Warning: Some i7-6820HKs and i7-6700HQ have Uneven Core Temps due to Uneven Heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by iunlock, Oct 25, 2016.

?

Does your 6820HK have cores that are 5c or higher than the others?

1. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 5c.

17 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 10c

24 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 15c

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 20c

24 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. My 6820HK core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

20 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. Yes, I have a 6820HK where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 5c.

17 vote(s)
    10.2%
  8. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 10c.

16 vote(s)
    9.6%
  9. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 15c.

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 20c.

11 vote(s)
    6.6%
  11. My 6700HQ core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

15 vote(s)
    9.0%
  12. Yes, I have a 6700HQ where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This, I believe, is the same issue with the slim and light Clevos such as the P955ER.

Tripod heatsink design, poor CPU heatsink contact, etc. I see a lot of "pushed out" thermal paste on re-assembly.

Getting an older heatsink (the one on the eurocom q5) for re-testing as these are separate for both CPU+GPU.
    Will report back with findings.

jclausius likes this.
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes your laptop clearly the uneven heatsink issue. A large temperature difference between individual cores.

3. J888www

J888www Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Separate CPU + GPU heatsinks was what I had always argued/requested as the separated heatsink plates will not promote tension to each other so in theory the plates should couple/seat more correctly.
    I had a spare second hand heatsink and was going to crimp it then disect it into two but unfortunately the fins (GPU fan side) crumpled in my hands due to the hefty weight (best to handle both sides at the same time).

Regarding the "pushed out" thermal paste, it may be best to ignore all the touting of best paste/liquid metal. These best pastes have light consistency/too thin so it's easily "pushed out". After trying all these @best pastes whenever new products come on to the market, I've gone back to using Arctic Silver 5 due to its high density and viscosity. Not sure if it's a newer formular as the Arctic Cooling site states it's Not Electrically Conductive but was careful of the amount just in case.
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

After two Weeks the temperature seems quite even and it stays below 80 degrees, the reason I'm no longer raging at Dell.

FrozenSolid and hmscott like this.
  4. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If anyone has re-padded an Alienware 17" R5 can they let me know the pad thicknesses?

5. billduran

billduran Newbie

Reputations:
    useful thread, Thanks
    I had the same issue as well, found out it was broken cpu standoff :faceplam: i guess over the period moving it around some how flexed the board and broke off the standoff. I have Asus GL502vm 6700HQ+1060 6G. horrible thermals imo. had to set cpu max frequency to 2.6Ghz and vcore voltage offset -160mv + mx4 to get it to play games. u can picture below for before and after i re-soldered the standoff.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  6. Nickrayy

Nickrayy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm really appreciated your hard effort for finding the root of the issue, I'm facing the same issue with dell precision 7710 , but the images in this thread are not available , if you have another source for the pictures so i can see the uneven heatsink before and after and stress test results also.

thanks alot

Dennismungai likes this.
  7. Oblivion183

Oblivion183 Newbie

Reputations:
    @iunlock hi I'm new to this site and I just purchased a alienware 17 r5 i9 1080 oc for a good deal and I was wondering if you could help me plse I'm having issues with the heat's on my cpu I've tried repasting with grizzle kryonaut but my heats still seem high

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.