VPCZ1 upgrade to Windows 10 10240

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by anytimer, Jul 27, 2015.

1. papaFX

papaFX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi mokeiko,
    When I am having any trouble with ANY graphic driver I use DDU (display driver uninstaller). It will reboot your PC in safe mode (so you can uninstall any drivers) and it will disable the automatic driver downloads from Win10. It will then remove any remains from drivers (use NVIDIA and INTEL to be sure) so your system is clean. Then proceed to install Andrew08 driver (remember to enable unsigned drivers).

Hope this helps.

2. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try turning off Fast Start in power options.

3. mokeiko

mokeiko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will try these remedies when I get home. Thank you for all your help, greatly appreciated

UPDATE:

papaFX and anytimer, thank you for your advice. I used DDU as well as turned off fast boot and my Vaioz seems to be (cold) booting wihtout the black screen, yay. Again, thank you for your help.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    galaxyge likes this.
  4. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to windows 10. Thanks again, papaFX, for your instructions.

I took the lazy approach of using the upgrade icon in the task bar! Then it was just a matter of getting the video drivers to work... Like DRSHF, I found that wushowhide did not work - the driver update was not in the list. I had to use gpedit to disable the driver installation after I'd installed the Andrew08 drivers. Then, on reboot, it tried to install the drivers, but failed (because of the group policy setting), and at that point I could use wushowhide to hide the intel driver update.

Switching between stamina and speed (with the PC on) is working fine. The only thing I noticed is that automatic screen brightness (based on ambient light) no longer seems to work, but everything else (so far) is working nicely!

5. dlinnokot

dlinnokot Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

I've made a clean install of Win10 on Vaio VPCZ1. Motion eye web cam is not working.
    Does anyone knows how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

6. Ashers

Reputations:
    Did you follow PapaFX's instructions? You may have missed one of the drivers. What does it show in Device manager (for "imaging devices")?

7. dlinnokot

dlinnokot Newbie

Reputations:
    I did follow PapaFX's instructions.
    The thing is it doesn't show anything bad in Device Manager.
    It actually shows nothing: no unknown devices with yellow triangles.

When i try forcibly to find a web-camera, it finds nothing.

So i'm curious, which driver from PapaFX's list is responsible for the web-cam?
    Maybe I should just re-isntall it.

Thanks in advance!

8. jrum

jrum Newbie

Reputations:
    Ashers, I don't suppose you have the time and inclination to detail your upgrade method?
    The Windows10 upgrade has only just decided my VPZ1 is compatible. I upgraded via the task bar link and yep, the hybrid graphics don't work, nor my external graphics box (vidock) and monitor connected through the expresscard slot.
    I had a look for the Andrew08 drivers but I ran out of time and had to revert to Win7.

[later that day] And now I see Win10 upgrade tells me my pc is not compatible :-(

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  9. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Everyone, PLEASE keep in mind that this thread was started to discuss the IN PLACE UPGRADE to Windows 10. It is assumed that you are ALREADY running an earlier version of Windows with ALL DRIVERS ALREADY INSTALLED.

People who have questions about installing Windows 10 from scratch (clean install) should check out the other threads which deal with that topic.

Here is one that I started. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/vpcz1-bios-hack-windows-10-clean-install.779677/

timwjohn likes this.
  10. Ashers

Reputations:
    I just used the upgrade icon. If that says that your PC is not compatible, I think you have to download the Windows 10 media creation tool and run that. Fixing the hybrid graphics was tricky, but following the papaFX instructions with the edits I outlined above, I was able to do it. I can list the steps i took to fix the video driver if that's helpful. As to problems with vidock and a montior through the expresscard slot, i can't comment on that, as I don't have either. Like anytimer says, I didn't do a clean install and everything was running fine in Windows 7 when I upgraded.