[WARNING] Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake processors: Broken HT on Laptops & PC [Fix is here]

Discussion in 'Notebook Dummy Guide Articles' started by THEBOSS619, Jun 29, 2017.

1. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This applies on all ROG Laptops & Non ROG Laptops too.. including PC too with broken Hyper-threading due to a bug on Microcode CPU.
    Updated Guide on [7/16/2017]

Hello everyone... My name is THEBOSS619 aka T.B.619 or Ehab H. from Egypt.... anyway if you are not advanced or intermediate PC user... please save your self from trouble and forget it.

I would like to help for those who are using any kind of Microsoft Windows OS [example:- Win7,8,8.1,10] as this kind of microcode bug is not affecting linux only but to other OS as well so.... I would like to give a solution to SkyLake & Kaby Lake cpu's.

First of all...

[Here-]
    Go to this link ---> Click Here to get an idea or learn how to upgrade your CPU Microcode to the lastest version. It is detailed enough there. :)

[or-]
    You can go an easy way by looking here ;) http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...er-threading-bug.806317/page-11#post-10564912 thanks to @Vasudev method

Extract the zip file and then you will find this file named [Install.bat] just simply click on it and you can stop here. You are done (^.^) Enjoy! :).

Whenever you wanted to remove this update.. just simply click [Uninstall.bat] file ;)

* I got my CPU Skylake 6700HQ on ASUS ROG GL552VX Laptop with this code 0x506E3 and Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3 and I successfully updated my CPU Microcode to the lastest version and it works like a charm! also this update fixes many cpu bugs including CPU flaws (especially ones dealing with sleep and hibernation) and as it fixes other processor issues as well.

Anyway... thumps up this post or make it stick on the top of the list so that everyone benefit from it :)

This post is made purely by me by my own effort [with the help from notebookreview.com link that I provided above].
    The idea for this solution came to my mind after reading this ... Click Here
    Credits to @Vasudev for an easy one click step :) .

I also posted this solution earilier on reddit Here
    I hope I posted on the right section... if not ..then I'm sorry :)

Example on my laptop ASUS ROG GL522VX Skylake 6700HQ...http://imgur.com/a/myYxr

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    hmscott, Vasudev and pressing like this.
  2. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Idk what was wrong with HT on older microcodes, but I see no difference between new one and old one (have sBIOS updates with both of them). Might be it's only applicable for super old BIOS versions.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  3. THEBOSS619

Reputations:
    Then I think you must read carefully here.... this fix is only for a specific skylake cpu it is not for all skylake CPU :) only those who got the code as I mentioned above will be fixed from HT bug.

Read here if you are not believing it :) https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/06/msg00308.html.

4. THEBOSS619

Reputations:
    Also...I'm offering help for those who use only windows because officially windows doesn't have an option to update your Microcode CPU except through BIOS updates so..... what I am offering here is this is the only way to update it without needing a BIOS update nor waiting from OEM or vendor to provide a BIOS update (which we all know.. they are always late like 1 year delay or never provide any BIOS Update).

5. THEBOSS619

Reputations:
    Changelog [7/7/2017]:-
    - updated broken link + added mirror ;)
    - added @Vasudev method :)
    - updated some info.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    hmscott, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  7. THEBOSS619

Reputations:
    Thank you @Vasudev I updated my guide including your updated link ;) .
    I have tested it and works wonderfully

Changelog:-
    - Included solution for KabyLake users
    - Updated links
    - Updated information + Credits :)
    - Made guide more simpler and easier for users ;) .

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    @THEBOSS619: This microcode simply fixed my sluggish performance on my older Lenovo PC having Pentium and my sis's PC having Broadwell.
    This update can be applied by everyone regardless of PC's age. Haswell, Ivybridge and Xeons.

hmscott and THEBOSS619 like this.
  9. THEBOSS619

Reputations:
    Thanks for testing & for your valuable info. :) I only got 1 laptop which is 6th gen 6700HQ so I couldn't confirm would it work with others generation of CPU's :)

Updating my guide ASAP :D

hmscott likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    You could say, fixes for Haswell heat issues and CPU locking at high frequencies. I can say apply it on virtually any CPU made by intel. Also, you can update it on ASUS ROG forums too.
    A little off-topic: Is there any method to dump BIOS from Aptio IV/V from ASUS, Mine simply returns an error stating it is only read only.
    EDIT: See this link for more info. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/intel-microcode/+changelog

hmscott likes this.