]]>

Want to buy my first gaming desktop...need advice.

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Ravern87, Nov 5, 2017.

1. FaTT

FaTT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree with most of these members it all depends on what you are going for but ATM I WOULD NOT recommend going SLI too few new games actually support it I have a customer with dual 970 in SLI and just had to get rid of them and go with a gtx 1070 because of such little support from current AAA games for SLI along with 1x 1070 smashes 2 970 in VR If I were you I would get one TI atm just leave room for the second in the future and one ti will play 1080p max settings no problem. And if you are looking for the fastest boot/load times make sure you put a 128gb m.2 NVMe Samsung 960 pro or evo as your OS drive, and if you can put a m.2 NVMe 500 gb 960 evo for your games

On a side note, 2 rx 480 in crossfire has way more support and is just about as fast as a 1080 in stock clocks So in theory you can get 2 580's and beat it and be inbetween 1080 and 1080 ti in performance for like 3/4 of what your going to pay for that TI (depending on what you pick and if you get it on sale ect.) I just saw a 1080ti on new egg for sale for 699
    http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemai...50091&et_p1=&email64=Z25wZmF0dEBnbWFpbC5jb20=

if you watch these two benchmark videos youll see what I mean
    rx580 CF vs 1080

RX580 CF VS 1080 TI

the RX580 CF beats the 1080 in just about everything but dosnt quite beat the ti but its all up too you is that 200+ extra worth the 7-15 fps the ti is giving you? personally I don't think so and at only 1080p i doubt you need that much power id rather take that and get another or a bigger 960 evo or more ram ect

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  2. FaTT

FaTT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would go cyber only reason is because not that I am a expert on their builds but from the few I have seen from both companies cyber uses higher quality parts but then again that could just be because the ones I saw were higher tier systems vs ibuypower, and to be honest your better off building it yourself or buying the parts and having a local shop put it togather for youi if you do you will save quite a bit of $$$

3. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like cyberpowers options better and and price is about the same between both companies. I actually think i might just wait until i go to micro center in march. I travel to ohio about every couple months and theres a micro center like 10 min from my hotel. I like the idea of picking out every part on my own anf theyll build it for like $150. I would build it on my but ive never done it before and i dont want to **** this build up cuz im spending about 3k on it. I want this to be my gaming beast and then later on ill practice my first build on something with cheaper internals. Maybe build something cool for my wife. Im trying to get her into gaming haha.

4. FaTT

FaTT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For sure I completely understand but if I were you I would have a local shop vs somewhere far jic you need tech support would suck to have to pay and wait for shipping when if you had a local shop build it for you you can drive there plus your going to get your parts a lot cheaper online vs microcenter

5. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What model monitor do you have? I have an Asus VG248Q or whatever, and I found the colors to be quite a bit lackluster when I got it. I was able to find an ICC profile for this monitor to apply to it with instructions for what monitor color settings to have along with it. Once I did this it got better, but definitely still looked faded and I was not completely happy with it. At the moment I end up running the ICC profile for my monitor and I turn on "Digital Vibrance" in Nvidia control panel to about 85%. This is a pretty good set up that I use throughout all of my games and desktop settings. I love this monitor, the performance of it is great but the color quality, especially out of the box really is not/was not the best. Everything looks very faded/washed out but using ICC profiles and digital vibrance I am able to get it looking pretty good. If you have the same monitor as me there are definitely ways to fix it, and I am sure your monitor does as well if it's a different model. I would google "Asus XXXXX color profile" and you will probably find threads with people talking about it and providing their own windows color profiles. Start with that and then look into digital vibrance.

As far as online vs Microcenter being cheaper, I think that is debatable and I would definitely recommend checking out a store first. I got my Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard at Microcenter for over 50 dollars off, only a week or 2 after they released. I did not expect any sales or see anything online and with everything being so new I did not expect any sales so I went to the store just to pick one up and not deal with shipping and it ended up being cheaper. I also got my 5820k there a couple years ago for quite a bit cheaper than they were going for online. That being said, the power supply I am looking into for my new PC (Corsair AX860) was about 50 dollars more expensive when I bought my motherboard than it was online. Microcenter typically has good prices from what I have seen in store to compete with online retailers and usually has a lot of sales going on.

I understand the want for a full system warranty, or the piece of mind of having someone else do everything for you but I highly recommend thinking about building the machine yourself and picking out the parts yourself. It will (should) save you a bit of money, and it will allow you to get specifically everything you want. Get parts from brands you want instead of potentially being limited to founders edition cards, or whatever version of the card they put in their prebuilt machines. You will also be able to really get something you like. Find a case and color scheme you like along with parts that match the color scheme etc etc. It is also very rewarding, and it will teach you a little bit more about computers as you build it if you do not have a ton of experience with them. On top of that, going forward when you have issues it may help you be able to understand your system and trouble shoot problems instead of having to call someone and take your PC somewhere. I was very nervous when I built my first desktop back in high school but now I would never imagine not building a new computer for myself when I needed one. I also realized once I got into it that it really is all just like a giant leggo set with more expensive parts. When I first started too I had to worry about PCI slots vs AGP and if I had a video card issue or needed to replace it or upgrade it for whatever reason and I'd have to deal with finding compatible parts for my setup...things have gotten much easier and streamlined now and it is (should be) a fairly easy process.

6. FaTT

FaTT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well generally from my experience I buy refurb or used, ive never had any problems and have been doing it for years, even when you save 5 here 10 there it adds up when your getting 10+ componets the PC in my sig I traded the alienware laptop in my sig for and the alienware laptop I got for a 500 kaby lake desktop build i made I just tweek and customize the system so they run way better had like 100 into the laptop it and put in another 7 between graphics card and 960 evo ect and I have that 1070 that's up for charity in the marketplace that came with this tower so for 1300 I have like 2600 in parts

well let me explain the back story, so I was watching my buddys dog he broke my laptop my buddy gave me 500 to replace it I took that 500 and build a g4560 gtx 1050 ti build, put it up for barter, had some guy trade me a ps4 psvr and games for the PC, traded that psvr bundle for that alienware in my sig tweeked it, purchased a 1080 and a graphics amp put it up for trade, this guy traded me that tower for the alienware + graphics amp so here it is 6 months later and I traded up to where I wanted to be with a total investment of right around 1300

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
    CPU: Intel - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus - Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($245.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($95.03 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($95.03 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Hitachi - Deskstar 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.48 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB TURBO Video Card ($534.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Thermaltake - Versa N21 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Thermaltake - Smart Pro RGB 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - Archer T6E AC1300 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master - Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($28.33 @ OutletPC)
    Headphones: Logitech - G930 7.1 Channel Headset ($92.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2130.24
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-13 12:19 EST-0500

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  7. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Mine's not a gamer but I'm likely going to build her a media center / file server hooked up to a TV pretty soon.

FaTT likes this.
  8. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you can't give specs wanted how would you expect those whom do Serious Gaming laptop to reply??

9. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Specs have nothing to do with that question. Im asking which site is more reputable and in terms of which has better tech support etc. I dont need to list specs for someone to tell me which company they like better and why. Thanks for your input tho...