1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

W530 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by QuantumMech, Jul 5, 2012.

1. QuantumMech

QuantumMech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is the place to be to discuss anything and everything W530 related. Deals, specs, upgrades, performance, problems, you name it.

Reviews:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2012/07/10/lenovo-thinkpad-w530-mini-review.aspx
    http://www.laptopreviews.com/lenovo-thinkpad-w530-review-2012-07

My build:

2. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. slapshot30

slapshot30 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can we get a list going on all the parts that are upgradable?

5. djembe

djembe drum while you work

Reputations:
    The repair guide is fantastic and shows how to replace pretty much anything. I upgraded the memory to maximum and swapped the hard drive for an SSD. Regarding the latter, it's useful to know that the hard drive that ships with the W530 is 7mm high, not the standard 9.5mm high. This means that if you plan to do hard drive or SSD upgrades, it's a good idea to get 7mm high drives or you will need different rubber rails with which to mount the drive in the computer.

The CPU can also be upgraded (although that will probably kill your warranty) to the super expensive extreme version if you want, and the wireless card can be upgraded to something that supports 802.11ac or the 802.11-2012 unified standard, if/when those are released. The optical drive can be swapped out for a hard drive caddy, and there are 2 different size (and easily removable) batteries to choose from as well as a docking port on the bottom to connect to either a docking station or an extended slice battery.

6. slapshot30

slapshot30 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow, thanks for all the info. I've heard of some troubles with upgrading the wireless card though... Something about them having to be Lenovo branded, so I wonder if I would be able to install a Bigfoot 1103.

7. QuantumMech

QuantumMech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. K_Wall_24

K_Wall_24 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Repair guide? Does that come with the laptop or is that something you found on their website?

2 different sized batteries, your talking about the 6-cell and 9-cell that can be configured when ordering, or something else? I know for some models an Ultrabay battery exists, didn't know if that's what you meant when you say "and", or if you were just stitching sentences together.

9. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A search on "thinkpad w530 hardware maintenance manual" should lead to this page. Download the PDF therein.

10. djembe

djembe drum while you work

Reputations:
    As mentioned, I was talking about the repair guide in .pdf form that I found on Lenovo's website.

And yes, I was talking about the 6-cell and 9-cell battery options, as well as the extra slice battery.