1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

W530 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by QuantumMech, Jul 5, 2012.

1. QuantumMech

QuantumMech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is the place to be to discuss anything and everything W530 related. Deals, specs, upgrades, performance, problems, you name it.

Reviews:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2012/07/10/lenovo-thinkpad-w530-mini-review.aspx
    http://www.laptopreviews.com/lenovo-thinkpad-w530-review-2012-07

My build:

2. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. slapshot30

slapshot30 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can we get a list going on all the parts that are upgradable?

5. djembe

djembe drum while you work

Reputations:
    The repair guide is fantastic and shows how to replace pretty much anything. I upgraded the memory to maximum and swapped the hard drive for an SSD. Regarding the latter, it's useful to know that the hard drive that ships with the W530 is 7mm high, not the standard 9.5mm high. This means that if you plan to do hard drive or SSD upgrades, it's a good idea to get 7mm high drives or you will need different rubber rails with which to mount the drive in the computer.

The CPU can also be upgraded (although that will probably kill your warranty) to the super expensive extreme version if you want, and the wireless card can be upgraded to something that supports 802.11ac or the 802.11-2012 unified standard, if/when those are released. The optical drive can be swapped out for a hard drive caddy, and there are 2 different size (and easily removable) batteries to choose from as well as a docking port on the bottom to connect to either a docking station or an extended slice battery.

6. slapshot30

slapshot30 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow, thanks for all the info. I've heard of some troubles with upgrading the wireless card though... Something about them having to be Lenovo branded, so I wonder if I would be able to install a Bigfoot 1103.

7. QuantumMech

Reputations:
  8. K_Wall_24

K_Wall_24 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Repair guide? Does that come with the laptop or is that something you found on their website?

2 different sized batteries, your talking about the 6-cell and 9-cell that can be configured when ordering, or something else? I know for some models an Ultrabay battery exists, didn't know if that's what you meant when you say "and", or if you were just stitching sentences together.

9. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A search on "thinkpad w530 hardware maintenance manual" should lead to this page. Download the PDF therein.

10. djembe

Reputations:
    As mentioned, I was talking about the repair guide in .pdf form that I found on Lenovo's website.

And yes, I was talking about the 6-cell and 9-cell battery options, as well as the extra slice battery.

11. mikew3456

mikew3456 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    this was not true, at least for me. i ordered the 500gb 7200rpm drive with my w530. it is a toshiba

i read the same thing on the lenovo forums, and figured that i would need new rubber rails for my crucial m4 drive, so i bought $3 rails off ebay. today i finally replaced the drives. the rubber rails that came with the laptop were pretty much exactly the same, and were interchangable between both drives. so i'm pretty sure the stock toshiba is 9.5mm. this is depsite the fact that the tabook says it should be 7mm

12. djembe

Reputations:
    I read and responded to your post on the Lenovo forums, but just to put it here as well, the hard drive that shipped with my W530 was a 7mm Hitachi (500GB 7200RPM). I don't know if they ran out of one or the other (the Hitachi or the Toshiba) or if they just have multiple suppliers for hard drives. It does make it more complicated for ordering SSDs or other aftermarket drives, however.

13. GarryF

GarryF Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm having problems with autodesk inventor 2013

Anyone else using it can check if they have same problems?
    I've the nvidia k2000m version

Basically anti-aliasing is broken, so models look all jaggy, circa 5-10 year old graphics

Setting intel hd gpu only in bios then inventor runs in hardware mode and anti-aliasing is fine.

Setting nvidia gpu only in bios then above problem exhibits.

Now I just need to find someone to confirm if it's only me or if the W530 can't run inventor...

14. QuantumMech

Reputations:
    It looks like Inventor is ISV Certified, so it should be working: ISV-certified drivers for ThinkPad W530

15. crazy1

crazy1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got two 7mm 500GB Hitachi's (one in ultrabay). My ultrabay HDD was supposed to be 320GB. I'm guessing they upgraded me due to supply issues.

16. crazy1

crazy1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've read about this wireless card issue as well. Supposedly (I read this in another forum), a Lenovo Rep said that Lenovo certifies each card to work properly in the region it is being shipped. My guess is that some of the knock-off cards sold on Ebay that are illegally labeled Intel cards probably don't meet government regulations for every country. It would not be a happy day if Big Brother knocked at your door and took your laptop away, and charged you a fine, because you installed a wireless card not meant for your country or region.

17. QuantumMech

Reputations:
    If anyone's still awake, NewEgg is supposed to be offering the Samsung 830 128 GB SSD for $89 (with free shipping) starting at 3:00 am today. Get on it before it sells out!

18. dimsdale

dimsdale Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone found if you can download the graphics drivers for the K1000M or K2000M from nvidia directly yet? Has anyone actually done it and installed them that way?
    Thanks!

19. kenyee

kenyee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    has anyone been able to get this to work?

When I run the WiDi app, I get "unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology".

I've tried iinstalling the latest Intel Proset drivers (15.1.1) and Widi app (3.1.29) from their website w/o luck :p

I have a Centrino 6205 if that matters...

p.s., Finally got it working.

Had to uninstall the proset driver (after downloading the latest of course) and widi, then reinstalled both.
    So painful for a "consumer" technology :p

20. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    And in 2012! Sigh...