Vostro 1720 Beep at the start

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Consi Pit, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Consi Pit

Consi Pit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello
    I have got a little problem with my sister's computer Vostro 1720 with 9600GS . Sometimes when she try to turn it on - theres is one long beep and two short beeps after the long one . Computer does not start . When she waits a while and trys again everything is ok. - the machine is starting proper and works fine . Can someone help identify the significance of these signals please ? What is the reason ?

2. -Mr-P-

-Mr-P- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This beep-code stands for a graphiccard-problem. I would contact the Dell Support.

3. Consi Pit

Reputations:
    This is what I feared - thank for the answer . The machine is still on the warranty so I will contact suport on monday .

4. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    That particular GPU and laptop is not on Nvidia's list of defective GPU's. I own a 1520 and have had it for 2 years now and 0 issues.

One thing you can check is the exhaust vent and make sure it's not clogged with dust. You could also check the thermal paste and replace it if your sister has played games on it which would cause the GPU to run at higher temps.

By the way both the 1520 and 1720 are easy to work on. After the Vostro 1500 and 1700 along with the amount of failed GPU's from Nvidia, Dell made it much easier to take apart the xx20 laptops and check for things like dust on the vents and replacing the thermal paste.

Here's the how to if you want to try it yourself:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left to right: CPU - GPU - Chipset
    [​IMG]

5. Consi Pit

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot - especially for the pictures wich I will use in the future ( really regret that I don't have such good access to my M1730 )
    . Today tech-man comes to my sister - I will let him do his job :) .
    By the way - as for the temperature - there is 52-60 idlle , and about 80 , now in the summer even 82-83 when my sister plays Sims 3 for a few hours . Is that good temperature for this model in your opinion ?

6. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    No those temps are on the high side all of them. I think he or she needs to check the thermal paste, fan operation and clean the exhaust vents.

The normal temps for a P series processor is in the 37-40c idle and 51-60c on load. The GPU has temps in the range of 38-40 idle, 65-70c max depends on your power options.

Let us know what he or she found. :)

7. Consi Pit

Reputations:
    So now - after replacing the motherboard the computer starts normally. Temperatures at idle remained unchanged (50-60) . According to my advice - she cleaned her machine once in a week , and there was no dust inside - used more than a year ::)) . I did a test 3DM06 - temperatures like in the picture (three times each test). Dell technician wich I spoke with , said that the temperatures are normal. Luckily my sister has over 600 days warranty yet :) .

Attached Files:

• test.JPG
      test.JPG
      File size:
      205.6 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.