Waiting for news on the Dell AMD G5 SE

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Spring1898, Apr 16, 2020.

1. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seems like around 1600MHz@1000mv is where it maxes out. I can run 1600MHz@850mv 100% stable on 5700XT. Can you try and see what happends?

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    No frequency or voltage control is available in MSI Afterburner regardless of settings selected. I am using the latest AMD provided GPU driver package if it matters, shows up as version 2020 10.10. I am not sure if Radeon Wattman is still a thing or not, but it did not seem to be present or enable-able in the Radeon Software.

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you can get Wattman to appear in Radeon Drivers by using MSI Afterburner to unlock voltage control, it could provide you with the needed leeway to undervolt the GPU.
    Some people had success with this on RX 560 mobile GPUs... however, they did report that changing settings in Wattman just resets them after trying to apply the changes (at least on the indicators)... the modified settings however did still work apparently (despite them resetting to standard).

4. taraquin

Reputations:
    Have you checked 'unlock voltage control' in afterburner? Does frequency/voltagecurve work? Ctrl+f?

5. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    I tried all of the various options. Reference / Standard MSI / Extended MSI / Third Party. Nothing allowed the sliders to be enabled. I tried the Beta version. I tried Ctrl+F.

On another note, I found out that the USB-C port is connected to the IGP Vega GPU, so if you want to run a projector or such, using that connect greatly increases battery life vs. the HDMI / mDP which are connected to the 5600m.

I was curious what your thoughts are about DDR4-3200 CL22 vs. DDR4-2666 CL16. I installed my 32GB HyperX kit which has worked great other than it operates at the slower frequency which may be limiting infinity clock (but the Anandtech Renoir article claims that infinity clock is not tied to ram frequency anymore as it does not use chiplets). I could purchase a 32GB DDR4-3200 CL22 kit, but I feel like it would be a waste until better stuff is available with JEDEC timings.

6. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    New Intel Gen10 laptops i came across from Lenovo offerings are specified to be efficient with 2933mhz RAMs. However, such "Obsure Clockrate" RAM is not widely available in the market, except the wider available higher 3200mhz Sodimm RAMs. Hence, some Gen10 gears are fitted with 3200mhz RAMs that can cater for Ryzen4K CPUs, can be considered as "pillow" to "low demanding" Gen10 Intels.

One funny observation i have on the Clevo NH5#A laptop... Not all resellers elsewhere offers by default, 3200Mhz RAM in basic system configuration. Some are fitted with 2666mhz RAMs that we're still using with Ryzen3K and Intel Gen 8th/9th CPUs.

7. taraquin

Reputations:
    That was a downer, hopefully newer versions of afterburner will support it.

As for ram 2666cl16 has a bit better latenvy than 3200cl22, but lower bandwith. The IF seems to run coupled with ram on H-platform, but uncoupled on U-platform so you either get 1333 or 1600 IF clock.

8. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    I did a little research and it appears that Afterburner does not work at all for 5500m either, so I do not think this issue is related to Smartshift.

I am going to try HX432S20IBK2/32 again and see if it is stable at DDR4-3200 CL20. What is a good benchmark to compare memory performance?

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Aida Cashe/memory bencmark. As well see here if you can find something to use for the comparison https://hwbot.org/benchmarks/memory

win32asmguy likes this.
  10. taraquin

Reputations:
    Hopefully MSI launches a new bersion of AB which is compatible soon :) Both the 560 and 580 mobile works good with UV in AB after they got support.

As for ram you need jedec or a ram which the IMC can read the spd of the ram. With Intel it's easier due to xmp. As far as I know only the 3200cl22 are jedec and hence get good support on both Intel and AMD. You can try the HyperX, you might get lucky :) they are Micron E-die so they should in theory work very well with ryzen.