VPCZ1 upgrade to Windows 10 10240

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by anytimer, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, that went well. NOT! I tried doing the clean install from the ISO downloaded from Microsoft and it didn't activate (that was expected). Installed everything successfully but couldn't get the blasted fingerprint reader to work. After much head-scratching and Googling, I've arrived at the conclusion that some things are disabled when Windows is not activated, and fingerprint reader usage is one of them (personalisation is another, but that didn't bother me).

EDIT: No, activation didn't fix the fingerprint reader. Got new version of ProtectorSuite. That fixed it. Thanks, pimjoosten.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/where-can-i-download-protector-suite-12.745182/#post-9747218

So now I have installed my original Windows 7, upgraded to Windows 10, activated successfully and am now running Windows Update to get the driver for the Intel graphics adapter. And yes, the fingerprint reader now works - I can give Windows the finger while singing in. ;)

EDIT: Windows update gave me a new driver that broke the fingerprint reader functionality. Had to get new software - see EDIT above.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. timwjohn

timwjohn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @anytimer, could this be the reason my Bluetooth adapter can't be found by the system? I've tried installing the Broadcom drivers but it just can't detect the module. Perhaps I should install Smart Network and try to enable it via that first...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. anytimer

Reputations:
    Yes, very likely. If you can't find a version that works on Windows 10, IMHO it is worth going back to Windows 7, installing Smart Network, doing all this and then installing Windows 10. I shall have to do something like this when I get my new wifi router - I'm not sure I enabled the 5 GHz band when I last changed the settings.

Btw. can anyone post the direct link to the Intel graphics drivers that we currently get from Windows Update? Getting them through WU is a real PITA - WU is just crawling out here just now; been trickle downloading it for several hours now.

4. anytimer

Reputations:
    Smart Network original from Sony website works. Install in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and reboot.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  5. timwjohn

timwjohn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes! That did it. Rather than revert to W7 (only to have to go through installation of W10 and all my apps again), I installed W7 onto a USB drive (using WinToUSB) and booted into that. Then I installed all of the software from my laptop's Sony support page. Managed to enable the bluetooth adapter and ensure the WiFi is on 2.4 & 5Ghz. I now have this working in W10! Thanks for the advice @anytimer

anytimer likes this.
  6. Mesenzio

Mesenzio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Right, I don't have the Smart Network installed, since Windows 8 there are bluetooth and wireless controllers directly from the taskbar so I find it useless. As anytimer said there is an updated version directly from Intel and if I recall correctly it used to work with Windows 8.

7. anytimer

Reputations:
    Actually, the old version of Smart Network downloaded from the Sony support page worked fine - installed on Windows 10 in compatibility mode for Windows 7. You don't get any confirmation that it has installed correctly, but it shows up when you reboot. It is still just as annoying as before, so I'll get rid of it pretty soon.

8. palkro

palkro Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That worked. Thanks!

9. Tool Tucker

Tool Tucker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, here's the million dollar question: I have a VPCZ136GG running Windows 7 with standard Sony drivers, no BIOS hack. Should I go ahead with the online update?

10. anytimer

Reputations:
    People have managed to get it up and running, but you can expect a struggle. You will have to install a graphics driver that is over five years old, and Windows Update will try very hard to give you a newer driver which will not work, so you have to disable the driver update part of Windows Update. I can confirm that the Sony utilities work on Windows 10, so all you have to worry about is the graphics driver.

I will not even try the stock driver that my laptop shipped with. Andrew08's driver is so much more stable. The next time I reinstall Windows 10, I'll try those drivers (those with the BIOS HACK can still do that if they set the VGA switching mode in the BIOS to DYNAMIC).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.