VR Ready Touch Screen Notebook? My brain is melting.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by doozer917, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doozer917

doozer917 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have been doing exhaustive research for about 5 days, which of course means I no longer know anything and feel like my brain is leaking out of my ears. My trusty ol' Acer Aspire is going on 5 years, and in the last six months the trackpad has become nearly unuseable, making even the most basic of tasks an aggravating nightmare. I've also gotten into game design and have started an immersive company with some friends, and have some VR projects on the horizon that I need to be able to code for and run on my own machine. So, it's time for a new one.

I don't plan on doing a ton of gaming on the machine, as much as using it for developmment and QA, so I've been looking at machines with the GTX 1070 (some 1060s) and 8th gen i7s. But I really, really love my touch screen, use it all the time (not just because the trackpad is garbage), and want to keep that feature. So far the best option I've seen that includes all of that is the Razer Blade 15 with the 4k touch, but the screen alone takes it from being a nearly $2k computer to a $3k computer (it is also currently not in stock). I was hoping to max out around the $2400 mark.

This will also be the first time I've purchased a gaming computer since my 2003 desktop. I do most of my gaming on consoles, so have no experience with brands likes Sager/Clevo, Gigabyte or MSI. For a hot second I thought the Surface Book 2 would be great, but the battery can't handle VR and it has no ports. The design-on-the-go aspect was really appealing, though, and fit my lifestyle and workload really well.

So, I'm at a loss. Anyone who's been down this particular rabbit hole before, I would GREATLY appreciate any input or answers you've gleaned from experience. Thanks!!

1) What is your budget?
    Max $2600 with financing

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15' - 15.6'
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Not really, it's a new frontier and I'm open to anything.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Game design (some rendering), VR, video playback/production, audio engineering, usual day-to-day tasks.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both, it'll probably travel to/from home once or twice a month.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yup, VR.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Would love 8+, 6'll do.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I'll buy without having seen it in real life. Only concern there is the weird frequency with which I've seen people complain of receiving computers with dead pixels.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Call me basic, but Windows is preferred.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    FullHD at least.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Not a huge issue either way, would prefer matte, but would more prefer touch screen.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Somewhat, yeah!

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Would love 256GB SSD, but think for my needs 128 would be fine.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5 years?

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    A couple of days.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I'd pay more, but have basically always had ship-out warranties, so this isn't a major factor unless it puts a laptop out of financial reach.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    katalin_2003 likes this.
  3. doozer917

doozer917 Newbie

Reputations:
  4. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is no laptop that meets your requirements and budget. Your best bet is to get an XPS 15 9570 with a 4k touch display and connect an external GPU to it via thunderbolt 3.

5. doozer917

doozer917 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the rec, follow up question if you don't mind: does anything under $4k stand out in your memory? Or is anything that comes close in the realm of $5k+?

6. RampantGorilla

Reputations:
    Well there's the Razer Blade Pro, but that laptop seems to have serious overheating issues and buggy software. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole. Plus you'd need to carry a car battery around with you to make it last 8 hours.

7. doozer917

doozer917 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've read a lot of mixed stuff about them. ALAS my touchscreen dreams may be over. The Alienware 13 has a touch screen but the best GPU it comes with is the GTX 1060 and I really want at least a 1070 for longevity's sake.

8. RampantGorilla

Reputations:
    It's probably worth giving Razer a call to find out when the 4K touch model of the Blade 15 is coming out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.