Want to buy my first gaming desktop...need advice.

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Ravern87, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Exactly. With a nice big screen you can run 100% scaling and it is beautiful, text is still easy to read. It's a framerate killer for gaming, but a joy to look at in terms of picture quality and clarity.

On a laptop panel... even the biggest available... NOT!

2. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    And here we go again and again and again... There were plenty of threads dedicated to this topic on this forum. The answer was given every time, which gets ignored the next time this topic pops up.

Eyesight as well as reading habit can vary significantly among people. Some people run default scaling on 15"/17" 4K screens just fine. If you prefer lower resolutions, there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't question people who can utilize something you can't/don't and therefore demand it.

Games vary as well. Given the same limited GPU power Battle Field and Cities Skylines players will go with different compromises when it comes to resolution vs refresh rate.

Gursimran82956 and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yup, and because it varies widely and many find it truly miserable, a person with no 4K experience needs to be particularly cautious about spending a butt-load of money on something that there is a really good chance that they will regret. They need to figure out what their tolerance for it is before buying and/or buy from a vendor with a very liberal or no questions asked return policy. It is never a good idea to buy anything expensive simply because it is a popular idea.

Mr.Koala likes this.
  4. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Unfortunately it's very difficult to filter actual human differences from post-purchase rationalization.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    LOL. Probably darned near impossible. 4K is definitely recommended as a "try before you buy" scenario, especially for a laptop. Much easier to return a monitor to a local retailer than dealing with regrets on a laptop purchase.

6. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ive never really seen a reason to game at 4k. At least not now. I still game at 1080p n its more than fine for me...and once i get my gaming pc and i can utilize the 144hz refresh ill be in heaven.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Put this way unless you really stare hard at a 4K laptop screen or Desktop you will not see the subtle difference. I got a 1060 6G running a 27" 2556x1440 and I be hard pressed to see difference as 4K and the hardware require might burn down your house doing it. *pun* But doing everything 4K comes with a heavy cost and you might play one or two games that do 4K and the rest 1080p so what did one really gain? Nida....you could've enjoyed more at 1080 and got more hardware for that price like going 1080Ti and 27-30 IPS that would more then suffice your game adventures. But if you don't compete or do say HardCore then going 4K will give very little in return. One has to factor there is more then just oh hey I got 4K there comes a heavy cost to do it and unless you got $$ to burn you might get burned yourself in return.

8. Ravern87

Reputations:
    Ya im planning on building my desktop in april. Unless something new comes out im nost likely going with a 8700k and vtx 1080ti. Im thinking i dont really need to wait for the new stuff tho. 8700k will be great for gaming for years and the new 8 cores coming out in 2018 probably wont do much in terms of performance for gaming. And that's all this is for is a gaming beast. I dont do multitasking or vid editing so 8 cores would be pointless for me. If the new nvidia gpus are lightyears ahead of the current pascal lineup than i might consider waiting for them but other than that i dont think ill need to.

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Some people prefer slide shows over full-motion video.

10. Ravern87

Reputations:
    Serious question. If you guys could only order from either ibuypower or from cyberpower which one would you pick and why?? Thanks