Warning: Some i7-6820HKs and i7-6700HQ have Uneven Core Temps due to Uneven Heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by iunlock, Oct 25, 2016.

?

Does your 6820HK have cores that are 5c or higher than the others?

1. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 5c.

13 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 10c

21 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 15c

9 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 20c

23 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. My 6820HK core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

18 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Yes, I have a 6820HK where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 5c.

13 vote(s)
    8.8%
  8. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 10c.

15 vote(s)
    10.2%
  9. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 15c.

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  10. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 20c.

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  11. My 6700HQ core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

12 vote(s)
    8.2%
  12. Yes, I have a 6700HQ where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Btw new laptop cpu die was a bit scratched already. Seems to be cosmetic but was surprised.
    Wondering if I scratched it while removing the original paste. I guess since it is already a bit scratched IC Diamond will not bother me as much lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  2. plee82

Reputations:
    Had the privilege of removing old k5pro from chokes while replacing paste with Kryonaut. Gotta soak it with alcohol and it peels in one go using the gc extreme spreader. If you do not soak it, dried particles will fall everywhere lol.

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, awesome stuff. It forms a hard barrier to air, keeping it from drying out like normal pastes.

Still not happy with the re-pastes / fitment of the heatplate? Or was this another device with old K5pro?

4. plee82

Reputations:
    My gc extreme started to lose performance. Not sure if it was the way I repasted but when I removed the heatsink, I did not notice anything weird. I put Kryonaut today and noticed it is very viscous compared to GC Extreme. GC is almost too creamy and watery. Anyways, out the Kryo and I cannot believe the temps.

hmscott likes this.
  5. plee82

Reputations:
    Maybe it was the Forza Horizon 3 game hammering the cpu and gpu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hello, I'm back with my Acer g9 593 and 6700hq with uneven temps. Quick reminder:

- I asked Acer to fix this and they've replaced the motherboard with the cooling system. no luck
    - I re-pasted my CPU with arctic silver 5. nothing special happened
    - I lowered CPU voltage and it fixed my issue, it never goes beyond 85C in real applications

But voltage lowering works only in windows, with working intel app and blah blah blah. I'm looking for a better solution. Any bits of advice? Better thermalpaste (but no liquid metal) maybe I can lay smth between cpu and cooling module?

My repaste procedure:

7. openglcg

openglcg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In my experience arctic silver 5 doesn't provide a huge boost over stock pastes. When i got kryonaut i saw some nice drops in temp. Also paying attention to the thermal pads can help. Sometimes they get torn or even are missing after a tech replaces the heatsink. And getting some high performance pads to replace them can also help temps. More heat transfered to heatsink instead of the inside of of the computer.

Undervolting with throttlestop is my pref. You have to run it every time but thats good when testing unstable undervolts. Also i found my 6700hq model more locked down in terms of what intel extreme tuning utility would allow (when compared to my 4720hq). Throttlestop let me do things like adjust the clock with the speed shift settings so i dont have to go to windows settings or reboot with xtu to adjust the non turbo speed. I dont even think i can undervolt core and cache independently anymore with xtu. With throttlestop its no problem.