Want to buy my first gaming desktop...need advice.

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Ravern87, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Gursimran82956

Gursimran82956 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1080 in sli is just marginally(10-25% depending upon the optimisation of sli) better than a single 1080ti at 4k ultra.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    SLI is generally awesome for overclocked benching. For the most part, having a decent game playing experience does not require high end hardware or a lot of horsepower. The exception is 4K, but whole idea of 4K gaming is pretty much hokey gimmick fad crap, too. A lot of people with 4K displays run 200% scaling, which gives you the same usable screen space as 1080p so there is no point in it unless you need it for professional work related to things like imaging. It is a total waste of money for gaming and actually degrades the experience.

DreDre likes this.
  3. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @mr fox, by an chance can you post your color/brightness settings for your asus 144hz monitor?? Mines still at the factory settings and i want to try and make it look better.

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Hi bro. Happy Sunday.

I am just using the monitor defaults for sRGB mode over DisplayPort. I haven't changed or tweaked anything else as far as color or brightness, and I think it looks great. I also have SmartView disabled and Adaptive-Sync turned off. All of these settings are adjustments native in the monitor controls, set using the OSD UI.

5. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok cool thanks. I cant wait to get my gaming pc so i can really enjoy this monitor and 144hz. April isnt that far away but its gonna feel like an eternity lol.

6. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    This is why you see a lot of workstation machines with 4K while gaming machines focus on refresh/latency. But for some reason you always see complaints that such and such a gaming model still has FHD.

DreDre and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, I don't get it either. Probably a lot of that mindless blabbering is from people that want whatever the fad happens to be with their friends on Facebook or to feel like part of the schoolboy clique that loves 4K.

I really despise 4K. I know there are legitimate business purposes for it, but it's miserable (my opinion) for normal use. Having a pretty picture with screwed up scaling and such does not impress me at all. I think 1920*1080 and 2560*1440 are ideal for gaming and normal use. My preference is the latter, but I will take 1080p over 4K 100% of the time and never complain unless the panel is horrible quality and a real eyesore to look at.

DreDre likes this.
  8. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

A big 4K screen displaying native 4K content, great. A tiny 4K screen displaying upscaled content, what the heck is the point?

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Exactly. With a nice big screen you can run 100% scaling and it is beautiful, text is still easy to read. It's a framerate killer for gaming, but a joy to look at in terms of picture quality and clarity.

On a laptop panel... even the biggest available... NOT!

10. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    And here we go again and again and again... There were plenty of threads dedicated to this topic on this forum. The answer was given every time, which gets ignored the next time this topic pops up.

Eyesight as well as reading habit can vary significantly among people. Some people run default scaling on 15"/17" 4K screens just fine. If you prefer lower resolutions, there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't question people who can utilize something you can't/don't and therefore demand it.

Games vary as well. Given the same limited GPU power Battle Field and Cities Skylines players will go with different compromises when it comes to resolution vs refresh rate.

Gursimran82956 and Mr. Fox like this.