Warning: Some i7-6820HKs and i7-6700HQ have Uneven Core Temps due to Uneven Heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by iunlock, Oct 25, 2016.

?

Does your 6820HK have cores that are 5c or higher than the others?

1. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 5c.

17 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 10c

24 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 15c

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 20c

24 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. My 6820HK core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

20 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. Yes, I have a 6820HK where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 5c.

17 vote(s)
    10.2%
  8. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 10c.

16 vote(s)
    9.6%
  9. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 15c.

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 20c.

11 vote(s)
    6.6%
  11. My 6700HQ core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

15 vote(s)
    9.0%
  12. Yes, I have a 6700HQ where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Keep trying :)

I just tried again and got an error on the first one, saw the 2nd one, and tried again on the 1st one and it came up too.

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ran AIDA64 with the CPU and GPU going simultaneously, and the spread was 4-5 degrees. In just the CPU test, the difference was 1-3.

3. hmscott

Reputations:
    The CPU core differential was 4c-5c? That's not bad, not great, but not bad :)

When doing both CPU and GPU tests, I would imagine the load on the CPU would be greater - it's feeding GPU tests as well as crunching the CPU tests at the same time.

With previous testing I have found that the heavier the load, the more pronounced the core temperature differentials become. At idle, or low load, the differential isn't always as pronounced.

All CPU's have some differential, it's to be expected, it's when it gets up above 5c that it becomes a problem - limiting top end load - the hot cores getting thermal throttling first, holding back the cool cores.

Your results look good :)

4. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I should correct myself slightly because the AIDA64 test included stressing the RAM on top of the CPU and GPU, so it really was an absolute worst-case scenario that 99.999% of users will never, ever see in daily computing. Maximum temp on any single core was 80 degrees, so even if there were more of a differential, it wouldn't even be close to throttling anyway.

Edit: And this is also on a Clevo system, which tends to feed too much voltage to the CPU anyway, so if I undervolt, there will almost certainly be even less of a difference.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Actually the differential stays the same under load, you will drop the overall temperature of all 4 cores with an undervolt, but the differential won't be changed.

6. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Fair enough. Doesn't change the fact that there's not much of a difference and if there were, the system is nowhere near its thermal limit even under extreme load.

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    I think you are missing the point of this thread :)

It's the Core temperature differential, with the hottest cores leading the way toward thermal throttling.

If you have Cores that are 10c hotter than the others, you have lost a large amount of headroom for performance.

That's what we are talking about, not how cool a CPU runs in use, or how undervolting let's a CPU run cooler. All those things can be true, but if you have a couple of "hot" cores pushing temps 10c+ higher, you're going to be halted earlier on the path to full performance than if all your cores were at the same temperature.

Your CPU shows 5c hotter cores, which means those Cores are going to thermally throttle before the cooler cores.

If you can keep everything running cool enough to not thermally throttle at some specific setting, that doesn't mean you won't thermally throttle at higher multipliers - the point of the 6820HK is that it is unlocked and you can tune it for more performance than the default settings.

It's nice your current settings aren't thermally throttling, but now you can try tuning for higher performance, using your unlocked 6820HK potential fully. :)

Papusan likes this.
  8. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I perfectly understand the point. I just don't care because my system is performing exactly as advertised.

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    That must be some pretty specific advertising copy ;)

Just keep in mind that you can tune the 6820HK, and those hot cores will limit the top end potential, which is why we are watching for the hot core samples, so people can catch them and send them back.

It's not something to gloss over so quickly, as it will come back to take a bite out of performance later.

And, again, you are at the acceptable limit with +5c, so no worries :)

DukeCLR likes this.
  10. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    The days of my obsessing about overclocking have long since passed.

I'm not saying what's happening here isn't a concern. It's just not a concern for me.

tilleroftheearth and hmscott like this.