W355 successor with 960m gtx has 1024 shader cores?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by franzerich, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I recently found this announcement on a chinese website. http://www.pcpop.com/doc/1/1075/1075533.shtml (I suggest Bing for translation though...). Now there are 2 interesting things shown:

1) It obviously shows a successor of the Clevo W355, which I think looks quite nice, as it seems to consist a nicer finish than the previous one.

2) The text claims that the 960m gtx has 1024 shader procerssors (instead of the rumored 640 processors)! Now if that is true it would be hell of a nice midrange GPU.

Fact or fiction? Guess we'll soon find out anyways...

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That would give it the same specs as the 965m so seems a bit odd.

3. franzerich

Reputations:
    Indeed. Well, I hoped at GDC Nvidia would reveal official specs, or the NDA contract with laptop resellers is over, so we get some hard data, but unfortunately it was just about the Tegra.

4. 7words

7words Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. franzerich

Reputations:
    This confirms the rumor for the 950m at least. After having a look at notebookcheck the 850m Maxwell seems also equal to the 860m Maxwell (aside from memory and core clocks), we could say they were both the same. The 950m seems to be in the spot between the 850m and 860m. But we still don't know if this data applies to the 960m as well. Could be a typo or misinterpretation from the news magazine on the chinese page though.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Sites will be putting out click bait all the time so will show any rumour. Best wait and see :)

7. franzerich

Reputations:
    Turns out it was clickbait or a badly researched article, as a fellow member found a review of the 960m GTX http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ounced-by-nvidia.762758/page-204#post-9950734

Screenshots show 640 cores only, and the performance results are as disappointing as in the earliest rumors.
    That's a real cheap move from Nvidia, but unfortunately they can do what they want, because ATI delivers nothing at all.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.