WannaCry ransomware Microsoft releases XP update

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by ADOR, May 16, 2017.

1. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    inm8#2 and toughasnails like this.
  2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja

Reputations:
    Two patches available. One is the specific patch. The other seems to be all the patches released for last month.
    Just installed the patch on my daily CF52.
    Need to reboot now.

3. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    Bleepingcomputer also had a decrypter if you are already infected. I did the wife's work computer, but haven't done any of the others I have yet. Maybe later today when I find out why the suburban won't crank.

4. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja

Reputations:
    Because it's a Chevy and not a Ford?

SHEEPMAN! likes this.
  5. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    Considering it's surrounded by a Dodge and several Fords with only a 55 Chevy as backup across the yard, maybe.

Turned out it was only a bad ground, before taking the cable off and cleaning it I did get it to crank. It was running like crap. Guessing the cpu was surging with the ground for some reason. Put about 30 miles on it after the fix. It's good to go now.

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not sure what you meant by that, since "you did the wife's computer", but there is no such decrypter listed on beepingcomputer's WannaCrypt repair instructions, in fact it says this:

"Is it possible to recover WNCRY files that have been encrypted by WannaCry for Free?
    Unfortunately, there is no way to decrypt WNCRY files that were encrypted by the WannaCry Ransomware for free. There may, though, be methods to restore encrypted files that were stored on Dropbox or from Shadow Volume Copies that were not removed by the ransomware for some reason."

Emisoft does have some Decryptor software for other ransomeware...

How to remove the WannaCry & Wana Decryptor Ransomware
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-wannacry-wana-decryptor-ransomware

There are instructions on how to remove the infection, and stop further encryption of new files, that's about as good as it gets :)

And, IDK what version of Windows you have, but this thread says it's for Windows XP, and the bleepingcomputer instructions ask you to download software that only works on Windows 7 and newer, so it won't help for a Windows XP infection...what did you use instead?

Why an Emsisoft product can't be installed or executed on Windows XP & Vista

Here's a list of patches and other info on the WannaCrypt and related malware:

Microsoft Windows WannaCrypt Patches

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 12:41 AM
  7. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    I just applied the update patch to the wife's work computer. Nothing I have is infected so I haven't had to personally deal with this virus.

I must of misread the original cnet article then. I was thinking they said on bleepingcomputer there was a guide and that there was a decrypter for any files that were encrypted. Since I didn't need to fix a PC i didn't go fully in-depth with it.

SHEEPMAN! and hmscott like this.