Want to buy my first gaming desktop...need advice.

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Ravern87, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So im thinking of building a new gaming desktop and have been looking at ibuypower. I am sort of new to this so i have a few questions. There are alot of different options when it comes to power supplies. How important is it to get a bigger power supply and is it needed?? I will be getting a 8700k with liquid cooling and will def be doing some overclocking. What level power supply would you recommend? Also just for reference i was either thinking of going with a gtx 1080ti or gtx 1080ti in SLI. which brings me to my next question. For now i will just be doing 1080p gaming but my monitor is 144hz and i want to maximize my fps to really enjoy that high refresh rate. Will a single gtx 1080ti get me there?? Overclocled with an overclocked 8700k as well?? Its pretty expensive to add a 2nd 1080ti so i thought id get peoples opinion on that.

Also for the 1080ti they say a couole different version...one is EVGA and the other is MSI. Whats the difference between the two and which do you think is better if one is better?? Also is 16gb ram enough or should i go to 32gb?? Thid will strictly be a gaming rig with occasional web browsing use.

Sorry for all the questions guys i just wanna make sure i get what i need to build the monster pc ive always wanted. Thanks in advance.

2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    850W should be enough for that system if you are going for SLI. I'd recommend going for 1000W if you want it to run a bit more silently. Most important thing though is to make sure its of high quality, at least gold.

For a single GPU 750W should be plenty.

If you want a true balls to the wall system then go for SLI, certain games will see large benefits but many are poorly optimised for multiple GPUs. Depends on the games you are playing. For practicality though a single GPU will be enough for most games. What i'd suggest is you go for 1 GPU for now and spend the extra money on a high quality PSU. Then if you feel the need to add SLI in the future you'll have a PSU capable of running it.

Trafficante likes this.
  3. Ravern87

Reputations:
    Ya thats what i was reading about sli too, that most games are poorly optimized for it. Im most likely going to go for the single 1080ti. Ill spring for a good power supply too.

Question: since im buying a desktop i can upgrade the components later down the line correct? Like say next year when volta comes out i can upgrade ny gpu to a newer one correct??

4. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's probably true that a GTX1080Ti would probably kills most anything right now and two GTX1070Ti might be nipping at the heals of single 1080Ti but will play second fiddle still. But alot will depend also on the GPU RAM the more the better. Overclocking will work for some and not for others that is the nature of OC. Also make sure you PC Ram is at least 16G DDR4 all matching not mix. This could be two RAM for 16 or 4stick for 16 but I would go for 2sticks 16 then later upgrade with same match to go 32G RAM. So don't go less for RAM either. Also your case if you do go cooling make sure it is midtower that will insure good cooling. Anything smaller and you will have heating issue and wiring and plumbing issue how to reroute cable and hoses not a fun thing to mess with. Reason more GPU RAM is related to 4K and and multiple monitor setup to power those resolutions.

I like the MSI GTX1080Ti or MSI family line they have a good cooling design that only one or both comes out when needed. And my experience with MSI line is they are built heavy and does what it does without fuss. My current line is MSI GTX1060 6G not a 1080Ti-I don't game like I used to do but I do have Witcher I-III and COD WWII so those will push my single GTX1060 6G hopefully not to breaking point. As for monitor if you plan on 4K you will need to get a 4K monitor and two GTX1080Ti in SLI to get to that mode if that is your future plan. But make sure if I was you to get a MSI GTX1080Ti and then later get another MSI GTX1080Ti-I know that sounds silly but I rather have matching hardware incase you use OC software for both cards would insure they both follow the same step process embedded in their chipset. Most would say it doesn't matter but to me if you really want Oomph match the GPU less you have to worry about one not able to keep-up with the other when push comes to shove.

We give our build experience and opinions and what you take from that and do with it will be up to you. It's easier to learn from others mistake then to make them yourself when hardware can be a expensive as you go for the Gold. And last as anything this is from a Gamer now less of a Gamer...but I most gaming on Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS XL now. I plan to get a Gaming laptop in the future so I can go portable with my PC games that is the future plan. But do research what you expect to get out of it to know what you get in the end is what you want as well.

5. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay so....

1. I would definitely recommend a single GPU over SLI myself. I do not use SLI and have not actually owned a computer with an SLI setup but the results are very mixed. Some games have bugs and issues and do not work correctly with 2 cards, some it does not make a difference, some you will notice a significant difference. It's worth noting that there may be games that actually run worse in an SLI setup, or are unusable or unplayable with SLI turned on and needing to be disabled for certain games. A 1080TI is an extremely powerful card and should be able to run most games at 144 or above 100 FPS even at the highest settings, especially if you are using 1080p. If you really need SLI and want a second card you can add it in later, but I would 100% recomend a single card. For SLI you are usually spending 100% of the price, for MAYBE 50% of the performance in most games.

2. For a PSU I would recommend 750W or higher, I prefer getting a bit more powerful of a PSU than I need so if I add things in later that may require more power, I have the ability to support it without having to upgrade my whole power supply and rewire my computer. If you are looking at or thinking about doing SLI in the future, especially with 1080TIs I would recommend looking towards a 1000w PSU. I think it is also good to have "extra" power in the PSU so if you are running at full load on all of your components, your PSU is not pegged and running at 100% as well and still has wiggle room.

3. 16GB is definitely enough for memory, and again you can buy 2 of the same sticks and upgrade that to 32gb down the line if you really want to or feel that you need the extra memory but for gaming and web browsing 16 should be more than enough to start with.

4. As far as GPU brand, to be honest I don't think it matters a whole lot. Some people prefer different brands and like to stick with one and support them, other people buy different brands depending on the design and style and color scheme of the card and how it fits with the rest of their build. For the most part they should all be very similar in clock speeds and perform fairly evenly, with some of them potentially having a bit better cooling. If you are adding water cooling to the GPU, then the stock air cooler is kind of irrelevant for you.

Lastly, why are you buying a desktop? Do you not know how to build one yourself or have any experience with it, or know anyone who can build computers and help and or teach you how to do it? Reason I ask if you are going to be paying a premium and more expensive prices to buy a pre built machine vs building one yourself. You also will have a lot more limited part selection on a pre built machine than a self built one. Another thing I would be concerned about is shipping a fully built machine like that. I know it can be done and these companies make livings off of it, but I would be very weary of the stress that can go into a machine when it is getting shipping around and constantly moved around. Especially if you get it with water cooling and they have everything filled and ready to go for you, I do not know how comfortable I would feel with something like that being shipped to me, especially if it is using some sort of hard tubing and getting bounced around.

If it is at all an option I would highly recomend building your own machine instead of buying a prebuilt one. The hardest part about you building a computer right now would be actually getting your hands on an 8700k CPU, everything else is a walk in the park. If you want liquid cooling you can buy all in one units, or if you feel comfortable and really want to do it right you can try and do your own custom water cooling loop. I wouldn't recommend this for your first build though. I've built many computers for myself and friends and feel extremely comfortable working inside of a computer however on my new build I am going to attempt my own custom loop and while everything else in the machine I am fully 100% sure in myself that I am capable of building it, my own hard tubed custom loop is definitely giving me anxiety about delving into.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  6. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity, any update with what you ended up doing?

7. Ravern87

Reputations:
    So i havent really made a decision yet. Im most likely going to wait until my birthday in April. Ive been going to ibuypower and building the pc i want. Its nice because they give you a 3 year warranty. But i also like the idea of picking the parts out myself at micro center. Im not really sure what to do. But im waiting because i want to see if the rumors are true about the new intel cpus coming out in early 2018 and the new nvidia gpus getting announced supposedly in February. Not because i necessarily want to wait for the new stuff but because then an 8700k will be cheaper and hopefully a 1080ti will be too.

But to be honest im not really waiting for that. Im waiting cuz my wife wont let me buy until my bday haha im man enough to admit it. But hey at least im getting it. N now i have time to reasearch and really put some thought into what i want.

What would you do?

Arrrrbol, Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I would do what you're doing... Make my wife happy by doing what she wants me to. Good wives are far more important and harder to come by than good computers.

I've had mine 31 years and love her more than when she was brand new. Computers never last anywhere near that long, and after a year or two you're ready for something better even though it has plenty of life left in it.

Waiting when you want something sucks. Patience might be a virtue, but it is always inconvenient. (Never pray for God to grant you patience, LOL.) But, it does offer the advantage of better prices (usually) and a better selection of options to choose from when the time comes to drop a bunch of cash on new hardware.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    FaTT, Mr.Koala, Arrrrbol and 2 others like this.
  9. Ravern87

Reputations:
    Haha always. I was asking more of where i should buy from as in ibuypower or micro center...i would never cross the wife...shes of asian descent and has quite the temper lmfao. I dont mind waiting. Im learning about what to get n what not to get. I just cant decide to order from a company like ibuypower or go to microcenter n pick out the parts myself.

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Price it both ways and see how it compares. Ideally, build it yourself. Definitely more gratifying. But, if it is not going to save you any money, it is nice to have a full system warranty in addition to the manufacturer warranty for each individual part.

11. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Most importantly, with wives there are no more sells of the same model if you miss the first promotion. And finding another compatible model usually means doing the hard work all over again. Standardized mass production was revolutionary indeed.

:p

Jokes aside, to answer OP's question, when playing titles where you can benefit significantly from a high fresh rate, latency would become important as well. And assuming equal throughput a 2-way SLI/CF system would have at least twice the average rendering latency, if not more, than a one GPU system. Therefore, if you're not sure, always go with the one GPU solution.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Mr. Fox likes this.