[W7] Screen does not turn off when I close the lid

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by TC03, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC03

TC03 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Today I installed Windows 7 on my Studio 1537, but it occured to me that my notebook screen does not turn off when I close the lid. I installed all the latest drivers from the Dell website and everything works fine, besides this little problem. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? :confused: It used to work in Vista...

2. TC03

TC03 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll bump this one... ;)

3. taj619

taj619 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well u can try taking a look at the power options and see if the closing the lid option does is set to do shut down or not

4. DFI Fan

DFI Fan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd check your video drivers, possibly get the latest ones from ATI/Nvidia/Intel not from Dell. I'm pretty sure that in Windows 7 I didn't even have the option to have my computer turn off/go into stand by/etc. when I close the lid in the control panel until I installed the Nvidia drivers.

5. Viper786

Viper786 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had this happen to me on my XPS M1530... I called Dell and they ended up sending a technician to my house with a new LCD screen and a new motherboard and that fixed the problem. Drivers didn't do it for me.

6. DFI Fan

DFI Fan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, but this happened after he reinstalled the OS, so that would be a strange coincidence. Most likely it is just the setting or drivers.

7. TC03

TC03 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It could be the video drivers, but I think it's highly unlikely. First of all, I can choose whether I want my laptop to go sleep or turn off completely. It's just that the screen does not turn to black, which isn't even a setting in Vista or 7 because it should always turn to black.

It's not the hardware either, because just as said, it worked perfectly in Vista.

Anyway, thanks for your replies. :)

8. iaTa

iaTa Do Not Feed

Reputations:
  9. TC03

TC03 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for the drivers, but they do not solve my problem. Still an improvement though.

10. ps89

ps89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm facing this problem too. I noticed that closing the lid in the BIOS will cause the screen to switch off . However, the screen doesn't switch off in Windows. I wonder if this is a problem or something normal. :confused:

PS: OK. Just checked. It only happened to me in Windows Vista a long time ago. It no longer happens in Windows 7. By the way, I'm using this 64-bit graphic card driver. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.