VPC-Z Change Thermal Paste

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Ricefields, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galexiz

galexiz Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the reply.

i have been struggling to discover what is the problem. i already found out that. the problem was the bad quality of the paste and that wasn't cleaned very well. i did it again, several times. the vaio worked quite well, but yesterday i realized that the Gpu possibly was damaged, i put a week ago the cooper shim in replacement of the rubber protector(broken), i followed all the steps. as explained in the several posts, but still when i tried to test the Gpu, the performance was quite bad, a lot of lag and freezes in not very exigent games. as a result, today i did everything again, clean, paste etcetera. now i have been testing the gpu, but the temps are over 100 (worse than before). at least, stamina is working quite decent (temps less than 53 using firefox).

i will continue trying to find out whats going on, perhaps i need to wait for the curing period for some hours. many thanks.

2. grendizer82

grendizer82 Newbie

Reputations:
    This is my first post on the forum.

Wanted to say thanks to everyone for their contribution on the thread, particularly to jollywombat and AGabi for the great disassembly pics, explanations & commentaries.

My question is the following:
    Can i replace my non-working fan with a new one, while keeping the same heatsink connected to the motherboard?
    Thus, not having to deal with any thermal paste work, and also saving a couple of bucks in the process.

Background history:
    Since the purchase of my SONY VPC-Z1190S in 2010, the fan always had a rough noise from the get-go (typical Sony fan default).
    But I decided to stick with it instead of sending it to Sony and wait a couple of weeks.
    The fan lasted almost 5 yrs. And now, it has died completely.

Initially, i thought that i had to replace the whole cooling system (fan with heatsink), and eventually apply thermal paste in the necessary places.
    But through my research, i found that the fan is sold separately form the heatsink.
    For SONY VPCZ1 Fan MCF-528PAM05 | Fleming Mall
    Sony Vaio VPCZ1 Series Cooling Fan MCF-528PAM05

So just wanted to know if i could make a nice clean fan replacement, without getting my hands too dirty.

3. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Short answer: no. You have to take the heatsink off the motherboard before you can take the fan rotor off the shaft. If you are patient with this, you might get it off without damaging the thermal pad on the gpu.

You might find that the fan is just jammed solid. Taking it off the shaft and cleaning the shaft and the well, and then lubricating the shaft with light grease might well give you another few years.

Handle the fan gently - the blades are brittle and will break if you try to bend them.

4. grendizer82

grendizer82 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for quick answer anytimer.

I'm going to proceed cautiously. I will try to update if anything interesting.

5. slipknotme

slipknotme Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. Did someone have succeed using fujipoly thermal pads?
    I'm planning using a 0.5mm 11w-mk for CPU and 1mm 6w-mk (high compression) for GPU.

6. timwjohn

timwjohn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the advice on this topic. It's been a great help!

My CPU was overheating at max load, and when I opened up my VPCZ19ME, it was plain to see that the paste had perished. On my first attempt at repasting I installed a Phobya thermal pad to the GPU. Needless to say (now having read through this and another thread) my GPU was in the 90s on idle! I think that was the moment I was most thankful for the for the hybrid graphics.

So, I knew I had to go down the copper shim route, but according to this post the gap isn't quite 0.5mm, and using a shim that thick may lift the heatsink off the Intel chips. I was able to source 10 0.4mm shims from China (ebay) and am pleased to say that all is running cooler. Idle temps aren't as low as some people got them, but my GPU maxed out on FurMark doesn't exceed 90 degrees.

Anyway, I now have 8 (I'm saving one just in case) 0.4mm copper shims spare if anyone wants one. I'm based in the UK so am happy to send in an envelope 2nd class to a UK address free of charge (as my way of extending the good deeds done here). Just PM me and let me know.

Cheers!

raczkri likes this.
  7. wahad

wahad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Interesting thread, let me post my problem here, maybe someone will help me.

So, I won't give up on my latpop still :) its 3 years old and for now performing great, all except temps....

So for the last two days i was playing with it, and finally managed to open it and do a thermal paste change. Way back someone told me that only CPU is in direct contact with Thermal Paste but it looks like CPU and GPU both are covered with Thermal Paste.

So I had small amount of Cooler Master TP from my 212+evo PC CPU fan and i used it, after i cleaned previous paste. But one thing bothered me. Around copper headsink, there's black paper like material around headsink, its nost sticky, no nothing, just standing there, so i decided not to touch it.

After a while, I managed to do everything and i assembled it. But when I turned on, temps were exactly the same or maybe even worse.

Idling around 55C and reaching 71C on 60% of processor usage (limited under battery options). One more interesting thing is that there's temperature spike. For example its 35c then it goes up to 50, then goes back to 43, and slowly stabilizes itself at around 50-55c idling on desktop with 750mhz cpu speed. Simple video reproduction boost temps to 65c, chrome and other stuff too, around 65-70.

I checked on the internet and I saw couple of people were bragging how their laptop temps dropped to 30c idle after thermal paste change + heatsink cleaning.

So, what I am doing wrong? I was never using my laptop for gaming, its just Chrome, Microsoft Word and Skype... and I'm keeping it mostly on my work desk. I'm not using ded card but its idling at 55c after changing paste.

Any help would be appreciated.

8. Tool Tucker

Tool Tucker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Before you go charging into this operation, and risk breaking ribbons etc, try cleaning the fan from on top first. You only need to lift off the keyboard by removing the screws beneath and detaching the keyboard ribbon (carefully). Very quick and simple.

I used a soft toothbrush dipped in isopropyl alcohol, a vacuum cleaner, and blew into it while holding the fan still (gently). Try to brush the dust up and out rather than knock it down. Some is going to get trapped down there, you just want to minimize it.

That was enough for me to quiet the whole thing down to like brand new, and didn't expose me to anywhere near the risk associated with removing the motherboard and heatsink.

galaxyge and anytimer like this.
  9. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you're worried about trashing the keyboard ribbon, you can turn the keyboard over (towards you) without removing the ribbon. That gives you enough access to do the cleaning ^ this way.

10. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just received an VPC-Z122GX from a friend in order to attempt a repair. The machine currently only runs for about 10 minutes, fan spins way up blowing scorching air,then shuts down on its own.

Am I looking at dried up thermal paste or is there something deeper with the machine? He did tell me several years ago he spilt coffee on it once, but I opened it up it doesn't look like it actually got in there, no moulding or stains on the board. Blew the fan with canned air, a cloud of dust came out but didn't seem to cure it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.