Volta: NVIDIA's Next Generation GPU Architecture (2017-2018)

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Aug 14, 2016.

?

When do you believe Volta will be officially announced?

1. 1H 2017 - Around GTC '17, at the end of May.

7.5%
  2. 2H 2017 - Around the end of Summer or early Fall 2017.

22.4%
  3. 1H 2018 - Early 2018, probably Q1 (Jan., Feb., or Mar.)

33.6%
  4. I believe there will be another iteration of Pascal for 2017.

20.1%
  5. I don't care to answer or speculate.

18.7%
  6. I don't know.

6.7%
  7. None of the above. I'll post below.

1.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So this "ampere" talk is perhaps the compute nerfed consumer version with the usual 1/32 dp/fp64?

2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yup, if the lack of SLI support wasn't enough of a sign. Gaming cards start from Gx102.

Could be, with GDDR6.

tgipier likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    And from the RED camp... AMD quietly made some Radeon RX 560 graphics cards worse

4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A pretty cool article by Gamers Nexus on the gaming performance of Titan V (Volta of course):
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...marks-async-future-is-bright-for-volta/page-2

Their main focus here is in which type of gaming loads does Volta differentiate itself from Pascal: well basically DX12 & Vulkan (the lower level API's), performance is improved over Pascal by about 40% when comparing Titan V to Titan Xp (Pascal). Suggests we're gonna see about a 40% performance improvement with Volta over Pascal, but only in new titles leveraging new technologies, not in DX 11 where Volta has only a small lead of I think less than 20% if I recall correctly.

So far, not a worthy upgrade for my GTX 1070, I'm likely to wait for a larger performance gap, possibly whatever comes after Volta is when I'll upgrade (probably the xx70 or xx80 version of that architecture).

hmscott likes this.
  5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's definitely not worth the upgrade. Just be glad you bought pascal. Currently I'm stuck with a 970m...its not even worth the upgrade for me as I play every well almost every game either maxed or very high. One or two on high settings. And at 1080p. What's wrong with high settings

ExMM and Robbo99999 like this.
  6. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Yeah, good point, a lot of times Ultra settings don't look that different to Medium or High settings, yet cost a lot of fps. At the moment my GTX 1070 is pretty much running all the games I play at over 100fps on Ultra settings, so there's room for future games to get more demanding without making my card obsolete, and even more so if I turn down a few of the settings.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Before I sent it off to Asus for RMA, I frequently played games on High (saw no difference between it and Ultra honestly) and limited my GL702ZC RX 580 frames to 60 because the panel is limited to 60Hz and going over that would result in wasted frames... and it has FreeSync, so, there was no point going over.

60 FPS at 1080p is more than enough for me in terms of smooth gameplay, plus I don't push my GPU needlessly and it should consume less power too (which is a sensible thing to do on a laptop).

High settings plus 60FPS limit (or your panel/monitor refresh rate limit) seems like a good combo.

Not sure if there will be a need for me to upgrade this laptop anytime soon - except maybe the CPU to replace it with a Ryzen refresh and/or Ryzen 2 and 3.
    :)

raz8020, hmscott and Prototime like this.
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You guys are right about settings. And I don't feel the need to upgrade just yet.. Maybe in a few more years.. 2...but dang this GPU is 4 years old. I could be wrong.

9. Knight666

Knight666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Vasudev and Robbo99999 like this.
  10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    One thing's for sure, if new GPUs come out on the market while GPU prices are still as high as they are now = not worth it! I think it is down to the manufacturers to try & stop this ridiculous inflation of GPU prices due to mining demands as it is damaging their longer term gaming business - like that article says they could create dedicated mining cards and gimp mining performance on consumer gaming cards somehow, that would help.

Vasudev likes this.