1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

VPC-Z2 Mobile Broadband - where is Verizon?

Discussion in 'Sony' started by NotebookBurger, Aug 13, 2011.

1. rvrrat

rvrrat Notebook Enthusiast

You should be able to. I switched back and forth between Verizon and Sprint and it worked fine.

2. rvrrat

rvrrat Notebook Enthusiast

Here you go. I deleted my # and wifi stuff.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. luxaflex

luxaflex Notebook Enthusiast

I was able to register as well Downloaded Verizon Access Manager for Vaio Z from the Verizon website. Changed the Network manually to CDMA. One can switch back and forth through Access Manager under Network selection.
    Called Verizon and gave them my new MEID number which can be found under about access manager. They recognized it as valid and registered my account. Within minutes it worked normally and now shows active with my phone number.
    I did not download any new drivers from Sony. Also able to keep my AT&T working as long as I switch the Network back to GSM using Verizon Access Manager.

4. rmcx

rmcx Notebook Evangelist

Great! Thx.

5. drobin

drobin Newbie

I went through all the steps and loaded the Z22 software, and latest VZAccess manager. The Gobi can be seen, I can switch modes between GSM and CDMA, and About shows me the MEID.
    When I try to use the web site to activate the MEID it says it is unable and I need to call customer support. The support rep says that it is not a valid device (GPS blah blah) and it cannot be activated. He has no way to override it.
    Is there any way to get Verizon to activate a VPCZ21SHX?

6. simonlok

simonlok Newbie

I have a VPCZ22AGX. First thing I did when I recieved it was to put Windows 7 Ultimate (retail) on it, complete blow away. Took me a little while to figure out how to get the Gobi 3000 to work. I thought somebody might benefit from some documentation on this.

You have to install at least three things from the Sony Support website in order to get the Gobi 3000 to work. Downloads are here:

Sony eSupport - VPCZ22AGX - Support

From Network you need:

VAIO® Smart Network Software Update

From Wireless you need:

Huawei™ Gobi™ 3000 HS-USB Modem Driver
    Qualcomm® Gobi™ Firmware Driver

Take special care when installing the VAIO® Smart Network Software Update. The software package will run the installation twice which is problematic if you do not have the original package installed due to wiping the hard drive. Took me a few tries to figure this out but basically if you quit the installer after the first run then the package VAIO® Smart Network Software works fine. If you do not have the VAIO® Smart Network Software installed the WWAN modem will likely end up in a disabled state and will be unusable.

I have my Gobi 3000 hooked up to T-mobile. There is a $30 a month prepaid plan with 5 GB of data (unlimited text and 100 voice minutes that are unusable). To get this plan you order the SIM card off of the T-mobile website. Once you get the SIM card you can activate it via their website. This plan is not available in stores according to the person I talked to in a store. Must be done 100% online. SIM card showed up in the mail two days after I ordered it. I simply removed the AT&T SIM card that came with the machine, put the activate T-mobile SIM card in and hit connect in the Windows network connection toolbar icon.