[warning]counterfeit goods on eBay from newmp3technology.com

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by HPpavilion, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prime

prime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It seems to me that you should contact HP.

2. HPpavilion

HPpavilion Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    moved contents to first post.

3. Johnstone

Johnstone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep, I keep a brick in my laptop pack that is ready for travel, for which I paid about one quarter of the price of an original equipment HP brick --- if I remember correctly. As was the case in your instance, the seller never represented it to be original equipment. The brick doesn't say HP on it. It has been working fine for four years now.

4. HPpavilion

Reputations:
    Do you know why I bought this?

Because the $12 generic I bought on eBay has a cord that's too short and inconvenient, so I decided to drop $20 and get a "OEM"... only to realize the wire is equally short.

I think the generic one I have and the counterfeit are the same thing, with the only difference being the label. The generic one, I'm not going to take apart, because I need it.

I searched newmp3technology.com and counterfeit on Google and sure enough, other people complaining about cord shorter than original not just with HP brand.

Amazon.com: OEM Laptop Ac Adapter Charger for Dell Inspiron 6000 6400 9200 9300 9400 E1405…

This one is about Dell. Not an isolated incident, I'd say

5. Pantha

Pantha Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a genuine HP charger that has the bubbling on the foil. Their chargers suck, mine gets very hot in summer.

6. jet757f

jet757f Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bought some Sony earphones off Ebay last year and found out that they were counterfeit. There are articles written on how to tell the difference between the real ones and the fakes. Certain items on Ebay have a problem with this. When I approached the seller about it he claimed that he did not know and had bought them in bulk from someone else.

7. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    From past experience unless it says trusted seller and genuine on the item you are planning to buy, assume the worst. I purchased two PSP 8GB memory cards on ebay and yup both turned out to be fake but both worked as described and two years later they still work, so go figure, LOL. :p

8. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yep, me too. I have bought several at ridiculously low prices, about $2 shipped.

9. JCMS

JCMS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I just bought a PSP adaptor because my mom lost mine doing the house cleaning. 0.99$. I'll check on it once I get it.

10. HPpavilion

Reputations:
    This seller's been around since 1999 on eBay. At the time of my purchase, they had trusted seller status and it was listed as Genuine HP adapter.

A lot of good feedbacks, been around in business for a long time, trusted status and I still got conned.

People buy it, receive it promptly, use it and it works and 5 star feedback gets left and its usually too late if/when they discover it.

I just emailed HP. I'll see if they even respond.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.