ Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies :)

I bought the laptop directly from dells website. So i will contact them and ask how they want to do it either give me a new one or get a repair man to come fix it.

What would you suggest tbh?

Just to make sure if i get the choice to get an repair person to come fix it what needs to be changed exatcly?

Thanks again.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    You are reporting a bad 6820HK CPU, so the 6820HK CPU needs replacing.

The 6820HK CPU is solder to the motherboard, so Dell will either offer to replace the motherboard with the bad 6820HK, with a new motherboard with a new 6820HK.

Dell can do that with an in home repair visit - I think you need to request / suggest this - or via a cross ship RMA return of the whole laptop.

AndersTJ likes this.
  6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd bet if this ever goes to a full recall they would kick their buts for going BGA.

hmscott likes this.
  7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    They'll chalk it up as just another cost of doing business just like with the GeForce 8600M GT back in the day, or more recently, Apple's recall of 2011 MacBook Pro models with the Radeon 67XX GPUs that would fail. They'll replace the parts the 3 years or whatever then move on to the next thing.

hmscott and tilleroftheearth like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    This is the kind of thing that could influence future methodologies. If the cost is high enough, and they think they can't mitigate the problem in the future, they'd have little choice but to change to replaceable CPU's to reduce costs overall :)

They do have rework stations to pull BGA parts and replace them, otherwise it wouldn't take too many complete loss motherboards with CPU and GPU to shoot the overall cost up high enough to make a design change using LGA look advantageous.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Papusan likes this.
  9. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are there any step-by-step instructions on how to best identify this problem?
    Maybe I am just fighting with the idea that my device is affected, but I'd love to be certain.

In prime95 I get 98 - 86 - 99 - 87 °C as maximum temperature for the 4 cores.
    Aida64 almost instantly signals that my CPU is throttling due to excess heat and shows 92 - 84 - 95 - 87 as the maximum temperature (I stopped after 32 seconds!).

Attached Files:

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    That looks conclusive to me, you are getting 12c+ Temperature differential between Cores 0 / 2 and Thermal Throttling on those cores at stock default settings, that's the problem we are talking about.

It would help define the results better if you can reset the Max temperature between runs. The Core 0 temp Max shows high too in the 2nd screen shot.

Maybe use hwinfo64 to display temps, it has a reset button / Icon on the bottom left you can click to reset temps.

Also, let the CPU cool down to idle temps between tests, and then reset to get a full range of view from low to high temps.

After reset, screenshot the idle hwinfo64 view, run the test, and get a screenshot just as the test nears end - showing maximum readings, then let the CPU cool, reset temps, screenshot, run test, another screenshot just as test nears end.

I use Windows "snipping tool" to grab just the dialog box / area to screen shot - rather than the "whole screenshot", it's easier to see the focus of the shot this way.

What laptop is this? If it's Alienware, return for cause - the CPU has bad core temperature differentials - if you have in home service ask for a laptop or motherboard replacement to get a new CPU.

Or, you may need to return it for AW to ship another. Make sure you note the serial number of the laptop to make sure you are getting another unit in return :)

If it's not Alienware and you can return to the retailer - you are still in the "no questions asked" return period - you don't need to hassle with explanations - just tell them "its not a good fit for me", and then purchase again from another retailer - from another shipment batch to make sure you get another clear shot at a good 6820HK.

You can try explaining the problem to the retailer and ask for another unit, but that might be problematic trying to get them to understand the issue. You have to decide how to approach this return from the start, if it isn't going your way, try again with another service agent.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)