Volta: NVIDIA's Next Generation GPU Architecture (2017-2018)

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Aug 14, 2016.

?

When do you believe Volta will be officially announced?

1. 1H 2017 - Around GTC '17, at the end of May.

7.5%
  2. 2H 2017 - Around the end of Summer or early Fall 2017.

22.4%
  3. 1H 2018 - Early 2018, probably Q1 (Jan., Feb., or Mar.)

33.6%
  4. I believe there will be another iteration of Pascal for 2017.

20.1%
  5. I don't care to answer or speculate.

18.7%
  6. I don't know.

6.7%
  7. None of the above. I'll post below.

1.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mr Najsman, jaybee83, Prema and 4 others like this.
  2. aqnb

aqnb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They seem pretty confident this time :):

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1330117

3. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well TSMC and ARM successfully pushed a test 10nm chip through in May and if 7nm uses most of the same equipment, it makes sense that 7nm wouldn't be far behind.

4. HardCore88

HardCore88 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys give me your honest opinion :

Based on what I red on this forum, you all think that if invest now in a laptop with Pascal architecture, I won't have the possibility to upgrade components like CPU and GPU, because in a year (max 1.5 year), new Cannonlake CPU and Volta GPU won't be supported by the current laptop models configured with Skylake and Pascal.

Is that what you say ? because I waited until now to buy a new gaming laptop, and knowing that its death has already been decided before it was born ... it's sick

I don't know what to do

5. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    They're rumors, that's all. You can buy and resell, worst case scenario. You may lose some money but that's the price you pay for always needing the latest and greatest hardware as soon as it is available.

My advice would be to purchase something you can easily afford, so that you minimize your loss and liability later on. Don't stretch your budget or open new credit cards for a possible "single-generation" product. :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  6. aqnb

aqnb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  7. J.Dre

Reputations:
    That seems more like they're searching for a development & quality assurance team. That doesn't suggest they're skipping ahead to 7nm, but rather they're just entering development for that process. Companies develop products years in advance of launch. ;) If they're still hiring, well... It'll be a while before we see 7nm.

ajc9988 likes this.
  8. aqnb

aqnb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe it was meant more something like just a supporting evidence pointing to 10nm being skipped (together with TSMC's claims about 10nm being focused on mobile).

Which indeed means the next node after 16nm would come a bit later (7nm compared to 10nm). So we can add maybe ~1 year to the estimates of when 2nd gen Volta / post-Volta architecture could come.

9. J.Dre

Reputations:
    Honestly, I think since Pascal was never meant to exist and primarily does be cause HBM wasn't ready, Volta will be around for at least two or three generations. So, in essence, I can totally see the third generation of Volta being 7nm. However, I find it hard to believe they'll skip 10nm when Intel is working with 10nm as well.

2017: 16nm or 14nm (with the introduction of HBM2 and new socket type).
    2018: 10nm (true Volta w/same socket & substantial gain in performance).
    2019: 7nm.​

If they follow this, the performance of first-generation Volta will likely be around 50% greater than Pascal. But the primary point and most important factor, in my opinion, is future upgradeability (or compatibility) with upcoming product releases. I do not believe any Pascal-based product released during 2016 will be upgradeable to Volta.

For the record, none of this is confirmed. Readers, let it be known that this is speculative and based on rumor. We'll know more after Pascal's launch.

10. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can someone please explain the benefits of stacked VRAM? And is stacked system DRAM in our future as well for the same reasons?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.