Wanna grow your own food, tend your own farm?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gator, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator

Gator Go Gators!

Reputations:
    Taken straight from Yahoo:

Personally, I think life must have sucked before the dawn of urbanized societies. What's your take?

2. Electrostatic

Electrostatic Newbie

Reputations:
    there has been a series on one of the bbc channels recently which has been doing exactly what he has been doing,except the family didn't have to kill the animals,they had to go and watch them be killed in the abattoir,which they showed on the programme to.

it's good if people get to see exactly where their food comes from rather than just thinking their chicken,cow etc comes out of a growbag in the supermarket.

living in towns,it removes the reality of where everything comes from.

3. Mimino

Mimino Notebook Communist

Reputations:
    i personally think that it'd be cool to go back in time and see how people lived...yeah, no tv, internet, etc...plenty of other entertainment tho...

4. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Woof NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Life wouldn't have sucked, because without all the technology and change, we wouldn't know any better to think it sucked. Also, when people knew what they were doing and were good at it, it wouldn't be so bad. Take someone who already know that and I bet they could easily drive the costs down (both financial and dealing with it).

5. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    He's not very good at the chicken thing, theres much more efficient ways to get their meat instead of plucking them. Best way to do it: After you cut their heads off and hang them upsides down to let the blood drain out, have one person grab them by one leg, and another person by the other leg, and pull really hard really fast, and then pull the skin off of it and you have a leg, with the leg that has the wings attached, have one person grab the leg and another the wings, and pull that leg off also and skin it. Then pull the wings apart, the breasts should come off with them if you do it right, and then skin those. And you have all the meat off of the chicken in just a few seconds.

6. The Goalkeeper

The Goalkeeper Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Personally speaking, I've seen chicken getting slaughtered and it's no big deal. YOu go to a fresh market, pick the chicken (alive) that you want, then they'll kill it in front of you. Slash the throat in one flawless swipe then dip the chicken in hot water to start plucking the feathers. In the end, you know that you bought a fresh chicken and it my experience they taste so much better than the ones you buy say at Costco or Sammy's.

7. Mimino

Mimino Notebook Communist

Reputations:
    yeah, but do most people really see the whole process? i don't think so.. most would consider it to be gross(hate this word) or whatever....

8. The Goalkeeper

The Goalkeeper Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ...and that's why we have vegans and herbivores

9. Gator

Gator Go Gators!

Reputations:
    Yeah but without all that technology we would have to irrigate by hand and pray for rain (but not too much rain), sacrifice people to the sun god (but not too many because we don't want too much sun), and hope all the wild animals and locusts don't eat what we spend 16 hours a day, 7 days a week growing and sowing.

Also, the filicidal rabbits sure scare the **** out of me.

10. Jalf

Jalf Comrade Santa

Reputations:
    Like what, exactly?
    Spending all day in the fields? Eating disgusting varieties of porridge?
    Sleeping with the animals to keep warm (depending on how far back we go, of course)
    Being malnourished?
    Having no free time?

Yeah, must've been amazing fun... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.