VPCZ1 Factory Reset Image?

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by craigomatic, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigomatic

craigomatic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

The time has come to part ways with my Z1 and I'd like to factory reset it before passing it on to someone else. It's the Australian model, not sure the recovery image differs significantly (specifically it's the VPCZ117GG)

Would anyone happen to have the recovery DVD handy? I've deleted the recovery partition and have lost the DVD :(

2. urgiv

urgiv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Save all important data

after start when VAIO logo appears press few times F11 will access to recovery partition

3. craigomatic

craigomatic Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I had deleted the recovery partition not long after I bought the laptop...

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    This may be too obvious to be something you have not explored, but doesn't Sony sell a recovery DVD? It always burns people up to have to pay for something like this, but they are usually under $20 and you'll avoid all headaches - unless you have already checked and they no longer sell them for Z1s. Second, it's always worth a look on eBay.

[Oops! What follows amounts to a rant - though a positive one - on the model you are "finally going to part ways with", the Sony Z1, which I haven't been able to do as hard as I try! I had no idea how long I went on until I posted it! Feel free to ignore it, though towards the end I talk about an interesting model that may prove to be a great move-up and a very reasonable price.]

Finally, help me out: how can you bring yourself to part with your Z1? I've been on the brink many times, but it's just such an amazingly versatile machine - easily add up to 1TB SSD or HDD in the DVD drive bay, 4 USB ports (1 via an EC card for $15 to get USB3), full size gigabit ethernet, HDMI, VGA, screen still has about the best color gamut even among today's best (also either phenomenally bright super high contrast 900p (100% sRGB, 70% aRGB) or the more modestly bright 1080p, 96% aRGB) - yes, they are TNs, but excellent horizontal viewing angles, and how often do you need flexible vertical viewing angles? Let's see: excellent backlit keyboard with excellent travel and nice firm "click" at contact, 3 lbs, meager battery life by today's standards, but armed with an extra hi-cap battery I can get 5-8 hrs and with all the brew-ha-ha, even most Haswells don't do much better in the "real world," let's see, what else: oh, depending on your cpu, we're talking around 2.4 Cinebench, 12,000 PC Mark, 350-600 sequential read/write depending on size of your SSD (but again, for less than $200 you can add a standard 7mm drive, though at SATA2, perhaps won't do much better than stock RAID0 - do you really need a faster SSD? Since I'm typing this on one, I should be able to identify everything this baby has/can do...oh, with nVidia 330M (gimped to 325M but overclockable, especially with modified BIOS easily explained in threads here - and nVidia's drivers continue to apply to this card; about 6,000 3D06 marks. You can even install WIDI with an Arrandale i5 or better and get 720p and use the firesale priced Netgear PTV 2000. Overall, performance pretty much equals Haswell Ultrabooks with ULT cpus/igps except for a little more oomph for newer games, but UBs are no gamers. You can install Windows 8.1 with few glitches and they are all fixable with newer drivers, you can change out the wifi card for a later model to get ac if that's important to you...Please understand, I'm talking to myself more than to you! I already own two Ultrabooks (Ivy Bridge) and am seriously considering an HP Envy 13T-3000 Spectre (mysteriously under promoted, not professionally reviewed diamond in rough - check out this foruma real sleeper of a Haswell Ultrabook, list price around $1,300 with Haswell i7U ($100 less for i5) not slower y), 8G RAM, 256GB SSD and QHD IPS screen (1080p saves another $100. You can get this with discounts and coupons for a little under $1,200 loaded as described above. The reason to check that forum is that the machine has been out commercially and shipping for over a month and there has been not a single review but enough owners have weighed in and I have never seen such a happy bunch with no significant problems to report - which is unheard of in a brand new model, especially from HP and especially for such a budget price - truly $500-$700 less than, say, comparably equipped Samsung Ativ 9 or Asus UX301LA. I don't know if you have already chosen or even purchased your Z1 replacement, but that HP sounds awfully tempting thus far. It's possible that the measured performance may be a bit under the top rung (though just as likely not) but I'll take reliable, great keyboard and trackpad, decent audio, beautiful screens to the eye, excellent build and no reported hardware or build quality issues.

Anyway, you should be able to get that recovery DVD from Sony and as for my Z1 diatribe, I've just been looking for someone about to do what you are doing to see what attracts them to trade "up" to machines that clearly look better, have better Bluetooth, touchscreens if you don't mind glare and fingerprints, and little if any weight superiority even though much sleeker looking than the somewhat long in the tooth Z1 design. Just a real tribute to that 2010 Z series (many of the virtues lost on the Z2 and Z3 models, even with more powerful std voltage cpus) that it is so powerful and versatile that it remains competitive or superior in nearly every category than the $1,800 Ultrabook that competes with it on specs and configurations. For me it's a question of keep around for spare vs. sell and the resale prices have finally come down to the point that it's almost criminal to part with such a great machine even by today's standards for around $600 at best.

Good luck with all.

5. craigomatic

craigomatic Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow you really like your Z1 :)

I was fortunate to discover that I had a copy of the original factory reset DVDs hidden away in a spindle of inconspicuous DVDs and have since managed to restore to factory defaults.

In terms of replacement, I found that once I started using Windows 8 with a touch screen device it was very difficult to go back to one without touch. I had been using my Z1 along side an older Samsung Series 7 prototype (touch), then a Surface RT (mainly as a consumption device), then a Surface Pro. When I got to the Surface Pro I could actually do everything I wanted from the Z1 just as easily, in a smaller form factor at an equivalent speed. PhotoShop, Illustrator, Visual Studio, etc.

Given that I *really* liked the Surface Pro (I was initially expecting I would not) and have since upgraded to a Surface Pro 2 (8GB RAM, 256GB HDD) my Z1 has been gathering dust for a number of months.

I now do all of my work on the Surface Pro 2 and really like the flexibility vs the traditional form factor of a laptop/ultrabook. In any case, I feel someone else should have a chance to enjoy my Z1 :)

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    That makes all kinds of sense. Like most people, it seems, you don't appear to need the extra ports, SSD capacity, long_typing keyboard, etc. What you do have in the Surface Pro is a screen that runs circles around the Z1s, with touch, tablet mode operation, lighter, smaller form factor, Wacom active digitizer/pen, a tremendously elegant design and vault-like build. That's every bit as long a list as mine was and, after you sell your Z you will probably have only a $600_$700 net investment for a loaded Surface Pro. I actually had an SP1 and liked it but felt I needed to keep a "real" laptop and couldn't justify $1,200 for a companion tablet, without the benefit of sale proceeds from the Z (or one of the other two laptops I can't bare to part with - note my screen i.d. :D). I ended up with a Samsung Note 8 (half price for open box) and it's perfect - for me anyway.

Have you sold your Z? What was asking /selling price? I check ebay periodically and it seems if you have a reasonably hi-spec machine in good shape, have some patience, you can probably get $600-$750 for it, more or less depending on config, condition and SSD size. With all my "loyalty" to the Z, I'll probably sell it as soon as the first premium Haswell ultrabooks are selling close to $1,000 with 8GB/256GB configs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.