VPCZ1 upgrade to Windows 10 10240

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by anytimer, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Growler

Growler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks!

Would you be able to provide a brief step by step of what we have to do to upgrade, and where to get all the drivers?

Thanks

2. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This thread is about an upgrade in place. It is assumed that you already have drivers installed properly in whichever OS you are upgrading from, hence the lack of details, as such things have been well covered for quite a while now. If you have everything working in your current OS, you'll be fine after the upgrade - all the Sony stuff (battery care, speed/stamina switch, Fn keys (including brightness control which was broken in earlier OSs) works fine. Just the graphics drivers need to be reinstalled, which, IMHO, is probably a deliberate move on Microsoft's part so that the user is not left with a black screen after the upgrade.

I must reiterate that my laptop was set to test mode (permanently) before the upgrade (that was for another device, not the stuff in the laptop itself). So reinstalling the NVIDIA driver was painless - didn't even need to figure out how to enable test mode. However, other people are reporting no issues restarting in test mode, installing the drivers, and going back to normal mode.

You haven't mentioned whether or not you have applied the BIOS hack. The instructions posted above are with the BIOS hack applied and VGA mode set to static. NVIDIA drivers were patched using ComputerCowboy's excellent patcher.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  3. Mesenzio

Mesenzio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What anytimer said.

For a clean install I would follow the same steps as for a Win7/8 install, for example these (there was a fabulous topic even with links but I cannot find it).

If you have the BIOS hack take a look at this topic.

4. katanka

katanka Newbie

Reputations:
    I also can confirm this, I updated with ISO file and everythin went right.

5. Growler

Growler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, I'm stock here. Will I need to install the BIOS hack before upgrading, and then find the graphics drivers and have them handy?

6. anytimer

Reputations:
    Installing the BIOS HACK is a big step - a mistake could brick your laptop, necessitating, in the worst case, a costly motherboard change. It is not for everyone. However, for us VPCZ1 guys it lets us use static mode for VGA switching. This means that to change the mode from SPEED to STAMINA or vice versa, we flip the switch to the desired position and reboot. This, too, is a bit of a pain - you have to save your open files, reboot, and then reopen the closed files to continue where you left off.

The BIG advantage is that it lets you use the latest graphics drivers (for now, at least), so it is less of a struggle getting these drivers to work. Without the BIOS HACK you are stuck with the last successful drivers modded by Andrew08 who carried on Nautis's pioneering work. These drivers are now nearly 5 years old, and Windows tries very hard to update them, breaking the drivers if allowed to do so.

It took me several years to get up the nerve to go for the BIOS HACK. I like it; I'm not going back. Whether you want to do so too is entirely up to you. I will do whatever I can to help out in either case. If you want to proceed, ComputerCowboy is the go to guy for this.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/latest-vpc-z1-330m-drivers-for-the-bios-hack-people.602497/

The clean install guide for installing Windows 10 64 bit on the VPCZ1 with the BIOS HACK is coming. This week, promise. After that, I'll go and do the Andrew08 driver guide as well (unless someone beats me to it). Finally, I'll re-install my original Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10, claim my free upgrade, then do a final clean install of Windows 10. Whew!

honzomoku likes this.
  7. Mesenzio

Mesenzio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. cowtown51

cowtown51 Newbie

Reputations:
    Vaio VPCZ1
    Upgraded to W10 but had many issues using Solidworks 15
    Reverted back to W7 but now no mouse or keyboard
    Any advice?

9. palkro

palkro Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Were you able to get the Vaio Smart Network to work? If so, which version? The original Win 7 ones won't install and the Win 8 ones don't show the icon in the taskbar.

10. anytimer

Reputations:
    I have never needed to use the VAIO smart network - I installed it long ago, enabled the wifi and bluetooth, and then uninstalled it. The settings stick until changed, so I haven't needed to install it again.

Try installing a driver from Intel for your wireless adapter. That has a number of additional settings which should serve your purpose.

I'm doing the clean install thing right now. I'll try to give you more details later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.