[VPCZ1 WIFI LINK BSOD Fix + latest driver] Sony's Short Lived Driver Support & its Consequences

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by VPCZ12, Jun 25, 2018.

1. VPCZ12

VPCZ12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Disclaimer: I am quite sleep deprived at the moment, so I do apologize if I'm not being clear. Feel free to comment for any clarifications needed.

I had this laptop (VPCZ1) for almost 8 years now, and since the beginning & until now, I was experiencing random and frequent BSODs. With limited knowledge of computing, I could not even bother to investigate the issue, because I didn't know how to approach it. Whenever it happened, I just accepted it as just one flaw that this laptop had. I didn't notice any pattern of the occurence, except whenever I put the device to sleep mode, it would enter BSOD 40 percent of the time.

Whenever BSOD occurs, the screen displays a static for a split second, then the screen turns completely black, simultaneously the hybrid graphics fails, forcing itself to stamina mode, then shuts down after dumping crash log (although the screen is completely black during this time.)

Judging from the static, I always thought that the cause of this problem was due to the NVIDIA hybrid graphics driver acting up, but I learned I was completely wrong, which came to a surprise for me.

Yesterday, I was downloading a 17gb game on this device. At around 5 minutes at fairly high download rate (around 15mbps), the computer enters BSOD. Maybe the GPU is overheating? Nope. I re-attempt downloading, then the same thing happens again. I downloaded BlueScreenViewer to analyze the log.

Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter seemed to be the culprit of SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and couple of DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

[​IMG]
    (my my, would you look at the time?)

Ah! So I finally found you, you devious lil' punk. But the solutions were heavily limited because Sony only provided a single update for this driver, and switching to either versions of the driver didn't seem to solve anything, and they both were extremely outdated. I've managed to make my computer enter the same BSOD through the same exact method around 13 times for both versions of the drivers for the sake of debugging, just to make sure. Extended network speedtests = BSOD. Steam game downloads = BSOD. Googling 'bsod when downloading steam games' resulted in many users mentioning the same problem I was having.

The latest driver for Intel Centrino Advanced N 6200 is dated at 4/30/15 where as Sony's latest given driver is dated at 9/08/2010...

Of course, it wouldn't let me install the driver because Sony blocked off users from installing non OEM drivers. It would install, but it wouldn't find any network...

... but then I remembered how the Cowboy's NVIDIA patch worked. It enters the Windows test mode which allows users to install non digital signed drivers! So I entered the test mode (start menu>cmd.exe>Run as Admin>run command Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON>
    , uninstall old drivers, and to my surprise, it successfully installed the latest drivers from intel!

[​IMG]
    Now you have more features in advanced tab! :)

[​IMG]

best of all, no more BSOD's!! I continuously tested by downloading the same game repeatedly while streaming 1080p 60fps video on YouTube + extended speedtesting haha

I hope this helps for those who are facing this issue. Maybe it's just my laptop since there's no documentation on this on this specific model (although seems present in other VAIO models...)

Although I'm pleased that I fixed the issue myself, I'm also aggravated by the fact that SONY couldn't be even bothered to fix this issue and left me off dangling with this very crippled driver for the past 8 years. Smh.

Welp. I'm off to sleep.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. VPCZ12

Reputations:
    Just to update everyone how the BSOD is coming along, I'm happy to say it's July 3rd and havent had a single BSOD since the driver update :) [​IMG]

Primes likes this.
  3. Mr.K-1994

Mr.K-1994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Glad that you have successfully fixed it.
    Let's hope that a Windows update doesn't attempt to install something "updated" and screw everything up again.

4. VPCZ12

Reputations:
    Thanks! I'm still on Windows 7 so that won't be an issue. Ironically, the latest (unsigned driver) update of the driver is the one that actually helped remedy this issue. Old driver was the problematic one.