[warning]counterfeit goods on eBay from newmp3technology.com

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by HPpavilion, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beige

beige Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i am the one who was asking :D , but here is a new question , do u have to return the faulty item to get a refund?? , some times shipping is more expensive than the item's price ( especially international ) , or u can just provide details/proof of ur situation ( like your issue with the activated laptop )

2. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Activated game ! ;)

Ebay, always wants you to try and work things out with the seller. If the seller and you agree that the part must be returned then yes you need to return it to the seller.

OTOH if you file a claim with Ebay and claim fraud or counterfeit goods then it would be Ebay's call at that point. Again ebay will always ask you to try and work things out with the seller.

And it's very important to do as they say. If the item you purchased has the Ebay Buyer's Protection logo then you should have no problems. But you need to act within the alloted time to file a claim if you feel the seller is not cooperating.

I would inform Ebay you received what you and HP have determined to be counterfeit goods and it will cost more to ship it. Inform them you will provide them with pictures if they so require. I'm sure either Ebay might say no need to send it back or the seller must pay for his return items.

3. beige

beige Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    thanks for giving me detailed information , i though ebay buyer protections is just a big scam :D , now i know it actually works XD

4. HPpavilion

HPpavilion Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, I physically sent it in for authentication and it is confirmed counterfeit. This computer's getting old and I'm not going to spend 2/3 of what its worth on a new adapter, but I'm not risking having my house burned down using some sketchy adapter so I'm just going to live with one adapter. (I had two OEM, but lost one of them)

Lack of care for quality, and cutting corners to bare necessity for product to function. Battery packs usually contain safety circuits that detect abnormality and disable the pack and a secondary safety to vent the battery so they don't explode. They are transparent in normal operation, just like car airbags or safety relief valve on propane tanks. You could replace the airbag with a dummy load and it doesn't affect the use of vehicle at all, until you encounter a situation where it becomes a necessary.

Probably something like APC, Belkin, Duracell and well known established brands that can't just wash their hands of product liability issues.

The brand holder have control over OEM quality. With well known brand name(that aren't counterfeit) aftermarket incorporated in the states, perfect compatibility isn't guaranteed, but safety considerations are likely covered.

If you get a *counterfeit*, it probably doesn't have a proper UL listing, so will likely experience declined insurance payment if it burns down your house.

Counterfeit fashion goods are usually a matter of intellectual property infringement fights(unless it is made using toxic chemicals not permitted here) but hack job batteries and power adapters are truly dangerous.

Battery is an energy storage tank. Adapter is connected to utility line and often left unattended. For practical purpose, the utility line is an infinite source of energy.

5. HPpavilion

HPpavilion Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    got it moved to hardware section :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.