W520 DisplayPort -> HDMI Problem?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by niriven, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niriven

niriven Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is anyone else having issues getting this to work with their tv? I bought a cable that is male displayport to male hdmi, it works on two of the tvs in my house, but not the other two...

Any tips are appreciated

2. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I doubt many have even tried that. 2 out of 4 isn't bad for starters. Are you using Optimus, NVIDIA dGPU only or what?

3. niriven

niriven Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Optimus, ill try dedicated oh both sides and see what happens... I doubt it will work though. 2 out of 4 isnt good, especially when the tv i want to use it with doesnt work.

What would you do, take back the laptop? I'm kinda annoyed as part of the reason i was looking foward to this laptop was i could watch some dvds though my computer to my tv :(

4. kirayamato26

kirayamato26 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If it works with 2 of them, I don't think it's a problem with the laptop. If anything, it is a problem with the other 2 TV's or the adapter not being compatible with everything.

I personally don't use TV's much even though I have a 47" LCD sitting in the living room, nor do I have any experience with DP (only seen pictures of it, haven't even seen one in real life) so I don't know what to do in this scenario. Though if I were to hazard a guess, I'd try another adapter.

5. niriven

niriven Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No, still does not work :( Tried Optimus ,decided nvidia, decided intel

6. niriven

niriven Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So apparently displayport runs at a lower voltage then HDMI and i need an "active" displayport to dvi adapter, then a dvi to hdmi adapter, then an hdmi cable. All this is going to cost over 100 easily :(

Apparently some tv's are picky about the voltage, even if its a slight differrence :-/

Edit: When I originally looked into the W520, it said it had an HDMI port according to the side photos. Only after ordering i noticed it was a DisplayPort and did not think anything of it (hey, ill just buy an adapter). Now im pissed off :-/ Will i have to pay for a restocking fee if i choose to return this thing?

7. Thors.Hammer

Reputations:
    Considering Lenovo erroneously published the picture with HDMI listed for the W520, I think you have a good case for a return if it's important to you.

8. niriven

niriven Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Right :( It's a nice laptop, but I'm highly disappointed in the fact i cant integrate it with my primary TV easily. I really was thrown off by that misleading picture they had (kinda my fault for not looking deep into it). Im still wondering if its a bad cable or if i really need an active adapter to keep the voltages up between the two ports.

9. Thors.Hammer

Reputations:
    It's the weekend. I would probably try some cables (purchased where you can return them easily if needed). Decide on Monday.

10. niriven

niriven Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As an update, I looked around further. I am going to try this:

HDTV connected to computer not receiving any signal - The Something Awful Forums

If you look at Alereons' post, he recommends to buy an active DisplayPort-> DVI, then DVI->HDMI. Someone on the forum already verified it worked for them. This costs $30, but this should be worth it as I have no problems with the ThinkPad otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.