Waiting for news on the Dell AMD G5 SE

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Spring1898, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Spring1898

Spring1898 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anybody have any updates?
    It looks to be almost the same chassis as the current G3 3590, maybe a little thicker since it has 4 vents in the pictures?
    This will likely be my next laptop purchase to replace both my current G3 as well as my secondary desktop.

2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's now available for order in U.S, Canada and Australia's website.
    Note that there are 2 system builds that could affect storage installation options as well as battery size options.
    If you choose to hv a 2.5" storage bay, there won't be a 2nd M2 slot for further upgrades...
    [​IMG]
    ...the battery size will shrunk as well to 51whr.

If you opt for 2 M2 installation system, there will be a M2 slot soldered in replacement to the connection for 2.5" storage(HDD/SSD)...
    [​IMG]
    ...the battery size will be beefed up to 68whr.

Notice the difference between the 2? Here's a better focus...
    [​IMG]

3. chris_compson

chris_compson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I Just ordered the G5 SE with the
    • AMD Ryzen™ 7 4800H Mobile Processor with Radeon™ Graphics
    • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit English
    • 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 3200MHz
    • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
    • 15.6 inch FHD(1920x1080) 300nits WVA Anti-Glare LED Backlit Display(non-touch), 144Hz refresh rate
    • AMD Radeon™ RX 5600M
    • Standard Backlight Keyboard.
    i will likely install 1-2 1tb NVME ssds I have in there 1 Samsung 1 intel. hence why I went with the Lower Cost 512GB Version.
    Also it looks like in the tear down instruction they are using a previous gen system where it shows the battery with a 2.5"ssd you will notice on the spec sheet it only has 2x NVME:
    upload_2020-5-23_7-10-20.png
    that wouldn't be the first time I have seen them do that...

I should have mine June 15th

4. Ed. Yang

Reputations:
  5. chris_compson

Reputations:
    Yeah mine is from their spec sheet. as of right now they don't offer the larger battery i called and they couldn't choose it them selves my guess is they are reserving the larger battery for the more power hungry Intel System and the smaller one for the amd system not that big of a deal for me currently.

also looking at the 5500 (intel) Spec sheet its the intel version that has the Drive bay changes my guess is the 1650 has the 2.5" option the 1660 Doesn't if you look at the specs for the 5500 its basically 2 diffrent chassis:
    https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/g-series-15-5500-laptop_setup-guide_en-us.pdf
    upload_2020-5-23_7-38-59.png

6. Ed. Yang

Reputations:
    Looking forward to the arrival and your 1st hand evaluation of the first all red blood AND Gaming machine from DELL!

7. chris_compson

Reputations:
    I am looking forward to it as well. I'm hoping it is good one thing that worries me is apparently Per Hot Hardware(see snippet Below) Dell decided to use the USBC port in ALT Mode Meaning no USB over that port...im hoping they see the error in their ways and enable it as USBC is the future...we will see currently everything I have is either USB A ports or USBC on the device but came with 2 cables C to A and C to C. we will see what happens. either way this will be my Home driver my XPS will still be the Mobile computer I take everywhere. But if i need ethernet or gaming the G Series will come with me lol.

From Hot Hardware: A wide variety of ports flank both sides of the G5. On the left, we can find all sorts of ports. There's one each of Super Speed USB 3.2 Gen 1 port, HDMI 2.0, mini DisplayPort, Ethernet, charger input, and a USB Type-C connector. That USB Type-C connection only carries DisplayPort Alternate Mode video signals, not data. We do like the inclusion of a Type-A port, since so many brand new peripherals even today only come with the older form factor. Wired Ethernet is a good choice for online gaming, too.

8. Ed. Yang

Reputations:
    USB-C charging is still an exclusive attraction on INTEL system. Even non-executive or non-gaming makes still get that...

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Exclusive in which way? The G14 allows for USB charging, although it only supports 65w or something like that.

10. Ed. Yang

Reputations:
    How many AMD systems hv u come across that features USB-c charging?
    Yes, the Zephyrus latest release does hv that, how about the others? Can share some others u know?