[warning]counterfeit goods on eBay from newmp3technology.com

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by HPpavilion, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HPpavilion

HPpavilion Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had the misfortune of purchasing a counterfeit AC adapter from the merchant newmp3technology.com, which also operates under the name newmp3technology.

The sample was submitted to HP for authentication and it was confirmed counterfeit.

The seller's feedback profile on eBay magically turned to "private". recently.

AC adapters and batteries are a special concern as faulty products can cause fire and injuries.

Savvy eBay shoppers are becoming aware of existence of counterfeit goods on eBay and many are avoiding fashion brands that are well known to be counterfeited. As far as electronics accessory in general, my practice was to avoid purchasing from newly registered sellers,review their feedback comments and buy from sellers who ship from the U.S. I believe these are intuitions and common sense that develop from experience.

I took these measures and I hate to admit that I just got burned. The merchant in question has been a member on eBay for almost 11 years and a "top rated seller" with excellent feedback history. I believe this can be attributed to likelihood that most consumer buyers do not realize what they're getting is counterfeit.

The adapter looks adequately authentic at first glance and it is functional. eBay feedback exchange takes place soon after the purchase is complete, therefore it does not reflect subsequent discovery problems, if discovered at all.

When you look at this seller's items, you'll see that it uses the claim "Genuine" as a marketing leverage.

The counterfeit is not hard to identify, however to prove beyond reasonable doubt is hard and perhaps the only way is to have it analyzed by HP R&D.

1.)
    I immediately became suspicious, because the cord was only 4 ft and the original cord that came with the computer has a 6 ft cord. The suspected fake comes with a choke(small cylindrical thing around the cord near the laptop plug-in end)

2.)
    Next is the weighing method which was mentioned on some YouTube videos. I weighed both OEM while holding the cord with my hand with a bit of slack to subtract the weight of cord while minimizing the effect of pulling on the cord on weighing. This had to be done, because 4' cord and 6' cord won't weigh the same. OEM is ~180g. The suspect is ~160g

3.)
    Grammar and spelling. SA *EE* TY Mark. No, it is not misspelled on the OEM version, however, as you know, spelling errors can happen to textbooks and real stuff too, so even this isn't absolutely positive.

4.)
    Electrical testing. When loaded with a resistor bank to approximately 60W with resistors, it was found that the OEM drew 70W, the knock off drew 73W. The knock off is labeled "efficiency IV" which indicates >85% efficiency, but remember that my OEM cord is from ~2004-05 when efficiency regulations were slightly less stringent.

[​IMG]
    ^ link to photo for non-members who can't see attachments.

Four months later.... label starts blistering. I decided to tear it down. Quality indicates its definitely not OEM.

After a few month of use, the label started to blister like crazy. I peeled it off, then put it back on, but it blistered again.
    [​IMG]

Typically a power supply will have an inductor right where the jumpers are to minimize conducted EMF emissions in order to satisfy FCC requirements as well as reduce interference.
    [​IMG]

Does this look like HP OEM product quality soldering job? One of the SMD was actually not seated all the way with way too much solder as well as being crooked. Not what you'd expect from quality automated manufacturing. The artifacts from manual trimming with diagonal cutters are obvious on larger components.

[​IMG]
    This looks like a practice circuit board from an electronics 101 class.
    [​IMG]

Discoloration was obvious along the capacitors on the output stage.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. crazycanuk

crazycanuk Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yep, looks like an almost decent fake, I would be quite suspicious of it.

Have you tried to short it out to trip the safety in it to see if that even works?

3. NiteWalker

NiteWalker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm interested in seeing how this plays out. Did you contact the seller or file a paypal claim?

4. HPpavilion

Reputations:
    I don't know what I will do yet. I posted this to keep others posted on shady things that take place on eBay even with sellers with stellar feedbacks.

When you check the seller's website, I'm not surprised I got a counterfeit. It offers all kinds of items you'd expect from sellers in China and his website looks like one with the title being a keyword spam.

I've got a counterfeit camera battery before and the seller acted apologetic and promptly refunded, but my feeling was that he was the kind of a seller who'd promptly refund if and when caught, but thrive on those who don't catch it.

5. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    I'm sure you meant well, but I think you did it the wrong way. It is best to check whether it is really intentional. Your feeling isn't the best way to tell whether you're right or wrong. What if the seller is legit, and that his supplier is the one who ship the wrong item a.k.a. the newegg core i7 fiasco a few days ago?

What if you have a legit business and because of a small mistake, someone ruin your business, you wouldn't like it either now, would you?

6. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Couldn't all this be explained by a redesigned power supply that differs from the original? The OP didn't state how much time has gone by between purchasing the computer new, and when he bought the adapter from ebay.

The cord length, power draw, and spelling error could certainly be due to a newly designed (or even second sourced) power adapter. Manufacturers (like HP and Dell) have multiple sources for parts like adapters, and certainly have new and old revisions. Could this adapter (rev A07) be a newer model?

I would be hesitant to accuse the seller of selling counterfeit goods based just on this info.

I guess the big question is this--does it work? Did the OP buy from an ebay seller instead of HP direct in order to save significant money? Probably. I figure, if it works, just go with it. I'm sure it came with a warranty from the seller, and if the seller has an 11 year history, I'm sure they'll be around to honor any warranty issues.

7. NiteWalker

NiteWalker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I was thinking this too. I bought a blackberry charger a while back off ebay and it looked identical to the oem that came with the phone except it didn't have the blackberry options key logo on the part that plugs into the blackberry. Fast forward a few months and I get my bold 9700 and the plug is identical to the one I got on ebay; no options key logo. The ebay charger works great.

8. HPpavilion

Reputations:
    I still have the said adapter in question. The SAEETY label started to blister and is peeling off from heat and I can smell the odor of capacitor electrolyte.

This didn't happen with the original one that came with the computer(that I lost) or the second adapter that I acquired with a salvage Pavilion I picked up.

I split it open and upon opening, I found that its missing EMI suppression coil(It works fine w/o it, but may not pass FCC), soldering is messy, crooked SMD parts.

I'm fairly sure the adapter I got from newmp3technology.com is a counterfeit. I can't see HP Genuine adapter having construction of this poor of quality. It looks like it was put together by a student in community college technology class.

9. crazycanuk

crazycanuk Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    thanks for the update. I have been seeing alot of bad knockoff bricks lately

10. Syberia

Syberia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've been using two cheap power bricks from eBay for months now. Never had a problem with either one of them, and paid significantly less for both. I had no delusions that they'd be "genuine" when I bought them; I just wanted something cheap that would work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.