Waiting for news on the Dell AMD G5 SE

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Spring1898, Apr 16, 2020.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    They do indeed have JEDEC timings for DDR4-3200 CL20.

hwinfo.JPG

Sadly I did not run the same test on the 2666mhz CL16 ram. But honestly I am probably just going to stick with the 3200mhz CL20 ram regardless.

aida64.JPG

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Papusan likes this.
  2. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is good to know :) Is it the HyperX Impact 3200cl20?

3. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    Yes it is the HyperX HX432S20IBK2/32 kit. It does use Micron memory but I did not check if it was specifically E-die.

4. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think I read it somewhere. Good that there is slightly faster ram available :)

5. laptopnoob678

laptopnoob678 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    The STAPM reported is CPU and GPU TDP combined. The issue with heat is poor contact with the factory paste job. The die size of the cpu and gpu are much smaller than the 14 and 12 nm dies of Intel and Nvidia. It makes good contact even more important.

This laptop is built by Wistron and I am not sure what the quality control is like, but given the low price it is probably not very good.

7. laptopnoob678

Reputations:
    Have you re-pasted? Has anyone in this thread?

He seems to know what he's talking about though. According to this other thread, Dell had him sign an NDA and test some code to try and fix it

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/htqt21/dell_g5_15se_thermal_issues_a_followup/

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  8. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    I did repaste, however in the process of taking it apart I discovered a motherboard mount for one of the heatsink screws was missing. So even with a good repaste job it's going to be tough to get good die contact.

I have read through his thread and hope he can we get a positive experience from it.

9. laptopnoob678

Reputations:
    That sucks. Did you mention it to Dell, or did it break off while you were re-pasting?

Btw, how do you remove the casing on this laptop? Like which order did you pry and lift the cover off? On my G3 (which is practically identical) each time I opened it, from front to back, as careful as I was, one of the little plastic clips ended up breaking off. So now both plastic clips have broken off at the back of the bottom cover near the hinge, I don't want the same to happen to my G5

10. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    I am not sure if it was missing before hand or broke off. Nothing is rattling around when I shake it. The missing post was for heatsink screw #3 so I am curious if yours is missing as well when it is taken apart. It is easy to tell even without removing the heatsink as the screw just spins freely and bounces on the tension spring.

Use the correct screwdriver bit and a good quality kit. The screws feel like pot metal so it is easy to slip and round them off if care is not taken. If you are removing the bottom panel, just use a plastic spudger along the edge to pop all of the clips apart, including up under the display between the hinges. At that point it should be able to slide around the hinges on the back to come free. If you encounter resistance, just go back to using the spudger to pop the missed clip free rather than pulling from the entire bottom panel.