W230SD 4700mq + 960m problem

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by sharkam52, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharkam52

sharkam52 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all
    I recently upgraded my w230sd with 4700mq but now I am having a problem
    the processor is getting too hot(It is very hot in her)so I disabled turbo in throttlestop
    but the problem is whenever I load the CPU and GPU (like gaming) or even simple benchmarks like throttlestop ts bench+GPU-Z render test the gpu clock start fluctuating between 135mhz and 1200mhz(this is with cpu temp reaching 93 max with turbo off and gpu reaching only 56 max)
    I recently repasted both CPU AND GPU with Gelid Extreme and I am using the original 120 watt psu.
    thank you for your help

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Do you have some screenshots of the temperature graphs from some normal gaming showing from idle to throttle temps?

3. sharkam52

Reputations:
    Hi Meaker
    thanks for the quick reply
    as I said I am using throttlestop ts bench+GPU-Z render test so I am observing the temps in real time and the gpu never reaches 60°
    and the weird thing is that GPU-Z says perf cap reason is idle
    which is clearly not true
    Edit:I am using win 10 with the latest update and using every high performance option i can find.

4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    This is probably caused by your heatsink and fan. Dissassemble your heatsink and fan, remove all the dust that filled your heatsink and fan. Also make sure to reseat your Heatsink properly to your fan, then tell us how the new temps are.

5. sharkam52

Reputations:
    Hi Danishblunt
    I recently repasted My CPU and GPU but it is too hot here(ambient temp about 30°)so I disabled CPU turbo
    but as I said the GPU temp is very good(never reaches 60° under load according to GPU-Z)so I don't know why the GPU is throttling(It is really fluctuating between 135 and 1200 and not throttling)
    GPU-Z says perf cap reason is idle
    could it be a power issue?
    Edit:I also wanted to add that it never does this when loading the GPU alone and the CPU is running at full 2400mhz even though it is reaching 93° so the only problem is with GPU when loading both CPU and GPU.

6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    That's why I want you to open the case, and reseat your cooling. Check if you put enough paste on the CPU etc. Even tho your cooling is absolute pathethic, it should somewhat be able to keep the CPU without going beserk.

Also you can also do some undervolting, the 4700MQ on adaptive voltage do give way to much voltage to the CPU for no apparent reason.

7. sharkam52

Reputations:
    I am going to do that which will hopefully decrease the temp of the CPU
    but the problem of the GPU still remains as it does not look like a heat issue(It's temp is very good)
    My problem now is the GPU fluctuating clock as the CPU is stable even though it is reaching a high temp.

8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Well yeah, this is simple math tho. You have a 120W PSU, a CPU that takes 50W, a GPU that takes 75W.
    50 + 75 = 125W

Then the rest of the system such as Screen, RAM, Mainboard etc. also need power. There is your answer.

9. sharkam52

Reputations:
    Well this is the real question as I read others who have the same specs don't have a problem with the 120 watt psu
    And also after disabling turbo the CPU is only using 23 watts according to throttlestop.
    That is why I hope others who have similar specs chime in.
    Edit:I also read HTWingNut review and he said that the 120 watt psu handled 4710mq well.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    23 Watts on stock non turbo @ 2.4ghz, over 90C? I kinda have a hard time believing that. If you did some massive undervolt, yes, but stock, no way. I don't see how a GTX 960M and a 4700MQ on full speed on a 120W PSU would run fine. If possible try a 180W PSU and see if it still throttles, obviously after you fixed the temps.

Maybe you got a friend with an MSI notebook or something, the PSU's are plug and play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.