Voltage Adjustments? (G73 720qm)

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by xfinrodx, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCx

DCx Banned!

Reputations:
    That's a terrible metaphor. I know what you're trying to say - an OC'd 720 does NOT equal a 920. But, given that I can get more performance out of my 720 with no additional cost (like boring out the pistons) *OR* Spend $1000 for an upgrade, the end result remains the same - faster CPU, faster calculations. Sure, it's not *as* fast, but it's still faster.

2. xfinrodx

xfinrodx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say, other than getting the clear impression that you disagree with my metaphor. Let me explain what I was intending to be clearly visible:

Picture 1 features a little truck thing (a normal laptop) with a retarded huge engine (a super-overclocked processor). Yes, that processor is capable of some intense feats of ridiculous power... But it is wasted in the chassis!

Picture 2 features a Rolls Royce Ghost. A beautiful work of sublime art, both in performance, luxury and experience. The engine (a 12 cylinder, 48 valve, 563bhp glory box) is far beyond what most people in the world will ever sit behind in its own right. It is nothing like the engine in Picture 1 though. However, the engine (in picture 2) is scaled to fit the rest of the car, all crafted to go together.

Picture 1 results when too much emphasis is placed on one aspect of a PC. If I overclock my ram, buy the world's fastest ram, tighten the timings to unheard of levels.... but I run a stock 720qm?? Do you not see that I am just plain silly? The same holds true for the CPU. Yes, there are some situations where the CPU is not bottlenecked by the rest of the system, but in real world applications, as numerous and diverse as they are, should you put all of your focus and effort into ONE aspect of the PC (the engine metaphor), or should you go for versatility, ability to handle anything with increased grace and speed (Picture 2)?

I ask rhetorically, as people will choose what suits them best. I choose versatility.

I don't see a 920qm in your signature, but I would love for an owner to chime in with a g73 and post up a Cinebench 11.5 score or two: One at stock speeds, and one at your typical stable overclocked setting if applicable. Do be fair and post up if you are using an SSD or some other hardware that may yield a disproportionately inflated score! I would like to see what the worth of all this effort is, whether or not it is even worth it!

3. puterg33k

puterg33k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    +1 Finrod *cheer*

4. svl7

svl7 T|I

Reputations:
    Sorry, a little misunderstanding, the link I posted was the lowest price I found for just now which is about 440. I got mine back in November, I'm sure the prices will drop again, just make sure to check regularly. Some forum members got the 920xm for 350$, but you'll need to be quick when you see such a deal.

Thanks, great picture! Really great that it works so well, the cooling system on the g73 is great.

5. Yiddo

Yiddo Believe, Achieve, Receive

Reputations:
    Bumping this thread - Is there any news on overvolting the 720QM or a 100% effective way this can be done? Im running at 68oC max with my CPU o/c at the moment that to me is not an acceptable overclock. I understand the 5870m is hardwired is the CPU the same?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.