VPCZ1 upgrade to Windows 10 10240

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by anytimer, Jul 27, 2015.

1. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    VPCZ1 upgrade to Windows 10 10240 from Windows 8.1 update 1

Trying the upgrade option first, just to get it out of the way. Will do a clean install in a few days.

This is after the BIOS HACK (thanks, ComputerCowboy). I had set up the system with Intel drivers obtained through Windows Update (device manager driver update failed), and with NVIDIA 341.44 patched using CC's patcher.

1. First upgrade attempt (in SPEED mode) failed and sent me back to Windows 8.1 (at least that part they got right). Googled a bit and found that dodgy drivers are often the cause.

2. Second attempt was made in STAMINA mode. All extra devices were removed (USB drives, wireless mouse USB dongle, USB connected external DVD drive, ExpressCard).
    This went rather well, but when it was done, I was back to using the Microsoft Basic Adapter. Opened device manager, searched for an updated driver, and after about an hour I had my Intel HD Graphics driver back.

Everything seems to be working in STAMINA mode, even the SONY stuff like the function keys for volume and brightness. I will try the SPEED mode next, but the STAMINA mode seems to be fully functional.

Rebooted in SPEED mode and, sure enough, I was back to Microsoft Basic Adapter. Luckily I had the new driver, duly patched, sitting on C drive, so reinstalling the driver was no trouble at all.

Initial opinion of the upgrade process: well done, Microsoft. This went a lot better than I had expected. I will continue to test various apps and features, and will update this thread if any anomalies surface.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    galaxyge likes this.
  2. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unexpected bonus: the Fn keys for brightness, which were not working in Windows 8/8.1 using latest drivers and ComputerCowboy's patch, are working again in 10240. :D

3. Growler

Growler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it possible to upgrade without tinkering with the BIOS? And if so, what drivers would we need to source to get the video switching etc working?

4. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    One of the really bad 'features' of Windows 10 is that updates are automatic and mandatory - i.e. you cannot choose to avoid a particular update. Now this includes driver updates, which has already resulted in trouble with NVIDIA devices - it seems Windows Update is installing the drivers twice for people with two SLI connected cards. This does not bode well for us VPCZ1 guys - we have devices based on technology that has been abandoned by all parties - NVIDIA, INTEL and Microsoft. I shudder to think what abomination of a driver Windows Update will force-feed us with. I'll give it a shot after I've finished testing with static switching, and when Microsoft activation servers start working again.

5. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. epguy3

epguy3 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  7. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. Tool Tucker

Tool Tucker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A lot of people are going to be coming to this thread after googling W10 and VPCZ1. It would be helpful if we could put together a step by step on the process once we have a foolproof method.

Anyone like to start?

9. Mesenzio

Mesenzio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I updated from Windows 8.1 using the ISO file created with Media Creation Tool and everything went perfectly fine. As anytimer advises in the first post, I did the update in Stamina mode and with all the USB devices removed.

I can confirm that the 341.44 Nvidia drivers works with the BIOS hack, as well as all the Sony software, from battery care, to the keyboard buttons of brightness and volume.

10. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations: