Waking computer from sleep

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by InOrderToSignIn, Sep 28, 2018.

1. InOrderToSignIn

InOrderToSignIn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I recently acquired an Asus GL503VS and am extremely in love with it. Unfortunately, I have run into an issue when waking my computer from sleep. The backlight of the screen turns on. It's black, but you can see that it is lit up... if that makes sense. However, the screen never loads up the desktop/login screen. I end up having to turn the computer off and on again.

Sometimes, when I turn the computer off and on again the Asus ROG BIOS splashscreen will turn on, but the login screen will not pop up. It goes to the black screen mentioned before.

Does anyone have any ideas what would be causing this? Do I need to do a fresh install... would that even help?

*note* This behavior does not happen 100% of the time, but it is often enough for it to be a nuisance.

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Probably a graphics driver issue, what's your driver version?

I wanted to check if your laptop still uses a utility called ATK Package as that needs to be up to date as well but the driver download site is not showing me any drivers: https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ROG-STRIX-GL503VS-SCAR-Edition/HelpDesk_Download/

3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is a known bug from windows 10.

basicially your storage drive is stuck in sleep mode.

4. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Never happened to me and I've been using every single build of Windows 10 ever since Threshold 1 but all my drivers/BIOS are always up to date

5. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    Try turning off fast/quick startup in power settings and reboot and see if it helps.

John.

InOrderToSignIn likes this.
  6. InOrderToSignIn

Reputations:
    My drivers should be up to date... but I recently downloaded drivers to enable my ability to use Tensorflow more efficiently, so we will see if that's what's causing the issue.

I also turned off the fast/quick startup, so hopefully we can figure this out.

Thanks guys!

7. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you on Windows 10 1803? If yes, so i am, and i'm experiencing something similiar. Screen goes black for some time and then the laptop reboots, basically it just BSODs saying dxgmms2.sys is the cause of it. This started happening only on the latest version of windows for me, reinstalling the drivers with DDU didn't help either.

Use bluescreenview and check if you have any memory dump.
    https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

8. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Same here I get that as well and M$ should fix this problem. It drives me nuts when I can't turn on and worse if you left something running when it does this you have no idea what happened to whatever you had opened. My only fix was to keep my torrent program just idling to prevent it going into COMA status.

9. InOrderToSignIn

Reputations:
    Just thought I'd say, I think this did the trick. It's been a few days since I've run into the issue. It also seems to have fixed the problem of my laptop shutting down when it's supposed to be asleep.

Thanks!

10. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well to tell back with this latest Windows 10 update and with working image I left my computer on and it went to sleep and after 12 hours I was able to wake it up. So I am on guess those times that I used it could've corrupted something to cause it not wakeup. But I see how this latest update goes and what it was suppose to fix.

macmyc likes this.