VPC-Z Change Thermal Paste

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Ricefields, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And now that makes me wonder what that original pad from Sony was actually rated. I do know the pads go up to like 17W/mK, but not copper shim high.

2. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK it appears it did the trick. Went out and got some thermal paste (Antec Diamond Nano 7) and low and behold, no more shutting down. Maybe the CPU paste being drier and harder than cement had something to do with it.

And seems like the thermal pad worked for the GPU. Running a GPU stress test right now with OCCT, fan speed went right up but no shutting down or freezing. Temperatures hover around 57/60C for the CPU cores, seems OK, but one seems a bit high, TMPIN0 is like 80+C. Is this the GPU?

And thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    timwjohn and anytimer like this.
  3. lolverse

lolverse Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys! Just wanted to show my appreciation for the guides posted here which helped me perfectly restore my VAIO Z13 which was having heat issues and shutting itself off even when I were just trying to install a clean Windows 10.

Therefore I took apart my VAIO replaced the entire fan unit, applied IC Diamond 24 Carat used a 0.5mm*15mm*15mm Copper shim even though my GPU Pad was intact, and apparently I removed what seem to be the plastic of a Double Sided Tape on the VRAMs and installed everything back.

The first time I plugged in the power supply, the laptop turned itself on and booted into Windows 7 fine, however after I shut it down through Windows I couldn't turn it back on and i panicked. But I took everything apart again and with only the display connected to the motherboard I plug in the power again and it turned on fine, also allowed me to check that the new fan unit was working fine as damn it was so quiet I couldn't determine if its working or not without looking at it.

Previously I didn't even bother recording accurately the temps when it was idling or when it hit full throttle as it wouldn't even make it there. Now the Temps are recording at estimated 45-40 degrees when idling and 80-85 degrees when running games. I am really really happy with the results.

Given the production date of the VAIO Z1 series, I believe many people will have issues with the fan and heat sink unit as well as the thermal paste not working as it did before. Hence, I decided to post the websites where I got my parts from, however, to whomever who is going to use these links, I would like to say that I was wary when I ordered the parts as it is clearly from a China seller and was prepared to accept if the unit turns out to be an imitation. Upon receiving the fan unit, I have to say I could hardly doubt its originality, but hopefully I weren't just lucky and that whoever orders from them would have the same experience as me. The copper shims aren't perfect but they are dirt cheap and they do the job as intended.

If linking such links are not allowed please kindly remove them. Thanks.

VPCZ1 Heatsink + Fan Unit Combo : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bran...Z1-Z1-Heat-Sink-MCF-528PAM05/32241605716.html
    IC Diamond 24 Carat 4.8gram Thermal Compound : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042IBAOG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
    Copper Shim (Chinese Website) : http://world.taobao.com/item/17617464062.htm?fromSite=main&spm=2014.12193480.0.0
    ArtiClean 60ml Kit (Makes removing Old Thermal Compound a piece of cake) : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007TOR08?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Total Costs: ~160USD (Shipping to Singapore address)
    Satisfaction of reviving my VAIO Z: Priceless.

edit* Forgot to mention the most important message, Thanks again everyone who shared their experiences and hopefully I could provide the same amount of help to the next person and much as the guys did for me before.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Paloseco, anytimer and timwjohn like this.
  4. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is the issue I have with my notebook: under full load (cpu+gpu to 100%) it shuts down unexpectedly, faster and always in the summer, and a bit less in the winter.

I've started already the following thread, but will duplicate here so subscribers can help me to diagnose where the problem could be:
    Sony Vaio VPCZ13 powering off on high CPU load (thermal paste burnt)?

----------------------------------------------------------------
    has been working perfectly since 2011 or so, until a few weeks ago. When I have the power plan to performance, and the Maximum processor state to 100%, it randomly shuts off several times a day, specially when I put a high load on the processor, which can be doing easily opening several Chrome tabs.

However, if I set the Maximum processor state to 70% or lower for example, I never ever have a shutdown, either using the integrated graphics card or the nVidia 330m.

1. Yes, under load the fan speed increases.

2. Yes, with two cores at 100% use the air is coming out of the vent and I can feel it slightly warm, at say 7 inches (19 cm) in a straight line from the exhaust grid.

3. The air blowing out of the vent is hot, I'll post more temperatures information next.

Ok there's a simple spreadsheet of the temperatures. The cores and gpu temperatures are measured with CPUID HWMonitor exactly just before shutting down. The exhaust vent temperature was measured with a K-type temperature probe for a multimeter.

Notebook: Sony Vaio VPCZ13M9
    CPU: Intel Core i5-460M
    GPU: NVidia GeForce GT 330m
    BIOS > Advanced > Platform Thermal Configuration > Throttle On Temperature: 93 ºC (default)

(TEMPERATURES\STRESS STATE)... || .........IDLE .........|| ...CPU+GPU STRESS
    ROOM TEMPERATURE..........................|| ..18 ºC / 64 ºF.................................
    CORE #0..................................................|| ..65 ºC / 149 ºC.. || ...98 ºC / 208 ºF
    CORE #1..................................................|| ..66 ºC / 151 ºF... || ...104 ºC /219 ºF
    GPU..........................................................|| ..66 ºC / 151 ºF....|| ...93 ºC / 199 ºF
    VENT EXHAUST (COPPER LEVEL)......|| ..59 ºC / 138 ºF...|| ...74 ºC / 165 ºF

If I select the optimus switch to Stamina (use integrated graphics), the vaio computer may shut down but much less frequently.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  5. slashandburn

slashandburn Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for this. I fashioned my own copper shim from an older laptop heatsink and a lot of filing and sanding. Also noticed the fins on my heatsink were split at a few points so I've patched it up with aluminium tape and cleaned and oiled the fan. Temperatures sitting around 45C idle and 85C under load.

I'm curious, why has there been no mention of the chipset during all this chat about the VPCZ1 heatsink? I'm aware it wont (or shouldn't) reach the temperatures the the CPU and GPU, but from what I can see it plays a large role in the alignment of the heatsink (particularly over the CPU).

It's on the other side of motherrboard but makes contact with the bracket that retains the heatsinks, through another thermal pad (seemingly the same white pad used on the CPU, not the thicker grey one on the GPU).

I might be wrong about this, but if one was to remove the white chipset pad from the heatsink bracket I imagine the alignment of the heatsink over the CPU would be affected, further complicating the issue with the shim on the Nvidia GPU.

Any thoughts? I'm surprsed it's not been mentioned yet, which makes me think I'm either over complicating things, or my model( VPCZ11Z1E) is slightly different.

6. Eric_K

Eric_K Newbie

Reputations:
    timwjohn,

I haven't made enough posts to use the PM function yet, but would be very interested in one of your extra copper shims. My VPCZ1190X has temps well over 100 degrees and is constantly shutting down due to overheating. Is there another way to reach you for details?

Cheers,
    Eric

7. Paloseco

Reputations:
    Edit the balanced power plan and in Processor power management set the maximum processor state to less than 100%, for both battery and plugged in. That way you will prevent your computer from shutting down since you are throttling the cpu.

8. Eric_K

Eric_K Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, Paloseco. I will definitely give that a try while I continue researching a longer-term fix. Seems like changing the thermal paste will be the ultimate solution.

9. Paloseco

Reputations:
    I'm afraid of breaking something if replace the thermal paste. Probably I will look for a newer computer like the Dell XPS 15 with 4k display or something like that.

10. Eric_K

Eric_K Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, I'm in the same boat in the sense that if I can't fix this machine I will end up replacing it. So I figure there's nothing to lose by trying first to renew the thermal paste. In addition to this thread (which is excellent), I found the following helpful video, which shows the disassembly of a Z11:

The XPS 15 you mention looks pretty sweet. I wouldn't consider it a direct replacement for the VPC-Z, however, since it is nearly a pound heavier, 1.5" wider, and 1" deeper. The VPC-Z is primarily my wife's computer and she loves how small and handy it is.