Want to buy an Area 51M, unsure...

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by kaworu876, Mar 2, 2020.

1. kaworu876

kaworu876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys! I'm gonna basically go through the form..

1) What is your budget?
    A bit variable, but I am willing to spend as much as ~3K on a truly decent laptop that will last ~5 years at a minimum - like the last AW laptop I bought almost 6 years ago and has barely had any issues at all.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

America, California
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Frankly, I would, though I am a bit leery and believe strongly that refurbished laptops tend to have problems that crop up again and again.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Gaming at a high level, virtual reality, watching television and films, writing/working while home.... My laptop is the center of my entire world when I am at home, especially when I have no guests. I essentially never turn it off, and rarely if ever close it.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

I only take my notebook when I have to travel and leave town. Most of time, it is simply plugged in at home and it moves around a little bit on a lapdesk, or my coffee table, or the couch, or next to my bed.... I like big huge powerful laptops like this because basically I *love* being able to move my computer around my house to a small degree, and I LOATHE being handcuffed to a desk for hours on end like I used to have to do, before the advent of decently powerful laptop machines.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

Oh, sure. I don't even really know which game, I'm not a freaking psychic! Gimme a break! Lol, but I enjoy shooters like Rage 2, Metro series, RPS games like SC2, and I am very very VERY excited to try VR and I really want this machine to be powerful enough to run VR, As a future purchase I want to make in the near future, thats deeply significant.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

I only really need battery life when the power goes out in my home for some reason. It is almost not even a consideration.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Do not care either way.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows, I suppose....

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

Well.... 4K would be nice but to be HONEST, I'm really okay with a 1080p screen and the ability to plug it into a bigger monitor for 4K if needed. Even a 17-inch 4K screen strikes me as more than a little bit silly.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Glossy, but it ain't a dealbreaker.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

It does not truly matter, but when a notebook looks foolish and garish and absurd with no sense of aesthetics whatsoever....Lookin at you MSI... I aint too too happy. Not a dealbreaker again.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

Not much. Maaybe half a gig of SSD and a cheap HDD?

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

Soon, I hope.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

At least 5 years, maybe longer.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

Ugh, I do NOT wanna think about it, and its coming up soon since my current one has been running nonstop basically since 2015, heh.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you don't need battery life, the A51M should fit the bill. With $3k budget though, you will struggle a bit, especially if you take out extended warranty as you def should.

3. kaworu876

Reputations:
    Welp, I went ahead and bought it! I hope I uh.... Made a good purchase. I really hope the coronavirus doesn't like, mess up the delivery of my laptop. I'm not at all worried about germs in the box or anything (hopefully we all know that coronavirus cannot live in or on or even around a box at this point as transmission is person-person) but I am worried about whether it gets here on time (April 1st - I hate that due date so much, the joke better not be on me).

Well, anyway, I would *REALLY* appreciate it if you guys could look over the specifications of the laptop I bought, and what I paid for it, and tell me whether or not like... this was a GOOD BUY. or something I might regret.

For reference, I spec'd and purchased this from the Dell site which I... hope was not stupid. I had a good experience last time I purchased from them, and I'm kind of distrustful of xoticpc and similar websites, I had a horrendously awful purchasing experience with them and the laptop they sold me was pretty ****ed and didn't last nearly as long as it ought to have. It's often cheaper to order from those sites, but it feels risky to me frankly - not that I have ANY fondness for Dell, or any huge corporation for that matter.

So anyway, I've had my eye on purchasing an Area-51m for quite a while, and kept an eye on the Alienware site, seeing if any new discounts were popping up. Last week, they started a sale offering a formidable 17% discount code for most of their computers, including AW, which was more or less exactly the kind of discount I was looking for! That's in addition to another $100 off they give you for no particular reason, so that's pretty neat. In essence, those discounts bring the cost of this Area-51m to something pretty goddamn reasonable, considering.

Well, I think it's a pretty good deal, at least... I sincerely hope it was. The truth is, I'm really not sure, and I don't want to be ripped off, or overpay for no particularly good reason. So I'm just gonna lay it all out, and bring up any and all niggling concerns I have. Oh, I truly pray that they are largely unfounded.

Oh, I also wanted to add that my current laptop is an Alienware 15 R1, which I bought directly from Dell on the very week when they first came out with the new Intel 9th generation processors back in.... 2015 I think? It had a GTX 970m; fabulous 5 years ago and OKAY now, but getting outdated. Honestly, it's been the best laptop (or computer, full stop) that I have ever owned. I've used it each and every day since then, going on 6 years now. Sometimes I'd have to running practically hot enough to cook a damn egg on it, but it always kept chugging along, with minimal stress for me.

I've never had to replace a single component in it, either, unless you count thermal paste. It's got a typical

Recently it's been pretty rough, and the GPU is starting to fail and seems to blue-screen, uh, several times a day now. I always keep my drivers updated, and I do proper laptop maintenance and take care of mine (I don't think it'd have lasted 6 years otherwise) Games don't even seem to run quite so well, though only certain ones will just crash. It's a little scuffed but not badly at all. I have had a little issue with the caps lock key not going back into its place and breaking, so that sucks but is ultimately fairly inconsequential.

The truth is, ultimately, that I cannot run AAA games at max settings (not even at medium sometimes) even on this 1080p monitor. By itself it's not enough to spur me into getting a new laptop, but combined with the GPU issues.... oof.

AREA 51m
    MY SPECS

COLOR:
    Dark side of the Moon (black)
    WIFI: Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0
    PANEL:
    17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz, IPS, NVIDIA G-SYNC, Eyesafe(R) Display Tech + Tobii Eyetracking
    STORAGE: 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD (brand not specified(
    RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 at 2400MHz
    GPU: NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 2070 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
    CPU:
    9th Gen Intel Core i7-9700K (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.9GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
    WARRANTY:
    1 Year of: Accidental Damage | Remote Diagnosis + Onsite Service | Limited Hardware Warranty

PRICE BEFORE DISCOUNTS: $3,208.99
    TOTAL DISCOUNTS: $-628.53
    SUBTOTAL: $2,580.46
    TAX(CA): $231.56

FINAL TOTAL AFTER TAX: $2,812.02
    -------------------------------------------​
    So, that's my machione.... I have some questions about the processor not having multi-threading (really?) and how strong the GPU is - I have never had a desktop Gaming PC so I have no clue, really.... Is the GPU a desktop class one, or is it just the processor?

etern4l likes this.
  4. kaworu876

Reputations:
    And... wow my sig is from 10 years ago, that Sager really sucked :(

etern4l likes this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. petitcat

petitcat Newbie

Reputations:
    Well the Area 51M is super bulky tho. I've been watching other brands like Razer, GIGABYTE, AORUS, maybe you can check them out too.

Razer, GIGABYTE & AORUS seems are very good at making high-end products like Alienware. What cathces my eyes from them is the ID design. The laptop models they have looks very sleek and elegance. Price wise is also normally better than Alienware, which means you should probably get a better specification at the similar price range from Razer, GIGABYTE & AORUS.

Generally I feel Alienware is pricing too high so i started to look for other options.

Hope that helps.

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OMG. Where is the damn downvote button when you need it!

8. petitcat

petitcat Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree Alianware is kindda like a power monster but it's always good if you have options to think twice right?

9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The operative word is "think". Which Razer laptop has a desktop CPU and an upgradeable graphics card running at 200W? There is no point comparing apples to oranges.

10. PLiu327

PLiu327 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've used the Aero 15 by GIGABYTE for a while, about 2-3 years, the Aero is great very portable and powerful for it's size, I really like the thin bezels and the screen is color corrected out of the box, but now I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new one. I like the OLED panel, saw it from PAX last year. The screen is crisp and clear, I asked about burn-in concerns people have, the Samsung OLED won't have burn-in unless you have it on the same screen for like 300 hours, it seems to be fine. I'm thinking to go with this either of these, they've got deals on Amazon now.

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-AER...4?keywords=aero+15&qid=1585328987&sr=8-4&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-AER...words=aero+15+OLED+2070&qid=1585329367&sr=8-2