Warning: Some i7-6820HKs and i7-6700HQ have Uneven Core Temps due to Uneven Heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by iunlock, Oct 25, 2016.

?

Does your 6820HK have cores that are 5c or higher than the others?

1. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 5c.

14 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 10c

21 vote(s)
    14.2%
  3. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 15c

9 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 20c

23 vote(s)
    15.5%
  5. My 6820HK core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

18 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Yes, I have a 6820HK where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 5c.

13 vote(s)
    8.8%
  8. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 10c.

15 vote(s)
    10.1%
  9. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 15c.

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  10. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 20c.

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  11. My 6700HQ core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

12 vote(s)
    8.1%
  12. Yes, I have a 6700HQ where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Cool I was just curious because of those super high quality fujiopoly pads. I do know my gpu pads are there 100% because I saw them every time I was pulling things apart lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I blind, Nahh:D
    I wonder how many machines out there is in hands on clueless people who never know how the temp should be. All those who never visit forum like this and similar forum.

Yeah, you can imagine how many 10 thousand or more machines out there who run fully throttling, aka run up to thermal shutdown temp as AW's ceo Mr. Azor saying is quite normal. And I can't imagine how many out there with all other sorts of problems and thinking everything works exactly as intended. I blind? :no: Nahh
    Overheating of VRM will most likely trigger throttling mechanism.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I didn't include Alienware or Clevo in my statements, I said Asus, MSI, Acer, HP, all of which I've had many times over with absolutely no need for re-pasting, and they run for years problem free.

Maybe not completely blind, maybe it's Alienware / Clevo / manufacturing failure tunnel vision ;)

There are plenty of vendor successful designs, with successful Production and QA results out there, far more than failures. They just aren't done by Alienware or Clevo.

4. plee82

Reputations:
    Haha you guys are the best. Btw, applying that k5 pro was so easy. That thing does not liquidfy, I checked and it was there like a gum on my chokes lol.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yeah, K5 Pro is awesome stuff to replace thermal pads, to fill in the gaps. :)

6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know:D Instead of create proper Cooling, they create other ways to successful stop all too high temp. F.eks with firmware:p Yeah, plenty of them make successful designs:vbthumbsup: Hp is one of them:hi:
    upload_2017-7-21_4-39-13.png

hmscott likes this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    @hmscott Damn, Almost same clarity as my own statement. But hey, they missed a bit. More of yoo should share my thoughts:D
    upload_2017-7-21_5-10-31.png

hmscott likes this.
  8. plee82

Reputations:
    OMG... I have just realized I can disconnect the cpu and gpu heat pipes when repasting..... this means I can screw the cpu heat sink without having the gpu heat pipe connected giving me full even pressure on the cpu heatsink. When the gpu heat pipes are connected with the cpu heatpipes, the cpu heat sink sort of floats before screwing them in because the gpu gets screwed first.... ugh

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's good, and maybe not so good :)

Disconnecting takes away the lift pressure of the heatpipes and other connected pieces, making it easier to press with even pressure the CPU heatplate on the CPU, and evenly screw it down.

The only problem I've run into when I helped someone that did this once, a number of years ago, was due to overtightening the heatpipes onto the CPU heatplate, while the other end of the heatpipes was fastened down too.

They put too much pressure on a heatpipe, and after a few days of use, they heard a *pop*, and the heatpipe with the most pressure on it "popped" it's weld...

So be aware that the tension works both directions when tightening these things down :)

Papusan likes this.
  10. plee82

Reputations:
    Yup I get it. I will go one last time with IC Diamond. Temps are going up, going to use the most viscous stuff.

hmscott likes this.