1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Waiting for your Z series laptop???

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by jrc1432000, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrc1432000

jrc1432000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I finally received my Z61t (9440-D9U) today morning at 10.49 am. I ordered it on 11/14th after doing lot of research and it finally came on 12/20th after 36 days. The system looks awesome. I would say it's worth the wait. However this statement doesn't justify the way Lenovo is dealing with the customers. Lenovo, being the third largest PC producer in the world (after taking over the PC division of IBM) should do much better I think in terms of cutomer service.

Just 2 concerns:

1. No. of processes way high. ( I can deal with this)
    2. Flex on the right hand side of the system near the DVD drive is too much. you can just press with a finger and it doesn't feel strong in that area. (one comment to mtnkbr's view, i feel the palm rest area is not too bad).

Good luck for all those who are still waiting. Those who already received theirs enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

2. joex

joex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is absolutely ridiculous... For all the hell you went thru (we went thru) they should send someone to your house to replace it...

It sounds like they are trying to handle it as an exchange. I wonder if it would be different if you tried to get it fixed thru the warranty. At the least I would expect them to let you hold onto your laptop until an exchange model was available.

So, um, what's under the sticker? Is it more metal, or is it a cutout that shows plastic behind it? I'm kinda anti-label and was thinking of replacing it with something clever... If I could actually think of something clever ;-)

After having it for about a week now I have to say it was a good purchase. I've got the DVI passthru working with the dock and it drives my 1680x1050 display very well. Fedora Core 6 was a bit of a pain to work out, but it's now running happily... All and all, it's an excellent laptop.

-Joe

3. billhelm

billhelm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Still waiting on ship for my z61m. Decided not to change my order. I couldn't price anything comparable in the T60 WS that wasn't 500 bucks more. The marginal size difference wasn't worth it.

Ship date on the site is now 01/01/07, but we all know that means nothing.

Having just bought a built to order Dell last year, I can say that Lenovo needs some work on their site to come even close to the level of detail that Dell shows you throughout your order life cycle. It's pretty obvious that their supply chain management needs some work too. They are losing business because of stuff like this. A lot of it, I bet. I won't buy a Dell again because of customer service issues, and wasn't that interested in the alternatives, so I'm sticking with my order. For now.

4. ray456

ray456 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you think anybody from Lenovo reads these threads?

5. uniquestco

uniquestco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    my Z61t finally arrived today, I LOVE it worth the wait, VERY NICE machine, this machine will be a huge seller i'm sure, i can't beleive the keyboard -awesome !!

6. max_power

max_power Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Just a guess.. but I would say that someone does monitor the larger forums. I'm sure they are all aware of the calls, the posts, the unhappy end users and the ups and downs. The activity here is probably only a reflection of what they already know.

7. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I asked about what if I request this after the 21-day exchange period and was told I'd be out of luck at that point. I need to do something about it now, or else get nothing! I'm still waiting to hear from the Lenovo guy I spoke with, but he did reply to me saying he's still looking into it.

I'm pretty sure it's metal under the cover, and not plastic. If pulled off, it would leave you with a recessed section on your titanium cover. I personally like the sticker, and want a new one! A SIMPLE REQUEST IMHO. I will let you all know what happens.

8. JeffreyDJ

JeffreyDJ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine did come today. Arrived at 9:00AM at my company. Between working today I started the install. It now has Vista installed. I only have one install issue -- Cam doesn't seem to work in Vista. Oh well, I'll either figure it out, or live without.

Other than that, I like it.

I do have two other issues: They didn't ship my extra A/C adapter and my warranty only shows one year, though I purchased an extended warranty.

Overall, very good quality.

9. bigbigsky

bigbigsky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will receive my Z61t today as well. Can you guys tell me what I need to check for to make sure the machine is working well? Sorry if this is off topic. Thanks.

10. Anon00

Anon00 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Called them up, they said the build date should have been the 14th on the computer but they don't know why it hasn't been built and/or shipped. :rolleyes:

11. jkozlow3

jkozlow3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Same here. My build date was supposed to be the 15th and ship date was supposed to be yesterday - 12/20. I got the same "I don't know why it hasn't shipped yet" comments.

I am getting REALLY annoyed with Lenovo and keep thinking of canceling my order and ordering a Compal HEL80 or something.

12. Anon00

Anon00 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lenovo needs to seriously work on Inter-agency communication and forward that communication to the customer. I wouldn't be agitated if I knew wtf was going on. Is the shell backed up, memory, etc? Do you have an estimated delivery date? I think most people shopping with Lenovo are level headed, so they understand delays can happen, their providers may have experienced a hiccup that effects the entire downstream. Just let know ffs.

Our order shouldn't stay "In Process" The entire time. It should be "In Process", "Build Date Estimated: XX/XX/XX", "Build Started: XX/XX/XX", "Invoiced and Packaged: XX/XX/XX", "Shipped XX/XX/XX".

13. JeffreyDJ

JeffreyDJ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sadly, it isn't even a new issue! You read posts and info from a year ago and more and they still had those same issues even then!

Google is eye opening to the problems Lenovo has had.

14. ray456

ray456 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I couldn't agree more. Just be forthright, explain the situation and the vast majority of the people will try and understand the circumstances. Instead in my case the sales rep tell's me that my computer has been built and ready to ship...for the last week????

So I'm playing the game, calling them everday in my happiest voice asking if its been shipped? Of course I know the real reason.... they have no shells in the Z series until Dec 27, but apparently my sales rep is not privy to this information. Or he's not letting on.

15. joex

joex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Get in touch with a complaints supervisor... You won't get the laptop any quicker, but you can get 10% off, or 6 months on your waranty...

16. davebrennan

davebrennan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Joex, coulnd't agree with you more. I got 10% off. The complaint manager was honestly the only one I've dealt with during this whole process who actually seemed to care, or even attempted to be straight with me. December 27th is going to be a busy day in Lenovo-land...unless, of course, they don't get the shipment of shells in!

17. jkozlow3

jkozlow3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Would anyone care to PM me their order number and order date if you've successfully gotten Lenovo to give you 10% off your order to keep you from canceling? I called Lenovo, telling them that my "friend" got 10% off due to shipment delays and they asked me for the order number.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

18. Charles Wood

Charles Wood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You're all in far better shape than I am. My z61t has been down for over a month. It was at Lenovo for three weeks after having failed new out of the box. It was returned last Friday a week ago, again dead out of the box. After calling every day, a supervisor finally called today, very arrogant. I politely but firmly told him that I am at the end of my patience and if someone could not resolve my request for a new exchange unit, I would file a formal complaint with my credit card company. His response was "you do what you have to do and we'll do what we have to do". No apologies, just sheer arrogance.

This was my first and last purchase of a Lenovo product. I sincerely regret my original purchase decision.

19. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At what point is it reasonable to ask for the 10% off? How long must you wait before you can even think about it? The laptop I'm still waiting for was ordered on Nov 30, and was assured that it would built this week (18th Dec), and ship out this week. It's Friday, and certainly doesn't look like it'll go. I spoke to a rep and they said it looks like early January, but they've performed miracles in the past, so maybe sometime next week. He even acknoledged it's good for them so they can report the sale on 2006.

How do I go about getting a discount? Call up and ask for a complaints supervisor immediately? Then go ask say "I wasnt 10% for the trouble you've caused me"?

20. davebrennan

davebrennan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I called the standard number (866-42-Think) at least 10 times over the first 5 weeks after I placed my order. When it was apparent that the reps I spoke with had no accurate and usually conflicting info I asked what my options were to express my frustration. I was told the rep could file a formal complaint on my behalf and that a complaint representative (not sure of the exact title) would contact me within 1-2 business days. We exchanged voice mails several times with her giving me updated info on the build status each time (of course, that never changed and still is stuck at 01/04/07). When we finally spoke in person, she was very understanding and told me she'd completely understand if I cancelled. I told her the reason I ordered the z61t is that it really was the only machine with everything I needed. She appreciated my desire to continue waiting and extended the 10% on her own. I didn't ask for it.

Now, did I get lucky? Perhaps. Then again I saw earlier posts where some people got $300 off (a hell of a lot more than my 10% btw). I suspect any form of compensation is at the sole discretion of the rep you deal with and I don't think the Level I reps can even do it. They're the ones getting all the heat from customers so naturally they're the most unpleasant to deal with.

My advice is to ask to file a formal complaint, and when you do get in touch with a complaint rep be very polite. I took a few deep breaths before every call I made. Remember, it's a supply shortage and the people on the phone have NO control at all of how quick the parts get to the factory. I sound like an old fashioned ninny, but in this case you really do get more flies with honey. Be calm and explain why you're upset. We all chose the Thinkpad because of the rep of the machine, and make that clear to them. Sorry to sound like Ms. Manners, but I do think it helps.

As for my order #...I'd rather not get some spiteful rep pull my discount. If that's being callous, I apologize. I don't even know if they would or could do it, but at this point the discount is the only think keeping my frustration in check.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.