Volta: NVIDIA's Next Generation GPU Architecture (2017-2018)

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Aug 14, 2016.

?

When do you believe Volta will be officially announced?

1. 1H 2017 - Around GTC '17, at the end of May.

7.5%
  2. 2H 2017 - Around the end of Summer or early Fall 2017.

22.4%
  3. 1H 2018 - Early 2018, probably Q1 (Jan., Feb., or Mar.)

33.6%
  4. I believe there will be another iteration of Pascal for 2017.

20.1%
  5. I don't care to answer or speculate.

18.7%
  6. I don't know.

6.7%
  7. None of the above. I'll post below.

1.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ryogo

Ryogo Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't think there will be a price drop when the generation is out.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't think so either, unless they release mining cards or the mining craze dies down, I don't think there's much sign of that happening.

3. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Has it been announced yet?

I need more GPU POWAH !!!!

4. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Nope, nothing has been announced from NVidia, I don't think anyone really knows what kind of form the next generation of GPUs will take, although I hear a lot about it being Pascal but just on a die shrink and with GDDR6 - mainly because Titan V Volta was not very good at gaming for it's size & expense (tensor cores not useful, etc).

Georgel likes this.
  5. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I hope for something like Ampere / Turing that is a cooler architecture than Pascal, but then again I think mine is an optimistic viewpoint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I'd imagine the running temperatures are gonna be related to how far they feel the need to push up the core clocks using greater amounts of voltage. If NVidia are not under pressure to squeeze every last drop of performance maybe they will be able to keep the clocks & voltage lower & operate it at a more efficient place on the voltage/Mhz curve. AMD really messed up that aspect of their Vega cards - they had to push up the clocks well beyond their point of efficiency to try & compete on a performance level. Praps the next generation from NVidia will be cooler because they're not under any pressure from AMD at all - just a theory I've concocted right now! Such an approach would then let them re-release rebrands of the same architecture at later dates with higher clocks and more performance - kind of like how they went from 600 series Kepler to 700 series Kepler.

bennyg likes this.
  7. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Only good news for us, is that mining has not adversely affected the pricing of the gaming laptop market. Ampere laptops should follow suit with what we're used to paying.

Robbo99999 and ThePerfectStorm like this.
  8. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    NVIDIA Turing GTX 2080/70 GPUs Allegedly Launching in July for Gamers, Ampere to Succeed Volta in HPC Market at GTC
    https://wccftech.com/rumor-nvidia-t...eforce-lineup-ampere-to-succeed-volta-in-hpc/
    [​IMG]
    Fresh off the rumor mill we have another wild one. According to Igor Wallossek of Tom’s Hardware Germany, NVIDIA is allegedly launching its brand new Turing graphics architecture in July for the gaming segment. Igor, who’s the same individual that leaked NVIDIA’s Ampere codename last year, claims that there’s been a switcheroo of sorts.

NVIDIA is now said to be planning to replace its existing Pascal powered GeForce gaming lineup with a brand new graphics architecture code named “Turing” around July. “Ampere” on the other hand is now said to be a Volta successor in the compute, HPC & AI / machine learning markets.
    [​IMG]
    NVIDIA Turing Architecture is Designed For Gaming, Allegedly Launching in July – Ampere to Succeed Volta in Compute Markets by End of March
    This switch is somewhat unintuitive as Alan Turing has been famous for his work in the fields of computer science and cryptanalysis. Which makes the use of his name more suitable for a graphcis architecture that’s targeted towards professional applications, rather than gaming. Although, this latest update comes straight from the same source that leaked Ampere to begin with, so we’re inclined to believe that it has some credibility.
    [​IMG]
    English computer scientist, mathematician, logician and cryptanalyst Alan Turing

Ampere which has reportedly been in production since late January is expected to be revealed at GTC later this month between the 26th and 29th. Turing on the other hand will only enter production in June with an announcement expected that month, at Computex in Taipei Taiwan. A hard launch is said to follow a month later in July.

This suggests that NVIDIA’s alleged GeForce GTX 20 series lineup, including the GTX 2080 and 2070 will not actually be released later this month, but rather debut in June and hit shelves in July. Whilst a successor to the Volta V100 accelerator based on the Ampere architecture is what we’ll probably see an announcement for later this month at GTC.

Regardless of codenames, the facts around the hardware specifications of the new GeForce series are still the same. We’re still looking at a GP104/GTX 1080 class chip replacement in the summer, built on TSMC’s 12nm process technology and featuring 16gbps GDDR6 memory from Samsung.

[​IMG]RELATED Rumor : NVIDIA GTX 2080, 2070 Ampere Cards Launching March 26-29 At GTC 2018
    As always, remember to take this rumor, as with any other, with the necessary dose of NaCl. We should get a much better idea of what NVIDIA’s GPU roadmap looks like at GTC later this month. It seems the rumors are pouring in and won’t stop anytime soon. I’d urge extra caution in the meantime especially when dealing with conflicting information like what we’ve been seeing lately.

9. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Rumor : NVIDIA GTX 2080, 2070 Ampere Cards Launching March 26-29 At GTC 2018
    https://wccftech.com/rumor-nvidia-gtx-2080-2070-ampere-cards-launch-march-gtc-2018/

[​IMG]
    NVIDIA is reportedly readying a brand new lineup of GeForce GTX graphics cards based on its upcoming 12nm Ampere graphics architecture for an official debut at this year’s GTC in late March, a mere month away from today.
    Ampere has been a frequent subject of leaks and rumors in the past several months. The code name hasn’t been publicly disclosed by NVIDIA in any of its previous roadmaps, however several reports have emerged alleging that Ampere will in fact power the next generation lineup of GeForce GTX graphics cards this year. In essence NVIDIA is said to be skipping a generation in the gaming market, Volta, in favor of Ampere. Whether Ampere is a stand-alone leapfrog architecture or a tweaked version of Volta that’s tuned specifically for gaming is still unclear.

NVIDIA “Ampere” for Gaming, “Turing” for AI & Compute
    Two key features of Ampere include TSMC’s new 12nm manufacturing process and Samsung’s new 16gbps GDDR6 memory. The first Ampere GPU that NVIDIA is expected to announce next month is GA104, a replacement to GP104 ( GTX 1080/70 ) in terms of chip size and market positioning and a replacement to GP102 (GTX 1080 Ti) in terms of performance.

So, one could reasonably expect a pair of products with pricing similar to the GTX 1080/70 and performance similar to the GTX 1080 Ti/ Titan Xp. These will be the purported GTX 2080/1180 and GTX 2070/1170 cards. According to previous reports, GP102 has already entered end-of-life and is no longer being manufactured, while production of GA104 has been well underway since January.

I will also be remiss if I didn’t mention that the naming scheme of the brand GeForce GTX Ampere series has yet to be confirmed, and that “2080” and “2070” are simply placeholders at the moment. Whether the company will follow a 20 series or 11 series naming scheme is yet to be determined. Although, with the series coming out in mere weeks we shouldn’t have to wait too long before we know for sure.

English computer scientist, mathematician, logician and cryptanalyst Alan Turing,

On the compute front the company is expected to debut an entirely new graphics architecture called Turing that’s specifically designed and optimized for AI and machine learning applications.

Previously we’ve seen the company use the same architecture with chip specific tweaks and optimizations for different markets e.g. FP64, HBM and other component configurations that would differentiate the gaming products from the compute products.

If what we’ve been hearing is accurate, then 2018 will be the first year where NVIDIA is going to debut two distinctly different graphics architectures for gaming and compute rather than just tweaked chips based on the same architecture.

GTC 2018 will officially kick off on March 26th and will ends on March 29th, the announcement will likely come at Jensen’s keynote speech.Until then remember to take this rumor, like any other, with a grain of salt.

View attachment 155921

hmscott and Georgel like this.
  10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    As you can see from those two articles, the names for the gaming architecture vs compute/professional architecture have swapped places (Ampere / Turing) - I think that's strange, and casts doubt on the solidity of these rumours. The launch dates have also changed in those two different articles (from the same website). I'm of the opinion that these rumours are not solid and that new cards are not quite as near to launch as these articles suggest (ie. the March to Summer time frame mentioned in these articles). Having said that, NVidia have already stopped production of Pascal - I'm sure I read that, and they can't just run out of stock and not sell anything, so that would be a plus that would marry with a March to Summer launch of the new architecture? EDIT: just googled it right now: GP102, which is used in the GTX 1080ti has stopped production, so they're probably still making GP104 for the GTX 1080, although strange that they stopped GP102 still unless something new due to come out. Ha, I'm flipping between what to believe, but I think I'll hedge my bets and say that the new gaming architecture will be launched sometime this year, gotta be at least sometime this year!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    hmscott, Georgel and Dr. AMK like this.