VPC-Z Change Thermal Paste

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Ricefields, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There's also the Dell XPS 13 which is comparable to the Vaio Z13. However, doesn't have discrete graphics card (and not sure if 4K display even). The XPS is on the same level as the Macbook, depending on your taste.

2. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is not terribly difficult to change the paste. I encounter a lot of dust, so I need to clean the fan etc. every few months. Naturally, that entails changing the paste as well. The main points to keep in mind are:
    1. Remember where the screws go. Lay them out on a sheet of paper in the pattern that they are mounted in. Scan and print the bottom and place the screws on that.
    2. Remember the order in which you remove the various hardware modules. Some of them overlap, and won't go back in unless you put them back in reverse order. Note the dressing of the wires, especially the ones from the wifi module.
    3. Fan blades are hard plastic - will break before they bend.
    4. If you do it slowly and carefully, the GPU thermal pad is reusable about 3 or 4 times. Eventually it tears and then you need a replacement pad or the copper shim.
    5. The old (original) thermal paste on the CPU will be rock hard. Will take a lot of hard work to remove if you don't have the special thermal paste remover fluid. Do not scratch the shiny surface of the CPU, or the flat surfaces of the heat sink.
    6. Even the generic white or grey thermal grease works a lot better than one would think. I haven't bothered buying the specialty thermal pastes. If you do a lot of gaming, etc. you might get another 4-5 degrees with Arctic Silver or similar, but if you need to do it often, like I do because of the dust, then a grease that is easy to remove is recommended.
    7. The black cloth adhesive tape used to seal the gaps between the heatsink and the case and PCB will now be dry. Replace.
    8. If you unplugged the fan, remember to plug it back in before closing things up. Been there; done that.

3. Eric_K

Eric_K Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip. That's definitely looks like a good replacement for the VCP-Z1 - slightly shorter, narrower, and lighter, with a display that's just as large. I don't think we'd miss the discrete graphics card. We do a lot of streaming video, but definitely no gaming in this household. You're right there's no 4K display, but I think that'd be lost on a screen of this size anyway.

4. Eric_K

Eric_K Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you, anytimer.
    1. That's smart, simple advice. I've had the bottom off a few times and would have benefited from that idea before!
    4. Do you use a generic thermal pad for the GPU, or something specific? That sounds like it might be easier than the copper shim, if you've found it to work just as well.
    6. It hadn't occurred to me that a generic thermal paste might be easier to remove in the future. Good tip.
    7. What have you used for the cloth adhesive tape? I'm imagining black electrician's tape, but suspect that's not the same...
    Cheers!

5. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    4. I'm now using a copper shim. The first few times I did this, the GPU thermal pad was in good enough shape to be resused. Then it tore beyond hope. The pads for the GPU are available as spares from Sony, but naturally, they're not cheap.
    7. I use medical sticking plaster - the stuff they use for bandages etc. LOL. You can use anything you like - it is just to close the gaps so the air from the fan doesn't leak and is forced to go through the cooling fins and out the vent. Leaving the gaps un-taped will just reduce the cooling efficiency - not a problem unless you work in a warm environment. I expect spongy adhesive tape will be fine.

6. Eric_K

Eric_K Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks again, anytimer.
    4. Sounds like a copper shim is the best long-term solution, then.
    7. Hah - medical tape. Sounds perfectly fit to purpose!
    Cheers,
    Eric

7. enri1357

enri1357 Newbie

Reputations:
    After replacing the thermal paste and clean up the dust, my Z1 is working as it should.

My question is: If the fan is now working, able to blow heat air out, keeping the full loading peak temp at 100C, do I still need to lubricate the fan motor?

If yes, what material I can buy?

Thanks

8. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    100 ºC is extremely high, to the point of shutting down the computer. Is that the best you can get? I use Maximum CPU State to keep it at 95 ºC or so.

9. enri1357

enri1357 Newbie

Reputations:
    It has been improved a lot.

For last few hours, sometimes idle, sometimes have loading, frequently turbo boost to 3GHz
    min 33C, Max 98C
    Average around 55-65C

Even playing 10bit HEVC 1080P video is max below 100C no frame skipping, fan high speed

I tried getting a fan cool pad, but no use at all, running the same light internet browsing is 50-55C fan low speed