Waiting for news on the Dell AMD G5 SE

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Spring1898, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The DELL seems to be tethering at the 'edge' of thermal threshold for the CPU.

My point was that in the G5 at least, it seems that (thus far) dropping temperatures was a challenge at best.
    Seeing how laptops have uneven cooling assemblies and poor thermal efficiency of the cooling assembly in the G5 15 SE, it is inconclusive whether Kryonaut (or any other thermal paste) would be sufficient in bringing down temperatures on the CPU.

Application of Kryonaut might be beneficial, but someone needs to test it out.
    And if Kryonaut is able to do that, then it stands to reason that Liquid Metal (with foam barriers) might be able to bring the temperatures down to (possibly) 95 degrees Celsius for the CPU when its stressed - if this is achievable for the CPU with LM, it might also allow the GPU to function as it should.

That said, as you mentioned, disabling the turbo boost for the APU seems like the best option for the DELL (in which case, only Kryonaut would be needed - and I'd apply that thermal paste on both CPU and GPU).

As for GPU undervolting, as I mentioned before, it should be possible to enable Wattman via MSI Afterburner. Wattman may not visually apply voltage changes, but it seems that it still applies them either way... it would need to be tested while a GPU benchmark is running to see whether the temperatures on the GPU are dropping (or if the performance is improving).

What also concerns me is what Frank Azor mentioned... and that is the fact that in the DELL, the 5600M is drawing 70-80W as opposed to the 90-100W as it should.
    I don't know whether this GPU power limitation is because of the inefficient cooling or it was set like that in the vBIOS.
    If its the vBIOS, then it would be a problem and the GPU would never be able to achieve its full performance (which should be on the level of RTX 2060 at least) without vBIOS modifications ... but alas, someone needs to test this out.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  2. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think ryzen controller would be a better approach than disable turbo. Why? You can control temp limit and tdp. Set a tdp of for instance 25W and you will still get max single core boost, but all core turbo will be lower. If you want max 90C cpu, then set it :)

3. laptopnoob678

laptopnoob678 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Shame that will never be an option...

4. taraquin

Reputations:
    It works with several others laptops with 4800H etc. I had to install and reinstall it a couple of times on my Acer before it worked. It also must have admin privileges.

5. laptopnoob678

Reputations:
    Sorry! I read that as Ryzen Master. When I tried it, it tended to ignore the max temp. I'll try it out again later.

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I thought you already tried Ryzen Controller to set a manual TDP. It probably would not work because in this system SmartShift governs TDP for the CPU and GPU. Ryzen Master is not supported by the Renoir CPU's currently.

7. laptopnoob678

Reputations:
    That makes sense, but even this registry fix is not working for me anymore. It used to be hit and miss, and I would sometimes have to enable it then disable it (performance boost mode) but now it's stuck at 4Ghz no matter what.

God, I can't wait for Intel to be back on top

8. Mark121

Mark121 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's been a long time since I posted here, Got my G5 15 Se last month

And I noticed the same thing hot temps warm to the touch palm area, I did re-paste with Thermal Grizzly paste,

Helped a little, but what seemed to really make a difference was to remove the mesh that is inside the back casing

where the fans pull air from, to much restriction on fresh air, I did notice much cooler palm area for sure

taraquin likes this.
  9. taraquin

Reputations:
    Have you tried afterburner and unlocked voltage controll? Since the 5600m can draw 80W+ this us where you can improve thermals the most. If you can't adjust voltage itself, vtry adjusting curve by ctrl+f. On desktop 5600XT voltage is around 950-1000mv during load. Voltagefloor is usually 750mv-850mv (this is what videomemory runs at and will be the lowest you can go during load) depending on memory voltage. If its 750mv you can probably lower voltage to 750mv and try frequency 8
    Of 1400MHz. On my 5700XT scaling is almost linear to a certain point.
    850mv@1600MHz
    900mv@1700MHz
    950mv@1800MHz
    1000mv@1900MHz
    1060mv@2000MHz
    Above 1050mv it's no linear anymore.
    If voltagefloor is 800mv try 1500MHz, or slightly lower, if 750mv 1400MHz could work.

Can you try ryzen controller again, give it admin privileges and set it to apply regularly? Also if there is smartshift-software installed, remove it.

Another trick in powersettings is to set max cpu-state to 99%. This will limit cpu-speed usually to half of turbo, but can vary. This will mean around 2.1GHz, so it could affect performance in some games a bit, and for productivity it sucks, but mostly in games gpu is the bottleneck.

10. taraquin

Reputations:
    Cool. Much of a clock speed difference? Are temps still in high 90s during gaming? Tried ryzen controller or turbo boost disable? Afterburner to undervolt gpu?