VPCZ1 upgrade to Windows 10 10240

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by anytimer, Jul 27, 2015.

1. jrum

jrum Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Asher's, if you have the time I would really appreciate a list of steps for the hybrid graphics fix

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1. Disable auto driver updates (System-> Advanced system settings-> Hardware-> Device Installations Settings)
    2. Use the Device Manager to unistall Intel graphics driver (under Display Adapters) and tick the delete driver files
    3. Restart without Driver Verification (Settings->Update->Recovery->Restart Now->Troubleshoot->Advanced->Options->Startup Settings.…)
    4. Install Andrew08 driver
    5. Run gpedit. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions > "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs"
    6. Enter the device ID of the Intel Graphics Device. The device ID can be found trough Device Manager > Display Adapter > Intel HD Graphics > Properties > Details > Hardware IDs. I also added the Hardware ID of the nVidia graphics card just to be sure that that wasn't updated also.
    7. Restart
    8. After restarting, the system will try to install the intel update for the graphics driver but will fail (because of steps 5&6)
    9. Using wushowhide, block the Intel’s driver update that it just tried to install (that way it won't reattempt on next reboot)
    10. Enable auto driver updates (System-> Advanced system settings-> Hardware-> Device Installations Settings)

anytimer likes this.
  3. jrum

jrum Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much Ashers (and papaFX). The only issue was the the andrew08 driver install kept failing. I ended up upgrading the driver through the device manager and selecting the "Let me pick from a list of device drivers..".
    BTW, the Vidock works fine!

4. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's great. As I mentioned, the only problem I noticed was that automatic brightness no longer works - does it work for you?

5. jrum

jrum Newbie

Reputations:
    It does seem to work... but rarely have use for it to be honest.

6. Juerg

Juerg Newbie

Reputations:
    [QUOTE="
    Instructions for installing Win10 in a VAIO VPCZ1
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you papaFX for the excellent guide, which so far is working well for me too. However, when I try to install the ProtectorSuite 2012, I get an error saying "Windows Biometric Service" needs to be enabled. There are various ways explained on the net on how to do that (gpedit.msc,registry fix), but the error
    stays. Other posts mention that Protector Suite is no longer functioning under Win10.

It seems however that you managed to get it working. What did you have to do? I don't follow what you mean with the Authentec 2.21 package - what is that?

Many thanks for your advice.

7. papaFX

papaFX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Authentec 2.21 is a driver. Using it will enable you to install and use the ProtectorSuite 2012.
    If you just want to use Windows Hello (windows logon via biometrics) you are good to go with the Windows default driver.

Juerg likes this.
  8. Juerg

Juerg Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you papaFX, very helpful. I'll try that driver install. Cheers

9. Raul R. Lupescu

Raul R. Lupescu Newbie

Reputations:
    But where i can find the bios hack and all drivers for download?

10. galaxyge

galaxyge Notebook Consultant

Reputations: