Wait for a Pascal ultrabook?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Percy Proxy, Jun 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Percy Proxy

Percy Proxy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, this is a specific take on the widely discussed wait-for-Pascal-problem and I was not sure whether to add to an existing thread or create my own one. Sorry if this overlaps too much with other topics.

Now, for various reasons, I definitely want a silent, slim laptop with good build quality and battery. This is the most important thing. On second priority, I would also use it for gaming a lot (rpgs - most demanding ones being modded Skyrim, Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, 30-40 fps is fine). I was just about to buy the UX501VW, when the new Pascal "rumours"/announcements made me hesitate. I do tend towards the current version, but I am not sure anymore if that is a "mistake".

Apparently, the 960m is just about enough for most of my rpg-needs in the foreseeable 1-2 years - it allows for medium-high details in Witcher 3 and medium-quality textures and enb in Skyrim, and there do not seem to be many demanding AAA titles coming out that I am crazy about.
    In that case, does a future-"proofing" with Pascal even make sense, especially when considering that Pascal might lead to higher emissions or prices? The next gpu upgrade I would really need would be in 2019/20 or so, when Pascal will be old itself.

So, what makes more sense for me - to wait for a Zenbook Pro/Dell XPS with Pascal or to buy a 960m-version now?

Oh, one more thing: can it already be guessed whether the Zenbook Pro's thunderbolt 3 will be compatible with egpu solutions?

Thanks for any answers!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    EGPU solutions like the Razer Core can work on all Thunderbolt 3 laptops, but its up to manufacturers to support it with the bios, so the answer is kinda maybe. I wouldn't buy a laptop for that purpose, but its possible. Do you have a budget? Also the Zenbook Pro and Dell XPS are not Ultrabooks. You may have some more powerful options with 970m gpus if laptops in that class are what you're looking at. Some MSI laptops like the GS60, or the Clevo P650RE come to mind.

Also note that MSI and Clevo laptops even though they are "gaming" laptops, should not be making noise if you aren't putting the parts under load. Web browsing and writing documents and stuff like that should not be generating noise.

We don't know for sure when mobile Pascal will launch. I would guess soon, as the 9XXm series launched soon after the GTX 980, but I can't say for sure.

3. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yep. With stock Clevo BIOS/EC the fans don't spin at all until you run something demanding. It's purely passive most of the time. MSI's fan curve seems to be a bit more flattened.

4. Percy Proxy

Percy Proxy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh, I misread some reviews, then. Will delete the 'ultrabook'-tag...

Well, it might be silly, but I do prefer the neutral/"boring" looks of the Dell/Asus over an MSI or, say, an Acer Predator...

Thanks for the suggestions! When looking at the 970m models available here right now, they all tend to have bad battery life, be very thick, or both, and also cost 1/4 or 1/3 more than the Asus. The price of the Asus (the equivalent of 1350$ here in Switzerland), is still o.k. for me, and I would only pay more if everything is perfect, which cannot really be said of any of the 970m options. The XMG Pro models come closest... but also have unknown availability in my country.

In the end,I am also not sure if the added boost of the 970m would be worth it for me at the moment. 1350$ is already enough as it is, and I won't see many drastic differences in my gaming, and will likely have a few shortages in battery life and/or size. I guess I want a specific build first, and the gpu second. Which again reinforces my point - the only promise of Pascal for me is more power in the same setup. But if I can dismiss 970m models based on their build aspects, maybe I do not really need Pascal... *sigh*

Seems like it - most guesses I read "agreed" on beginning of August for Pascal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.