Warning: Some i7-6820HKs and i7-6700HQ have Uneven Core Temps due to Uneven Heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by iunlock, Oct 25, 2016.

?

Does your 6820HK have cores that are 5c or higher than the others?

1. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 5c.

13 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 10c

21 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 15c

9 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Yes, I have a 6820HK that has 1 or more cores with a high temperature differential, greater than 20c

23 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. My 6820HK core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

18 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Yes, I have a 6820HK where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 5c.

13 vote(s)
    8.8%
  8. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 10c.

15 vote(s)
    10.2%
  9. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 15c.

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  10. Yes, I have a 6700HQ that has 1 or more cores with a high temp differential, greater than 20c.

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  11. My 6700HQ core temperatures are all tracking the same, with less than 5c difference.

12 vote(s)
    8.2%
  12. Yes, I have a 6700HQ where Core #3 (4th Core) is 10C cooler than the rest.

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ugh kinda scared of doing this on a laptop although I do this easily in a desktop lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    What laptop? it's easier and faster to repaste a MSI laptop than it is my *desktop* with a Corsair 760T case.....
    The only precaution you need is to unplug the battery cable AND the ac adapter. Otherwise its no harder than repasting a video card.

4. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Or use Basiron Gel as I tested:D Work wonders bruh:p
    upload_2017-7-8_3-59-2.png
    [​IMG]

But better with Liquid metal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2C degrees difference:( Damn, I need to re-done the job:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That image is a perfect example of the "fissures" that open up when paste dries out. When there is an air contact and the paste "wicks" out. Nice photo :)

Papusan likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste - 1.0 Gram - $11.99
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011F7W3LU/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

It's a waste to buy more if it's just gonna sit there and dry up unused :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  7. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Yeah, I wouldn't let Liquid metal flow down from the IHS like this:D But very thin watery cream as I tested with is great when you need to check the pressure/fit after lapping:) Pressure tape is damn expencive and not always easy to obtain all places. Use what you have and its a damn good solution.

Vasudev, tilleroftheearth and hmscott like this.
  8. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is Grizzly K. that much better than Gelid extreme? I am thinking about using gelid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  10. Oneshot2285

Oneshot2285 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HI everyone,

First time here and first post. I would like to give my two cents as I now own an Alienware R4 17. As I never had the opportunity to have a gaming laptop till now, i went ahead and got an ASUS ROG GL702VS from Bestbuy, as it was on sale for 1399, from 1699, so I thought a got a great deal. But as I was playing for two weeks or so, I realized this laptop had serious temp issues and poor airflow design. My temps would regulary hit 93-95c and the top of the laptop was burn to touch. As doing more research as I should have done, the issues was poor airflow design from ASUS on the bottom of the laptop as there hardly any airflow vents to be let in. Many users complained about this issues and went ahead and actually would make modifications to their bottom housing such as drilling holes and drilling slits, and I found that ridiculous as this should have been addressed by the vendor through QA control...so I went ahead and returned it cause I was still under my return policy.

So I went ahead and found the Alienware model that was displayed in store, with the i7 7700hq...but when I purchase mine, it was as clearance with the 6700hq I7 version. I was very worried as I know I have had bad history with Dell and there products with being either cheap or lacking design; that I might have to repast it myself before doing some cpu temp results and game-play live results. As I looked into mine, mine was one of the original batches I believed that came out in August 2016, hence the clearance price now.

I have to say after a couple of days of playing for about an hour each load and idle working like surfing the web and video streaming; I got a steal and one of the lucky ones. I heard somewhere that Alienware might do better quality control check with retail vendors as they do not want customers to return the device back if in case there are some issues, hence loosing money with each return. Anyhow this was just a theory...but let me continue.

My alienware r4 17 is gtx 1070 model with 16gigs and a i7 6700hq and got it for 1200; brand new...im not sure if this was collecting dust or just hidden in the back.

Well after gaming BF1 and playing on Ultra setting my temps never spiked over 81C stock paste. Idle temps range from 41-45-50c and gaming with BF1 and Doom, no higher than 82C with fans kicking in as they should. I was planning to do a full repasting but decided not to as these for me as a tolerable temps. So there is a lottery when purchasing these laptops and doing your research deligently is best. I do have two year warranty with this through Bestbuy but I figured I will do repasting myself if it does come to this.

As I tell anyone, I like alienware and dont be afraid to purchase as you know what your getting into and understand that there might be chances of issues but that why I usually try to purchase through a retail store, knowing I can return it full price.

Aman Krishna likes this.