w550s/t550 LCD screen replacement - brightness set at max.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by giggidy, Apr 5, 2015.

1. mtlfact

mtlfact Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess bios programmer it is for me! Wish me luck. Ordered from eBay so it will take a few weeks.

2. t30power

t30power Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey BulletMan, could you post the whole process?

3. BulletMan

BulletMan Newbie

Reputations:
    Sure. I used the following:

CH341A USB Programmer
    SOIC 8-pin test clips
    Spare PC/Laptop to work on
    Flash drive to transfer files to spare PC
    B140HAN02.0 replacement LCD
    Thinkpad t450s with garbage B140RTN0.3 screen

And followed these steps:
    1. Replace the LCD with your new one, and boot into Windows. You won't likely have brightness controls yet.
    2. Open moninfo and extract your EDID (highlight the selected display and hit Save As... )
    3. Download the latest X1 Carbon bios installer (I got the executable), and extract the .fl1 file from it with winrar, 7zip, etc... (thanks to DodoBenz for thinking of this)
    4. Open the .fl1 file in UEFItool and extract as-is the two modules of interest and save them somewhere (search GUIDs 81334616-86CE-49C2-B6F9-1804E61C73F6 and CC71B046-CF07-4DAE-AEAD-7046845BCD8A)
    5. Open up HxD and edit the two modules you saved. You'll want to replace an EDID entry with the EDID of your new display (just grab any block that looks like 00 FF FF FF FF FF...20 0A 00 XX). I replaced the same entry in both modules.
    6. Send both of the modified modules to your secondary PC.
    7. Disable the internal battery, unplug the CMOS battery, power your thinkpad off and, use the CH341A programmer and test clips to extract the BIOS. Save that on your second PC.
    8. Open up the dumped BIOS in UEFITool, and locate the two modules once more. This time, replace as-is each of your modded modules, then save your new BIOS as a .bin file
    9. Finally, write your new BIOS to your thinkpad with the programmer.
    10. Plug the CMOS battery back in, and put the laptop back together. Power it on and you should hear the usual two sets of ten beeps. Then you should be able to boot into Windows with brightness controls (hopefully) enabled!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    mtlfact and t456 like this.
  4. t30power

t30power Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Alright, thank you for the instructions.

So I need to tinker with the hardware to get the BIOS, I thought the process was easier by simply patching the BIOS.
    Anyways, I already bought a B140HAN01.2 for a unused T450, I'll decide if all this trouble is worth just to keep using Windows, maybe installing Ubuntu on it will suffice

5. mtlfact

Reputations:
    Any way you can explain where the bios chip is located on the Mobo (for a t450)? Either through pictures or an explanation.

6. DodoBenz

DodoBenz Newbie

Reputations:
    Next to right Ram slot under silver heat tape, just remove the tape gently and you'll see the 8 pin chip with a round indent on one corner

7. mtlfact

Reputations:
    I followed your instructions to a tee and....I have brightness control! Thanks a lot !!:D:D:D

8. jerzmacow

jerzmacow Newbie

Reputations:
  9. mtlfact

Reputations:
  10. grosmar

grosmar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys,

I've ordered the programmer and everything, but i'm really not familiar with these things. Maybe someone who get through on these steps could give me some help if I need when I will do it? I think in 1-2 weeks it should arrive.