[VPCZ1] Windows 10 1803 update will not install either on main SSD or Secondary SSD

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by VPCZ12, Oct 21, 2018.

1. VPCZ12

VPCZ12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    UPDATE -- Bah. I decided to just destroy the raid and format as ahci & install win10 1803 on internal and win7 on secondary ssd. Now I can run 1803, but due to lack of raid, the performance has taken a little hit on primary ssd. Oh well, at least it works now.

Some brief background specs:
    VPCZ12LGX/B
    Core i5 420m
    8gb RAM
    Primary SSD: Toshiba SSD 128gb formatted as raid0
    Secondary SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 256 installed in ODD/SATA slot
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys.

Long story short, I've been dual-booting Win7 (main SSD)/Win 10 1709 (secondary SSD) on Cowboy's Patched bios with no problems at all.

Previously I tried to update the Windows 10 to 1803/09 on my secondary ssd, but I kept running into issues on boot, constantly throwing BSOD on boot with this error : INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE.

I've looked into it, and here are some diagnosis:

TLDR; Neither of my primary nor secondary SSD wants to take 1803/1809 update via USB Recovery Media or upgrade from 1709 through Win update. 1709 is working flawlessly.

• USB Win10 1803/1809 USB Recovery Media does not recognize the secondary SSD -- but recognizes Primary (internal) SSD. (Various forums suggests that that is because the newer Win10 installers don't come with SATA drivers, so it has to be manually loaded. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to solve this without a workaround mentioned in the next bulletin)
    • 1803/1809 USB Recovery Media will recognize the secondary SSD once you switch the hard disk controller mode in BIOS from RAID to IDE. Unfortunately I can't do this since I need raid0 for the primary SSD, and I can't switch back and forth without corrupting the primary disk.
    • 1803/1809 update will not install in the primary SSD (keeps getting stuck at 0 percent) 1809 can be installed on the secondary SSD, but the secondary SSD becomes unrecognized after installation so it's un-bootable. I think that the Bios needs an update in order to fix this, but one can dream.
    • 1709 installs just fine on either primary and secondary SSD.
    • On primary SSD, upgrading directly from windows update from 1709 results in a failure, as a result, the OS reverts back to 1709 omits the 1803 upgrade from the list.
    • bootloader configuration isn't the issue. I'm 100% sure of this.
    I've tried clean install, wiped both SSD but still a no go with the 1803 update.

I don't know what MS did to the 1803/1809, but man. It's a huge PITA. I noticed that some users are running 1803/1809 build with no issues, so I figured there's no better place to ask than here.

I want to thank you for reading and would appreciate any kind of troubleshooting on this issue. Thank you :)

PS: I'm dying inside.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. galaxyge

galaxyge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just a quick comment, as you already solved the issue.

Getting rid of RAID is something you should have done already long before, but I do recommend you buy a decent new SSD as the original ones without TRIM are probably near EOL and way slower than current ones.
    And once you do that, you could snap in a faster WiFi card as well...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...upgrade-ssds-and-wi-fi-bluetooth-card.796595/

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    VPCZ12 likes this.
  3. VPCZ12

Reputations:

Hi, galaxyge. Thanks for your input! I see your posts a lot in this forum! It's nice to see some people still being active here for our vintage laptops :)

You're right; I should have! I didn't know why RAID was seen as a problem for most people until now.

Now, as for the SSD upgrade installation for the dual SSD models...

...I have been considering upgrading my internal SSD with this 1.8" MSATA to MicroSATA and the 500gb Samsung mSATA

Do you think that'll do the trick? This one apparently doesn't require any physical mods which I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable of doing. Can I just install 1 unit instead of 2 unlike the original raid set up? So instead of the previous 2 x 64 config, I'll have 1 x 500, and the other slot would be remained empty.

Thanks!

EDIT
    Also how about this network card? Should be also compatible, right?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    galaxyge likes this.
  4. galaxyge

galaxyge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks and yes I still love this good old laptop! And it just saved my life once again, after my brand new Lenovo totally failed on me !!! ;)

The 16 pin Micro SATA adapter is just what was needed in my VGN-Z, but note that I have a slightly different model than yours - so safest way might be to open the laptop and once see if that 16-pin plug is what you have there.
    What Microsoft did differently in 1803/1809, I have no clue... but yes I'm sure putting in new SSD will work and return you to reasonable performance.

As another forum member anytimer mentioned, it should probably be even better to let the new mSATA SSD alone instead of keeping one of the old ones in. Keeping an old one may give a performance hit otherwise.
    In my Z, though, I kept one of the original ones, which I use for my Ubuntu Dual Boot and still works fine.

perfect.

anytimer and VPCZ12 like this.
  5. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The latest Windows 10 releases have a nasty tendency to silently try to convert your disks to GPT. Maybe that's whats breaking the RAID and dual-booting functionality. I'm running 1809 (17763.104) on my VPCZ1 (VPCZ115GG + bios hack) without major issues, albeit without RAID or dual booting. My Sata 2.5"SSD is still MBR, but my newer computers were all converted to GPT/UEFI without any intervention on my part. I actually had to go back to MBR to install Windows 7 on one laptop and use the free upgrade license offer, and when I upgraded to Windows 10, lo, my HDD was GPT and system was UEFI again.

VPCZ12 and galaxyge like this.
  6. VPCZ12

Reputations:
    Ah, that figures. Shame on Microsoft for making major under-the-hood changes like this and not informing its users. Then again, knowing Microsoft, I'm not at all surprised. They need to get their QA squads back and focus on the stability, which was one thing Win 7 pretty much perfected.

...With that being said, I am running 1803 as I speak! Everything seems to be working well, including the brightness control using the FN button, which for some reason didn't work on 1709...
    The ONLY very thing that doesn't work is the auto-brightness adjustment, but I can mange, since my fn brightness keys work again :)

I'll use Win 7 for maximum performance and vanilla experience and Win 10 for just maximum features and apps ;)

galaxyge and anytimer like this.
  7. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine too. Would you believe it - my Eurocom Q5 (Clevo P957HR) just died and is being RMAed back. My VPCZ1 is over 8 years old now, and still usable. Just got a new (compatible) battery for it. Have to do some work with the adapter DC jack, but this still outperforms today's entry level laptops. Size, weight, display, discrete GPU, SSD, looks, ... I love this laptop.

VPCZ12 and galaxyge like this.
  8. VPCZ12

Reputations:
    To this day, who knew that our old VAIOs would be our saviors in such unfortunate situations like these? ;)

Speaking of swappable batteries, which battery supplier did you go with the VPCZ1? I went with uBatteries and I think I will avoid them. Funnily enough, my win10 battery stats reports design capacity of the battery is 47,520mWh and full charge capacity of exactly 49,000... which makes no sense lol. I'm assuming they programmed it to hide the true wear level and capacity of the battery, which is pretty sketchy. The battery jumps from 20 percent to 4 percent, and I just don't want to deal with the whole shipping episode.

anytimer and galaxyge like this.
  9. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm in India, so my choices are limited. I got a Lapcare battery [EDIT] Sorry, Lappy Power. :rolleyes: Out of the box, it showed 3.7% wear. In less than 2 days the wear went up to 9.5% which I found very disappointing, but it is staying at that for the two days that have passed since then, so fingers crossed. Designed capacity 47,520mWh; current max capacity 43,010 mWh. I'm getting about 2 hrs backup in discrete graphics mode, which is fair, IMHO. I'll try the Intel graphics mode later and see how much backup I can get, but right now I'm watching the battery wear. It doesn't seem to be compatible with VAIO's advanced battery care mode - I set 80% but it went straight to 100%. Some issues with charge / discharge level reporting...
    EDIT - seems to be charging to 80% now. Yay!

I'm using batterybar and batterycare to monitor the battery.

Btw. I think modern batteries and laptops are using a different approach to VAIO's 80% charge thingy - they declare lower design capacity and don't charge the battery to the full real capacity, effectively copying the same trick of not charging to full capacity, but hiding it from the user to avoid customer complaints and confusion.

Btw. 20% to 4% ... something similar is happening for me too. I've bought another battery for an Acer laptop, so I'll let you know in a day or two if this is a VAIO thing or not.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    VPCZ12 likes this.
  10. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations: